Freshly setup RedNAND causes USB games to stay or not?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by MattKimura, Nov 8, 2016.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    There's been a mixture of answers when it comes to what happens when you install games in sysNAND to USB then setup RedNAND. Some will say that it leads to an unrecgonized USB in RedNAND while some say that it will safely sync and work in RedNAND as well as sysNAND.
    I need some input from those who had hands on experience with this. The rules:

1. Installed games to USB
    2. Setup RedNAND after
    3. Did NOT format sysNAND after

I just need some confirmation about this so I can plan ahead properly. If I have to reinstall Xenoblade Chronicles X, I will kill myself! I want to settle this once and for all. If not I'll test this myself and confirm it.

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 8, 2016
    FayDZet likes this.

2. Nezztor

Nezztor Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Mexico
    I Think the USB will work in redNAND

3. julienbdes

julienbdes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2015
    Canada
    I would like to know too. I got a plenty of games loaded on my HDD and i dont want to start back again for rednand !

4. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    If you dont format the sysnand, Games that you had previously installed to USB before dumping & creating rednand on SD will carry on working as normal. Installing games to rednand even if you dont unlink/format, May throw a error on sysnand if launched saying "This game was installed with a different NNID). This is because the titl.tik, Or some installed data is installed to nand by default, & having been installed on rednand's nand, Sysnand doesnt have this data or titl.tik & cant launch the game.

If you format sysnand after dumping & creating rednand on your SD, The games you had installed on USB before you formatted will no longer work. You'll have to reformat the USB with the nand that you'll be using as your main nand for use. Iv unlinked/formatted my sysnand & reformatted my USB with rednand because thats the nand Ill be using as my main nand from now on with all my games/saves/DLC/online.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Nov 8, 2016
  5. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Any game installed to the hard drive in sysnand will work on Rednand but if you install the game in rednand to the hard drive it won't work on sysnand due to the ticket not being installed to the nand.

6. Dlddu

Dlddu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2016
    If you do not format sysnand, USB still works fine in both sysNand and RedNand.
    Also, sysNand and RedNand share saves if game is installed in USB.

7. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Any reason why you formatted sysnand? Just be on the safe side in case things come in favor for those who unlinked nands, right?

8. GearCross

GearCross Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2016
    Portugal
    From the experience that I had with RedNAND so far:

-Any games you already had installed and updated on SysNAND before making the RedNAND will work on either.

-Any games that you install after making the RedNAND will not launch on the other NAND.
    E.g: If you install Xenoblade Chronicles X and update on SysNAND the game will not launch on RedNAND saying that there's a problem with the update data then prompts you to delete it and re-download, or just display an error saying the NNID used to purchase that game was deleted and prompts you to delete the data.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have not formatted my SysNAND, so they're both linked.

Last edited by GearCross, Nov 8, 2016
    leonmagnus99 and BIFFTAZ like this.
  9. BIFFTAZ

Jul 26, 2010
    Not really. Just wanted them unlinked because I wanted my nand fresh, Untouched.

BTW, I edit my previous post.

10. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    When we mention "Installed games", there's always a difference between "USB Installed" and "Internally Installed" games. It's best to state:
    - If you unlinked (Which you have)
    - If using USB or internal memory

Can someone confirm this statement about RedNAND, linked nands:

• Games that you install to USB in RedNAND can also be played on sysNAND (Except Eshop games). Games that you install to internal memory in RedNAND can only be played in RedNAND

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 8, 2016
  11. GearCross

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2016
    Portugal
    I haven't unlinked since I haven't formatted SysNAND. Yeah, I forgot to mention, all my installations were to an USB external HDD.

I don't have any games that don't have updates installed on RedNAND but those that I have installed to RedNAND that are not eshop games will either display an update data error, or if I have DLC installed it'll just complain that there's an error with add on content and again prompts me to remove it.

Don't quote me on this but from logic; games installed into the internal memory will only be able to be played on the NAND you installed them to. The other NAND will not even see it. Unless you had a game installed to internal memory before making the RedNAND, then it'll be playable on either (You basically have the same game installed on different places so saves will not be shared)

MattKimura likes this.
  12. FayDZet

FayDZet Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I have installed rednand right now successfully, I had no games on USB tho, I moved them in my internal storage before I dumped and installed rednand to my sd, can I format my sysNAND without losing anything on my rednand (all my games)

13. BIFFTAZ

Jul 26, 2010
    Not always. Games that install to USB on either nand may not work on the other while linked. When installing games, Tik's or game data (Or something) gets copied to the nand that your using at the same time your installing to USB. I said this in my previous post...

As for installing to internal storage, Its the same for both. Internally installed games will only work on the nand it was installed on... Obviously.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Nov 8, 2016
  14. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Mine worked fine I had a 2tb Y-Cabled External HDD with a Power Supply to the mains full of games before setting up Rednand and it worked fine in Rednand after install, as well as working the same in Systemnand. Also games seem to work installing in Rednand on USB as in Systemnand or vice versa the only conflict I get is installing DLC in Rednand say MK8 and then booting MK8 in Systemnand the DLC comes up as Data Management problems and needs deleting, now whether you can delete the DLC in Systemnand to get rid of the nag and it still works in Rednand, I'm not sure, it was a question I wanted to get answered? Also I have not formatted Systemnand i.e unlinking the nands I would not suggest this as yet apparently you will lose all your games on your USB HDD to Systemnand & Rednand by doing this step and you will have to install them all from scratch again!

Last edited by Reecey, Nov 8, 2016
  15. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Quick question (sry if it's already answered)
    How do I install games to my usb drive while using rednand?
    I mean the sd card is already in use and mounted, isn't it?

16. GearCross

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2016
    Portugal
    I don't know how the system will behave if you remove the SD card while it's running on the RedNAND but I never tried nor want to unless someone more experienced with it says it's ok.

What I do is I fill the FAT32 partition of the SD card that contains the RedNAND with the games that I want to install then just use System Config tool or WUPInstaller to install them to the USB HDD.

Net-KILLER likes this.
  17. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Oh so there is a fat32 partition which is still usable for homebrew and gamedumps?
    Great - that's what I'm looking for.
    I guess I have to buy a 128gb sd because I got the 32 gb WiiU and some games got 15+ gb, right?

18. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    If you remove the SD card while in rednand the wiiu will crash because it is continuously reading files from the redNAND on the SD card. So even if you could remove the SD card when you install a game even to USB a tik file is still installed to the nand/rednand which makes the game boot if your SD card with rednand is removed how is it going to install the tik file to Rednand in order for the game to boot answer it can't.

Last edited by Marko76, Nov 8, 2016
    Net-KILLER and GearCross like this.
  19. GearCross

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2016
    Portugal
    That is correct. Though a 64GB card should do the trick since you will have 29GB -give or take- of space available to place games. Though a 128GB card will allow you to avoid powering off the Wii U and taking the card out as often to re-fill with more games.

Thanks for clearing that out! I suspected as much but didn't want to take any chances since this is all too new.

Net-KILLER likes this.
  20. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Yes a 64gb SD card will be fine as there is only about two or three games bigger than 29 gb.

Net-KILLER likes this.