1. Freckles

OP Freckles Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I have high temperatures in my recently RGH'd falcon. CPU: 52C, GPU 71C and Memory 80C Case 43C. It crashed after 5 minutes too i'm assuming due to excess heat. Which are the memory chips? i know there are 4 chips topside around what actually looks like the GPU, there are 4 chips bottom side with heat/thermal pads, not sure if these are sufficient anymore. Plus I've read the HANA chip may need some sort of cooling also. I'm about to clean and reapply thermal paste to tackle the GPU and CPU.

1) What can people recommend for cooling the memory chips? gluing coins? get some small heatsinks?
    2) Which are the memory chips?
    3) Is it worth cooling the HANA chip and others?

Thanks in advanced all

2. cracker

cracker Nyah!

United States
    You can get kits on eBay, etc that has thermal pads and heatsinks for the chips. Does the board look warped? If it didn't happen before RGHing then I would bet it is an RRoD coming on from working on the board. I had to (attempt to) fix heat issues on my Falcon with the xclamp fix, pennies, etc. but nothing ever helped for long. Applying new thermal compound and checking for warping is a good place to start. If you have heat issues then it will affect everything and the HANA chip should get a heatsink (and pressure) as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    overheating results in two red lights. it's not rrod, but it could be headed in that direction. I have a falcon jtag, and my temps are in F 120-130 degrees. the ram runs a little hotter. have you tried using temp thresholds? since it's crashing, I wouldn't recommend doing it to a NAND image but through dashlaunch. it's been a long time since I messed with dashlaunch in that manner, but my temp thresholds are at 60 C (140F).

edit: btw, 10 degrees C or less is considered normal between CPU and GPU (just in general), but each system and mobo is different.

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Yank the fan up.
    Replace the thermal paste and get some heatsink plaster to attach some small copper heatsinks to the RAM chips and HANA chip.

It's what I did to me Falcon RGH and me bf his Falcon RGH and both have temps that won't go over 65 under stress in summer.

Edit: get new thermal pads for the RAM chips on the bottom side.
    The casing acts as a heatsink.

5. CORE

CORE 3:16

United Kingdom
    Stock Fans set at 50/70% Below 60 Degrees maybe 55 to be extra Safe.

Stock Fans set to go up 100% at 60 Degrees maybe 55 to be extra Safe.

Additional 40/80mm Fan attach to Smaller Copper GPU Heatsink Spliced into Stock Fans or 12v DVD Drive but not controllable if not Spliced with Stock Fans.

Xenon CPU Copper Heatsink with Falcon GPU Copper Heatsink that what I have combine with RAM and HANA Heatsinks and RAM Heat Pads underside as DinohScene mentioned.

My Falcon stays at a nice 55 Degrees and it not at all noisy unless 100% Fan Speed although unfortunately I get Random RROD and thing Crashes Constantly so I dont use it.

JTAG Falcon Random RROD at times Crashes even idle Unstable. [Bad JTAG?]

JTAG Xenon Somewhat Reliable Random RROD at times. External DVD in HDDVD Case 120mm Fan Aluminium CPU/GPU Heatsinks Stock Fans adjusted. [Bad JTAG?]

JTAG Xenon. External DVD in HDDVD Case 120mm Fan Aluminium CPU/GPU Heatsinks Stock Fans adjusted.

RGH Trinity. Stock Fan adjusted 50% unless hits 60 Degrees but never does.

6. Freckles

OP Freckles Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback all, i truly appreciate it!

No, the board doesn't look warped at all, It's never RRoD'd either. This is the first time it's ever crashed and likely due to me doing much of the pulling and holding on the heatsinks and therefore making the contact on the Chips worse. I'm going to reapply new thermal paste anyway (Artic MX-4). Its the Temps of the 'Memory that shocked me the most, its this i want to know more about. What chip/s are the memory? Top side? bottom side? all? more?

Sorry i'm not sure what you mean by temp threshold? is that where the fans are manually controlled?
    I wasn't aware you could do anything to the NAND other than create a new image and flash it to the NAND. Can you control temps through this also?

Which are the RAM chips, Bottom side ONLY? its this i really need to know!
    I have bought a few sticky heatsinks for three chips topside, Southbridge, HANA and another one i'm not sure what it does. I've got some thermal pads coming from China but will take a while to arrive, are the stock MS ones really that bad? what makes the Chinese ones soo great?

I was thinking of perhaps tacking a new fan onto the existing rear stock fans so its speed controlled. The memory temperature is my main concern and i'd like to know where the memory chip/s are. I'd prefer to keep this cool first, 80C is crazy.

I probably should have made my question clearer, i'm not really too concerned regarding the single crash (for now at least) as i've been taking it apart allot, holding it by the heatsink so it's probably the reason why its getting hot due to bad contact with thermal paste and sinks.

I really wanted to know what chips are the 'Memory' that is sat at 80C, which chip/s are/is this?? which should

7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    temp thresholds is a way to keep the system cool. the fans will try to keep the system at or below what you've selected.

edit: I think 60 degrees C/140 degrees F is ideal.

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    The paste and pads get old and lose their heat transfer efficiency.
    Idk which pads you got but I doubt they're worse then the stock ones.

I put thermal plaster on the RAM chips on the top side, the sticky ones won't stick if the console is vertical.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - memory, Fresh, shows