Hacking Friend Got Banned Today Even Though He Did Not Connect Pre 11/18/16

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if thats the case, then maybe its not nintendo directly doing the bans. the pokemon company or gamefreak could simply be monitoring who went online and reported it to nintendo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OR it could even be that the 3ds dosent actually connect to nintendos servers unless the person operating it tells it to. Im pretty sure if it connected to nintendo each time, it wouldnt actually require loadin the eshop because its already connected? just leaving wireless on wont nessicarily connect to ninty servers?

thats what i came up with if your wireless was on and you didnt get banned

I think the 3Ds doesn't connect Online unless specifically told to do so.

I never went online with the leaked CIA of Moon (everything was kept local like the in-game plaza), but I left my connection open/didn't disable the WiFi on the 3DS and haven't been stung (touch wood).

Looking at who has been banned (and what they've said) however, anyone (reviewer and CIA user alike) who tried using server based game features (like the trading network etc) got banned. If you used something non-Pokemon server based (i.e Miiverse) with Moon/Sun open, you didn't get stung.

Nikki_swap

The Lewdest
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably because it was the leaked version, ive been using mine all day since the release date (ver 16 pokemon moon) and no signs of ban or anything.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the 3Ds doesn't connect Online unless specifically told to do so.

I never went online with the leaked CIA of Moon (everything was kept local like the in-game plaza), but I left my connection open/didn't disable the WiFi on the 3DS and haven't been stung (touch wood).

Looking at who has been banned (and what they've said) however, anyone (reviewer and CIA user alike) who tried using server based game features (like the trading network etc) got banned. If you used something non-Pokemon server based (i.e Miiverse) with Moon/Sun open, you didn't get stung.
so that sounds like a plus 1 for my gamefreak/pokemon company idea...

probably because it was the leaked version, ive been using mine all day since the release date (ver 16 pokemon moon) and no signs of ban or anything.
where did you get yours?

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
so that sounds like a plus 1 for my gamefreak/pokemon company idea...

Now that some people detailed why in the 388+ pages of the banning thread, it may not have been initially the game but rather a weird combination of many things.

Gamefreak had nintendo get the servers ready weeks before the launch of the game, and distributed copies of the game to reviewers with the strict order of not getting online. The game got leaked and people went online, and since reviewers didn't see any harm, they followed (the 3 or 4 of them known)
Gamefreak noticed activity on the servers, which would be weird, and asks NoJ to check the server logs, possibly retrieving the entry data of each person that logged to the pokemon servers, and solicited bans for those who logged in any type of online activity of the game before the official launch.

So far, that's what i think it happened.

I also speculate that if Nintendo, however, dug further the info about the people logging to the server with the 3ds data(i don't know what exactly, other than the spotpass, games installed and activity log is shared), they could had seen that the game version of users doesn't match with the game version of the final games on the eshop, meaning that either they got it early or the game was illegally leaked, and took action with the hyperban and the NNID ban(if you used one). If they could, and based on this alone, they could ban everyone with the v0 of the .cia, but i dunno:unsure:
Keep in mind that i'm still speculating on this last part

Last edited by Geezerdorf,

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that some people detailed why in the 388+ pages of the banning thread, it may not have been initially the game but rather a weird combination of many things.

Gamefreak had nintendo get the servers ready weeks before the launch of the game, and distributed copies of the game to reviewers with the strict order of not getting online. The game got leaked and people went online, and since reviewers didn't see any harm, they followed (the 3 or 4 of them known)
Gamefreak noticed activity on the servers, which would be weird, and asks NoJ to check the server logs, possibly retrieving the entry data of each person that logged to the pokemon servers, and solicited bans for those who logged in any type of online activity of the game before the official launch.

So far, that's what i think it happened.

I also speculate that if Nintendo, however, dug further the info about the people logging to the server with the 3ds data(i don't know what exactly, other than the spotpass, games installed and activity log is shared), they could had seen that the game version of users doesn't match with the game version of the final games on the eshop, meaning that either they got it early or the game was illegally leaked, and took action with the hyperban and the NNID ban(if you used one). If they could, and based on this alone, they could ban everyone with the v0 of the .cia, but i dunno:unsure:
Seems legit, so it does sound purpousful to weed out pirates

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they could, and based on this alone, they could ban everyone with the v0 of the .cia, but i dunno:unsure:

A couple of other people have reported going online post release date and getting banned using v0 of the cia recently. If those reports are accurate, then its probably safe to say that going online with the leaked version is very risky as of now. They might be combing through the logs looking for mismatching versions as we speak.

No one has gotten banned yet using v16 or 32 cias right?

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RIP, I got whacked with a 002-0102 ban. lolol. good thing I did not have my real NNID with purchases on it

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, no. i have not tried any of the unban methods and seems like i cannot because i do not have 2 3ds, and my system have not done a transfer, but only received one.
i guess this machine is dead.
oh well, whatever happens happens.

this is also my first ban too, so idk if is ban is perma or not

but i saw some thread stating its perma, so oh well

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is the ONLY case where this "happened", so I will take it with a grain of salt.

He probably went online pre-release. They wouldn't have banned anyone, one day after release, for this reason. They're banning people who connected before release in waves, and yesterday it was the third one iirc.

Last edited by Sizednochi,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SuMO is one of those games that turns OFF the Wi-Fi protocol until you actually tell it to turn on yourself by going to Festival Plaza which activates local connections. If you don't believe me, press "Home" while running it and you'll see you're only in spotpass mode before it connected to the internet again, just like games that don't even have wi-fi.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a really hard time believing that someone who went online legit with a dump was banned. It's been confirmed by many more people that the medium doesn't matter anymore per se. And no offense at all, but what does age have to do with maturity? There is no correlation and 20 is pretty young. Of course I don't know you OR your friend but saying "20 years old is past the point of lying" is a complete farce.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a really hard time believing that someone who went online legit with a dump was banned. It's been confirmed by many more people that the medium doesn't matter anymore per se. And no offense at all, but what does age have to do with maturity? There is no correlation and 20 is pretty young. Of course I don't know you OR your friend but saying "20 years old is past the point of lying" is a complete farce.

However it is entirely possible that just because the medium didn't matter in the past doesn't mean that will always be the case. They could have implemented a v0+no cart header=ban check starting with SuMo as a test to see how well it works and if successful the system could be applied to future releases. Or perhaps their system isn't built to do that but since SuMo is such a big release they are having people go through the logs manually or at least semi-manually (i.e. grep and verify each match by hand). There is only one way to know for sure if such a check (v0+no cart header=ban) is being used and that is if someone who didn't even download and install the leaked copy until after the release date ends up getting banned.

Of course the standard method of banning people going online with SuMo before the release date would still be used regardless of any additional detection methods that may (or may not, who knows at this point) also be used.

Last edited by nl255, , Reason: Updated to reflect a way as to how such a ban method could be confirmed.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
today. i only logged on GTS once for a few sec
Did you do so with freeshop or leaked cartridge dump CIA?

Only "solid" info on bans is the e-mails some people got back from nintendo of europe stating bans are in place "for illegal predownload of the game"

I myself am feeling funky of any possibility for nintendo to actually detect illegal cia's online now - maybe even hidden into the game somehow. There is very wonky reports about people getting banned with the newest animal crossing update but I am not sure how substantial those are nor is there waves of people saying this like with Pokemon (then again it is animal crossing, and not pokemon. Not that many people are playing it as actively)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool