Friend thinks he's the "best gamer"

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've known my friend, who is 21, for about 6 years now. I've always known him as a very down-to-earth humble guy who is very awesome to hang out with. That's him IRL. In the gaming world (Xbox Live), he seems to be an arrogant douche who thinks he's better than everyone, raging when the game doesn't favor him and throws out taunts like "I'm gonna report this guy! He keeps on beating me!" We played Assassin's Creed one time and he had this winning streak on being the first placer for about 5 matches, and I'm always second. Straight after I broke his "winning streak", he starts being a douche by constantly taunting me and even went low with "Hey, you know Internet bullying right?" I just left, not because I was affected, but I just got sick of his immaturity.

We just managed to get a sesh on the same game again after a month of being busy with uni work and now he claims that he is "awesome" at everything and brags about how I am so enthusiastic with playing with him, then I end up quitting because I can't compete with him.

So here's my theory: Do you think that he is acting like that because he's actually a gaming newbie. By that, I mean he has never owned any video game system because his parents never bought him one. The Xbox 360 is his first console. What I think is he's still going through the phase of "gaming maturity", if that makes sense. What I think is that since he hasn't had the chance to experience gaming when he was a kid, he's in that child-like phase.

Have you had any friends who are completely fresh in the video game scene and acting the same way as my friend? Is there such things as a phase like the one I described? If there is, I would say that I've completed since I've been gaming for 10 years and I just play for fun. Don't care about competition, but if you rub it in, I'll complete with you.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your friend is just extremely competitive at this point in his life. No need to psycho-analyze the situation. If anything set a boundary with him, telling him what you expect from him when you play together...and let him know the consequences if he doesn't abide by your boundaries. You can only do this if you are fully prepared to enforce the consequences....which could mean possibly losing a friend, if his immaturity were to transfer to his personal relationships. Good luck. :)

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a friend worse than that, but he was actually good at FPS. He was the funniest person to play with because one minute he'd be getting tons of killing and he'd be pumping out insults en masse, and as soon as he dies he flies into a blind rage of how the person is lagging, the game mechanics are broken, the person is cheating, or some other thing. I have some hearing problems now and i'm pretty sure it's from listening to him yell into his mic. While hilarious...it wasn't pleasant to the ears, ahaha.

It might be a phase. It's possible, but i'd say it's more likely that that's just who he is. He's an incredibly competitive person. A very loud competitive person.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've known my friend, who is 21, for about 6 years now. I've always known him as a very down-to-earth humble guy who is very awesome to hang out with. That's him IRL. In the gaming world (Xbox Live), he seems to be an arrogant douche who thinks he's better than everyone, raging when the game doesn't favor him and throws out taunts like "I'm gonna report this guy! He keeps on beating me!" We played Assassin's Creed one time and he had this winning streak on being the first placer for about 5 matches, and I'm always second. Straight after I broke his "winning streak", he starts being a douche by constantly taunting me and even went low with "Hey, you know Internet bullying right?" I just left, not because I was affected, but I just got sick of his immaturity.

We just managed to get a sesh on the same game again after a month of being busy with uni work and now he claims that he is "awesome" at everything and brags about how I am so enthusiastic with playing with him, then I end up quitting because I can't compete with him.

So here's my theory: Do you think that he is acting like that because he's actually a gaming newbie. By that, I mean he has never owned any video game system because his parents never bought him one. The Xbox 360 is his first console. What I think is he's still going through the phase of "gaming maturity", if that makes sense. What I think is that since he hasn't had the chance to experience gaming when he was a kid, he's in that child-like phase.

Have you had any friends who are completely fresh in the video game scene and acting the same way as my friend? Is there such things as a phase like the one I described? If there is, I would say that I've completed since I've been gaming for 10 years and I just play for fun. Don't care about competition, but if you rub it in, I'll complete with you.

liek lolol! liek i'd luv 2 liek c him pleh like call of duty.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's probably an unknowingly sociopath. The reason why you haven't seen that side of him after 6 years is because he can manipulate how you see him during general activities. However, when he is caught up into gaming, the illusion he maintains for the general public wears off revealing who he really is. Just the fact you think he is a down-to-earth guy hints that he puts on a mask when he is in public. Also, the fact that he tries to convince you of his ideas further hints of sociopathic ways. Although, he's not a true sociopath because it seems that his unwillingly manipulation skills are rather weak.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
He thinks he is the best gamer (only) because he can compare to other users.

Let him play solo games instead of multiplayer.
He should face himself (RPG, Tactical, strategic games, actions, shoot'em up, etc.) and play for himself and not to show how great he is to others.

There are still sore looser who will think "the computer is cheating !" instead of facing they played badly.
And there are people who are just looking for pride to feel superior.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There are still sore looser who will think "the computer is cheating !" instead of facing they played badly.
Well to be fair a lot of the time the computer does cheat.

Hell, Nintendo patented it for mario kart.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=aT-pAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Reactions: 5 people

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They even patented mario kart algorithm? :O

Well, sometime the computer cheats too: In fighting games, it can chains multiple hard_to_make_with_a_controller movements without delay or difficulty.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had an 360 with XBLA I could show your friend that his not the best gamer beating his ass at Street Fighter II (that's only game that im good at :lol:)
really.... I suck at everything besides Street Fighter II... I guess that's because I only play RPGs

wow the mario kart algorithm!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a friend worse than that, but he was actually good at FPS. He was the funniest person to play with because one minute he'd be getting tons of killing and he'd be pumping out insults en masse, and as soon as he dies he flies into a blind rage of how the person is lagging, the game mechanics are broken, the person is cheating, or some other thing. I have some hearing problems now and i'm pretty sure it's from listening to him yell into his mic. While hilarious...it wasn't pleasant to the ears, ahaha.

It might be a phase. It's possible, but i'd say it's more likely that that's just who he is. He's an incredibly competitive person. A very loud competitive person.
We totally have the same friend. He yells into the mike at kill cams because he wants the other person to hear his cursing. I don't know where he gets some of the words lol.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well to be fair a lot of the time the computer does cheat.
To be technically correct: a computer opponent always cheats in some way (it's the way they are coded: they usually have to be programmed for things like human errors).

It's not what you mean, though. You're probably refering to AI's literally being granted the right to break the physical boundaries within the gaming world (eg.: it's not cheating to path a computerized racing car driver to drive perfectly. However, it would be cheating to allow him/her to get speeds the real players will never reach no matter what they do).

EDIT: as for the thread...I don't have much experience with gaming with RL-friends. It sometimes happens on board games too, though. I wouldn't say it's their deeper self. Rather a part of him/her that is triggered that way. Same with driving a car: you sometimes have people who are nice and friendly, until they get behind the wheel...and start swearing, tailgating, flipping people off and do things like that.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
@[member='R2DJ'], is this the same friend that took your $8? If so, he sounds especially like a butt. I'm not sure which course of action is better though: ignoring him or telling him to stop...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park...