Fresh Details About Wii 2's Unusual Controller

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG]
    In the week since reports about Nintendo's next home console began appearing in the gaming press, several aspects of the controller of the system's controller have become more clear.

Its main controller, as rumored, will include a touchscreen, two analog sticks and a camera, we've confirmed with our own games industry sources who are familiar with Nintendo's plans for the machine.

That new controller's screen will measure 6.2 inches and the controller will also include eight buttons. It won't necessarily be, however, the controller that every Wii 2 gamer uses. It isn't even being positioned as a replacement for the famous Wii Remote.

The new Nintendo console, which some have been referring to as Project Café, will also support Nintendo Wii remote-style controllers.

We're not clear on whether the new console will simply use the current Wii remote tech or if Nintendo will offer a remote that improves upon the already-improved and more motion-sensitive Wii Remote Plus that launched last year.

What we are clear on is that Nintendo intends for many games on its new console to be controlled with the same kind of arm-swinging and controller tilting made capable by the Wii Remote. Think of it this way, hypothetically speaking: a new Wii Sports could use the Remote; a new Zelda could use the screen-based twin-stick controller.

The more intriguing option, which we've been hearing in bits and pieces from our sources since last week is that two people playing a Café/Wii 2 game could be using the different controllers. One could operate the Remote; the other use the more traditional twin-sticks of the screen controller.

While a twin-stick controller doesn't sound like the kind of Nintendo gizmo that would charm talk show hosts the way the Wii Remote did, the capabilities of the the screen controller do have people buzzing. The 6.2-inch screen will receive data wirelessly from the Nintendo console and presents an array of options, from putting the player's inventory or map on the controller screen, to allowing players to combine it with the controller's camera to snap photos that could be imported into a game or even turning it into some sort of glorified viewfinder (we're unclear about whether the camera on the controller points at the player or can be outward-facing; we've heard both — maybe it swivels?).

The controller screen could even run a separate app. Consider a bad co-op idea from us as an example, though not a recommendation: one player zips through mini-games that run on the screen-controller. Succeeding in each keeps the player using the Wii Remote alive — in a game running on the TV in the same room.

A touch-sensitive inventory screen right near your thumbs would be handy, of course. A variation on that concept will be seen in Nintendo's June re-make of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. The game's original designers have said that players of the remake will greatly benefit from being able to tap the items they want to use on one screen while being to allow a different screen show, without clutter, the game's action. Clearly the new Nintendo console affords the same option, so the odds are that they'll take it.

The screen-in-controller idea isn't new to the games industry or Nintendo. Sega's 1999 gaming console, the Dreamcast, included simple monochromatic screens that were used for things like virtual pets. Nintendo pushed the concept in the early part of the previous decade, developing a handful of games that allowed players to link their Game Boy Advance portables to a GameCube console. That idea was used in a multiplayer Zelda game that allowed four players to share an adventure on a TV but occasionally duck into caves on their GBAs. Some iPhone developers have allowed people to use their iPhones as controllers for games running on iPad and PC. None of those executions compare to the idea of Nintendo pushing a screen controller as a principal innovation in its new console, a push that could transform the concept from an exception to a standard.

Nintendo isn't commenting publicly about its new console or its controllers, but the parts of this elephant are becoming more clear. We expect to see the full thing during Nintendo's presentation at E3 this June.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Kotaku)

thanks to Nebz for this bit:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html
    More claims/rumors on the console. I don't think it's been posted yet....
    According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected.

*Our Sources
    Head over to Scott Lowe's blog to find out why we trust our sources and so should you.*

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).[/p]

2. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Sounds like a terrible idea. The controllers would have to cost somewhere around $75 minimum. If it's more of an accessory than something used as a common control screen, it might be plausible to buy just one, but beyond that...

3. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    If a controller has a 6 inch touch screen, it's gonna cost A LOT for a new controller.

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    don't like the sound of that controller at all...

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Personally I think it'll turn out fine, I really don't see the price being above $50.

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    if the controller has a touch screen that means it will use a lot of power meaning it prob won't be cordless and if it is the battery time is gonna suck monkeys nuts!

7. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
  8. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    I don't see the point of having a screen on the controller; it's retarded.

9. Charon

Member Charon GBAtemp Regular

Slovenia
    reminds me of playing good old FF crystal chronicles for NGC with 2 friends, each using his own GBA as controller, each with additional different useful info on the GBA screen. I loved that.

I always hoped they make another one for wii with DS as controllers... but instead they made that bullcrap crystal bearers single player game...

10. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    [​IMG]

I disagree. And if not just for a new Zelda, than for the convenience of not having to pause and go through various screens to change weapons or view a map. This would be also extremely cool in Resident Evil 4. I think Nintendo is on to something big.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I don't see anything wrong with just keeping the menus to the TV. It's more of an inconvenience to look down at the controller than it is to just glance at the minimap in the upper right of your screen or just pause the game with the Start button.

Most of the other applications just seem like cheap gimmicks.

Honestly, this new Nintendo console, if these rumors are true, is looking awful.

12. omgpwn666

United States
    Well, we all have our own opinions. I just love that I wont have to pause, because for me, that's more inconvenient.

13. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I remember once stating my opinion on the rumours about Project Cafe. It was very rude. I will not quote it, but it included Nintendo packing up a bonus girl to take care of your Wiiner as you play being as accuarate of a rumour as this is.

I don't remember Nintendo ever doing anything that wasn't technologically-backwards and fairly cheapo, yet always with a fun gimmick. If you expect them to give you an HD screen on a controller, a screen better than the 3DS's one - think again. I'll be SUPRISED if this turns out to be true. I will also say "nihil novi, Dreamcast did it.". Monochrome, but still.

Wait.Till.E3.

Stop.Speculating.This.Info.Is.Sucked.Out.Of.Someone's.Ass.

14. omgpwn666

United States
    Eww.. First of all, Dreamcast memory card had the screen, second of all the graphics on that screen are practically like a pocket Pokemon.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Dreamcast and its memory card was awesome. I'd know, I have one hooked up as we speak.

The card was inserted INTO the controller, it's hard to miss the screen as you play, don't you think? It's there. On the thing you control the game with, called a controller.

I especially liked how you could transfer some content onto the card and play it on the go. It was great for its time, man. So what if it was low-res and monochrome? We're talking about a retro console here.

PSX did it too, I suppose, but PocketStation didn't catch on.

16. omgpwn666

United States
    I love the Dreamcast, too. Used to have one when I was younger and played Sonic Adventures. Used to transfer my Chao to the memory card and feed him and stuff. I'm just saying not everyone has to bring something exclusive never before seen to the table. they're gonna be people who like something, and hate something. It's impossible to make everyone happy with something, that's a fact. Someone will say the controller sucks, someone will say it's bad ass. But as said, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

By the way, that screen kind of sucked, it will be nice to see a new HD screen on a controller.

17. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    The advantage is really only seen in multiplayer games.
    Local multiplayer games.
    Like the above mentioned Zelda and Crystal Chronicles.
    So each player can manage their own inventory and character without needing to pause the game for everyone.
    I'm sure they could make an interesting Mario Party game if they had the flexibility of allowing certain players to see things the others can't.

It's better to try something new and have it fail miserably than to stagnate and never try anything because what we have already works.

18. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    They did do this, with FFCC Echoes of Time O.o

19. geenlung

geenlung Newbie

If they did implement this controller, it would be a big plus for Pokemon games. Granted, you do have the option to play with a DS in PBR, but the skills your pokemon knows could be hidden from your opponent during move selection using this new controller.

20. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    A bit like the some DS games really, main action on the TV, menus etc on the second controller screen, only thing about it is the price and power, touch screens are getting cheaper but battery life hasn't improved at the same rate as everything else.

As with all nintendo's ideas it's either crash & burn or big moneys, though nintendo always make big moneys, whatever they do succeeds more or less.