Friend hasn't paid me back...am I being immature?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's get to the story straight: my friend owes me £8 because I lend him money to help him buy some games last December. When I decided to lend him the money on the spot, I asked him "Would you pay it to me in 2 weeks?" He said yes in a hearbeat and it went on from there.

After two weeks, I asked him for the money and he said NO because he doesn't have the money yet and asked me if I can give him another month to pay him. I agreed hesitantly (I was thinking "How the heck can you not pay me £8 after two weeks" but I agreed anyway as it was just £8)

So today marks the month since he asked me for an extension. I asked him just now and he told me that he forgot about it as it was his birthday last weekend and he was given money by relatives and spent it all on some stuff. I demanded him the money and he offered me Gears of War 2 + Avatar games (worth £4 when sold) but I rejected since I wanted cash and the shops will probably reject them as he said they're scratched. I made it clear to him last December that I wanted to be paid back with cash since it'd be better. He struck me with another "Can I pay you next month?" That pissed me off a whole lot more! I thought about it and finally came to the point where I thought "If this guy can't pay me when I gave him a whole 2 months of saving up, I'd rather ignore him"

Am I being immature? "It's only £8; get over it". True, but it's my money. £8 is enough to feed me for a whole week, and to see that go away just like that and not given back makes me feel reaaaaly stupid that I bothered lending it to him in the first place. I have decided to ignore him for the time being to help me get over it.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO your not money is money

give him a deadline and tell him pay or else

also ask for a item that he own that is worth the value of your money

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
No you are not being immature, it was your money he knew he was borrowing. Tell him to give you the damn money he owes you!!!!

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Pressure the fuck out of him for the money. Even if it wrecks your friendship. Never let someone who has borrowed money from you get away with it.

Also, this is more like blog post.

Reactions: 2 people

Harumy

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Don't ignore him, he has to pay... keep asking him for the money, so he don't have the excuse "oh i forgot", and tell him to save £1 everyday, that way he only needs 8 days -.-

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am probably the last person to go into personal debt collection (I hate even billing people for things I have done) but I am curious about the £8 thing- is that just lunch or what? I could probably feed myself for a week on that but it would be a "so I do not starve and maintain some functionality before next payment" affair and would want a fairly stocked kitchen in the first place to do it with.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tell him calmly he doesn't have to worry about it and don't bother communicating with him again.

It's obvious where his priorities are and it's not with getting your money back.

Make $8 by registering his contact information on random surveys, enjoy your 8 dollars back and his spam.

Reactions: 1 person

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I would say you were being used, and you have a right to be annoyed after 2 months of not being paid back.

Seems this friendship works 1 way

The Catgirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This has happened to me before, which is really annoying.
Yes it is immature, but not you, he is being immature about the whole situation.
It isn't that hard to pay back, like Harumy said
Don't ignore him, he has to pay... keep asking him for the money, so he don't have the excuse "oh i forgot", and tell him to save £1 everyday, that way he only needs 8 days -.-

All s/he has to do is save a pound a day, or if you are really giving him a month (approx 4 weeks)
he only needs to save up two pounds a week.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One time I lent a friend in high school $5 for lunch, every single day I ran into him: I don't have it. One day he never showed up again... died in a car accident. I wasn't expecting money back but he didn't have to die on me.

Reactions: 3 people

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies peeps. I went to extremes and blocked him on Facebook and Xbox (ignore him until he pays me back). But I kinda had a change of heart and told him via Xbox Live that I am giving him until Sunday to pay me. I have brought it down to £5 for him as his chat headset just broke so I gave him a chance to buy a spare. He apologised for leaving it for 2 months. I told him that he hasn't paid me yet so I don't see his apology as effective.

This just made me learn that I should never be a lender again. Trust is such a hard thing to give these days :(

Also, for an nth time, I forgot about the blog facility. *headdesk*

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had this happen to me before and you kinda have to make a call, which is more valuable £8 or your friend.
You can keep going on about it and prob lose a friend or you can forget about it and consider it a lesson learnt and not lend him money from now on.

For the record I forgot about my friends £15 debt

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lended some money once to a schoolmate (5 euro) and the jerk then said: I don't ow you anything. (so he went in the jackass zone XD, aka I was never nice to him again).
Also lended money to friends and my sister, turned out my friends always paid me back within days and my sister was the slacker (expensive bra's and dresses had a higher priority -.-" )

But do you know his financial situation? If it is good to average I wouldn't have lowered the ammount.
And also, it wasn't immature
(although I don't see the importance in FB :/ but that's just me)

badgerkins

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just don't understand people who need to borrow money to buy non-essential items. Rent, bills, emergency payments, OK thats fine and understandable. Don't lend money unless its really urgent and don't trust people soo easily; obviously that guy is not a true friend. Ask for the money back, I mean its £8 for god sake, can't be that difficult to gather. How old is he, 10?​

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...nobody posted this yet? Seriously? When the circumstances discribed are perfect?

Alright then, I shall to the honours.

[yt]ZomwVcGt0LE[/yt]

You're welcome, GBATemp.

Reactions: 7 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night