Friend Got Banned Today Even Though He Did Not Connect Pre 11/18/16

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xenon Hacks, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    So I don't want to cause a panic but a close friend got banned today when he connected this morning. He had the leaked moon release and beat the game never connecting online, the only time he connected online was on release. The only thing that comes to mind is Nintendo is checking for the "Journey Started" date and banning anyone who has a date pre 11/18. Now I know someone is thinking he probably connected by accident or he's lying but we are both in our 20's and are pretty much past the whole lying thing.

2. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Them checking for pre 11/18 if frivolous seeing as it's based on the system time, so I don't know what to say, either he accidentally went online, or something else happened, but it's doubtful Nintendo managed to snipe his system without connecting to the Pokemon servers and giving them solid proof that he was in possession of the game pre 11/18

Tomato Hentai and Koko-Kun like this.
  3. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    It's the only thing I can think of we are both 100% sure he did not connect online by accident, they have to be checking for something else we simply don't know about yet.

4. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    "You agree that your Nintendo 3DS System will connect to the Internet and to Nintendo’s servers—including in both Active Mode and Sleep Mode—for a variety of purposes, including to obtain system or User Content Restriction System updates, for diagnostic purposes, to transmit system log files as described in the Privacy Policy, or to receive Content." (Chapter 1, Nintendo 3DS End User License Agreement)
    Tecnically, they could retrieve the activity log.

5. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Sure, but 1000s of people have been "online" with Sun/Moon open pre launch. They didn't go online in game, but they were online on their 3DS, and those people didn't get banned.

6. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I thought about this but why pokemon why not all the other games like let's say the monster hunter leaks?

7. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    Because Capcom doesn't care.

The thing I posted comes from the old EULA, but it still applies in the current privacy policy:
    "Information we collect automatically. We collect some information automatically when you use our products and services. Some types of information we collect automatically include:
    [...] Information about your game play, online status, use of our online services, friends and friend codes, purchases, and other information about your interactions with our products and services.
    [...] We maintain log files which record activity related to the use of our products and services, such as the number of hits a particular webpage has received, the type and quality of a user's Internet connection, the type of hardware and/or software used to access a particular service, which features of a service are used and their frequency of use. The entries within these log files may include, for example, your IP addresses, MAC addresses, cookie information, device ID, transactional data, device settings, and download activity. We may use these log files, for example, to monitor traffic on our website, to facilitate use of certain services and to troubleshoot technical problems.
    [...] You can opt-out of the collection of certain information by not using our services."

8. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    Is your friend European by any chance? Afaik for us the game doesn't come out til next week.

9. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    You or your friend where playing the reviewer leak instead of the offical eshop version/physical copy version out in stores online so it only makes sense since it could be flagged/detectable online by Nintendo.

Last edited by Ominous66521, Nov 19, 2016
    elBenyo likes this.
  10. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Seems like the concern over the version string really wasn't silly. That's the only thing I can think of that would do this.

WeedZ and xyxa like this.
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    honestly it would be fairly trivial for Nintendo to be crosschecking actual purchases to what people are playing in cia format, that's why it's annoying that people always say "oh cia is totally safe forever lololo nintend can suck ball coz they got no pr00fz"

sure in the past they didn't appear to ban people using cia files but it's totally possible that they could adopt a more aggresive stance.....I would say all wait for the picture to get a bit clearer before jumping to conclusions as to the cause

Last edited by gamesquest1, Nov 20, 2016
  12. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    That's because a cart dump converted to cia has a version of 0, where legit eShop versions have 16/32. I'm pretty sure they can easily tell if someone is playing a cart or eShop version, so anyone playing an eShop version with the version as 0, they know instantly that they're playing an illegal copy.

13. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    A user has tested v0 online after release and has had no issues

14. xBleedingSoulx

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    As far as I know, the bans aren't happening instantly, they're happening in waves. I personally didn't get banned for days after going online.

15. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    So you think even though he was fine yesterday, that he will be banned in the near future?

16. xBleedingSoulx

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    It's a possibility, yeah, even the staff at Nintendo have referred to the bans as happening in "waves" in some of the phone conversations and emails posted here.

17. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Just the part in bolded may explain why I am ban free despite having put my hacked 3ds in sleep mode multiple times in the game. Because I opted out of collection of information.

18. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    I'd like to point out that he never mentioned reinstalling the game, so it could be that he got banned for using the leaked version.

elBenyo likes this.
  19. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I went online in game and i didn't got banned xD

20. xBleedingSoulx

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    How did you opt-out? Doesn't playing a game on their console class as using their services?

TotalInsanity4 and Quantumcat like this.