Frets on Fire for Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CosmoKramer, Jun 1, 2008.

Jun 1, 2008

Frets on Fire for Wii by CosmoKramer at 3:42 PM (3,283 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. CosmoKramer
    OP

Member CosmoKramer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just wondering if it's possible to port Frets on Fire over to the Wii? I know there's a Linux version of FoF and there is also the Wii-Linux app. I know crap about Linux and have never used it before on a pc or the Wii, so I could just be dreaming right now. Just curious, that's all.

2. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    would have awkward controls but i wish someone would do this

3. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    How would it have awkward controls...? Couldn't you just use the Wiimote guitar from GH? Not everyone has it but just wondering. If there were to be a port, there should be GH controller support.

4. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, I know nothing about coding, so this is just an educated guess. It's probably possible, but it would have to be heavily modified to do so, and running it through Wii-Linux probably wouldn't be a good idea, as emulating takes more power than just running. I.e. The Wii has the harware to play games with GameCube graphics, but isn't powerful enough to actually emulate the GameCube. Poor example, as the Wii can play gameCube games lol, but that's only because it limits the hardware and shuts down Wii functions like the SD slot to make it think it's a GameCube.

And, yeah, you could easily use the Guitar Hero guitar.

5. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines

well for someone like me who doesnt have a gh controler

also usb keyboard support FTW

6. CosmoKramer
    OP

United States
    Wow. The PoC-Linux supports keyboards and SD Cards. I used to play FoF with my PC keyboard and wouldn't mind doing it again if it's on the wii. Putting songs on SD Cards would OWN.

7. lvholanda

Member lvholanda GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So With Linux on Wii we can play FoF?

8. elektrixxx

Newcomer elektrixxx Advanced Member

Australia
    You'd probably have to optimize the game itself real good to run on a Wii. At least you only have to worry about it runnin' in 640x480, so there's a good start for the optimization

9. lvholanda

Member lvholanda GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, i put the Installer and install? Or i put the folder into de SD Card and run?

10. CosmoKramer
    OP

United States
    Not sure. I would extract FoF and put the folder on the SD Card. But, what the hell do i know?.. [​IMG] But if you try it, let us know how you made out.

11. atrickpay

Newcomer atrickpay Newbie

United States
    If this was done it'd be cool to see USB Guitar support for those of us with the 360 version. That probably opens a number of other issues, but with flash drive support looking promising maybe we'll be seeing some more usb support in the near future.

12. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Just play the pc version, I don't see why it should be on wii. btw it's finnish game o/

13. mattlouf

Member mattlouf GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Does it makes it better ? or worse ? [​IMG]

14. unsteadycarrot

Newcomer unsteadycarrot Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    well the other thing someone could do is just let us execute a program coded in python (like fof) be launched, so you wouldnt need to run linux, just the python based app... again...im also no programmer so this probably sounds like complete babble.

its easy to say "just use it on the pc" but sometimes the pc isnt in a good enough position to use a game like this, my wii is on a huge tv with a decent sound system and it also means someone else can do use the pc while im playing fof on wii.

on the other hand, you can always just make some custom GH3 wii discs using my guide over at scorehero.com

fof would only be beneficial because of the sheer amount of songs at any one time you can have on there, its endless!

15. CosmoKramer
    OP

United States

Nothing like real GH3 Customs tho. I've used your guide before and have made some customs (which i love and still play)... I still use the .BAT version to make them.. Haven't given the gui a whirl..