Hacking friend accidently updated his hacked wii...can I use NAND to recover?

bovined

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay so after I carefully updated my friends wii using the main guide on the front page and got everything working the guy had it less then an hour before he ran the damn official 4.2 update and now nothing is running properly. Luckily I made a NAND backup as the guide insisted. Now what is the easiest way to get his wii back up and running? Can I just use BootMi and restore his NAND flash and go from there? Or is there an easier way to get there from where he is at? Thanks ahead of time!

bovined

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoGamma fails to load backups and boots to black screen controllers turn off and USBloaderGX boots back to main screen, controllers fail to connect. Weird stuff I didnt even realize he had updated because things seemed to work. I believe HBC still loads. Thanks!

shepe

Trophies
XP
Country
Always 'a friend' who manages to update!

any way your friend has stubbed all his cios witht the 4.2 update follow the simplistic mod guide stickied at the top and follow the bit about modify 4.2

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
As GX and Neogamma use IOS249, the 4.2 update will have installed stubs, read here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.2

If you have bootmii boot2 intact then there's no reason why you can't use NAND restore. If the Wii was running perfectly prior to the update, then everything (including firmware version, cIOS, gamesaves) should be restored. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but I have flitted between 3.4/4.x NAND restores several times with no problems.

bovined

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to let everyone know what I did in case they run into the same thing...

I still had access to HBC and BootMi2 as an IOS.

I tried removing all the stub IOS and no go.

I tried reloading the IOSrev15 wads afterwards and no go.

I tried to redo the simplistic mod and no go.

I tried the "new" updated simplistic mod and that went straight to hell as the instructions didnt match what I was supposed to be doing.

I finally had to restore the NAND from BootMi2 as an IOS using preloader and afterwards it restored it back to the state where I could then redo the "old" simplistic mod with TBR and everything works fine now.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is absolutely no reason to use a NAND backup you made BEFORE you modded the wii. You still need to follow the steps to mod the wii again. The only difference is that you will be on a different system menu. Oh, did i say you? I mean your "friend".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.