French court rules that Valve must allow for Steam users to resell their digital games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 20, 2019.

1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    What if Valve agreed to allow digital games to be resold but that they must be sold at the current price they have in the Steam store? That way they would be agreeing with the court order while at the same time making it pointless.

Razzee likes this.
  2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm not so sure about that, most people don't bother with selling their old software on eBay by themselves, they usually trade it, at least in my experience. Either way, the same rules apply, besides the resurfacing - the software you purchase is exactly the same regardless of whether the disc is new or not, "wear and tear" is not a part of the equation unless you're a collector who's specifically looking for the physical manifestation of the software in good condition to put on your shelf.

Nobody says that they can't charge a nominal fee for putting your software up for sale on their server, provided they introduced software resale to the Community Marketplace. It's a wee bit monopolistic to only allow it on their service, but ultimately it is a Steam copy, do it's inseparably connected to the Steam ecosystem. Perfectly tangible solution that doesn't cost them as much as straight up converting the software back into a download code that can be resold outside of Steam.

3. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    I'm not going to read pages 5-9, they're probably mostly the same old tired arguments as were had in the first 5 pages.

This is nice. If this catches on, it could force other industries to follow suit. Games could be used as the beach head to force larger industries to comply with basic goods rights.

I guess the one bad part of this is that regional pricing, arguably the most beneficial part of having a non-transferable license, will likely get the cut. In the real world, games usually only come with the language of the country they are sold upon, while digitally you have to offer every language for regions you want to be able to reasonably sell in. This alone, plus importing costs, keeps an extremely vast majority of games resales between regions locked to that region. There is probably no good fix for this on digital goods which can probably be trivially patched to include any language.

The regional pricing argument is the one I would bet would hold the most traction. Currently, regional pricing is a great boon to equity, and allows poorer regions of the world access to the same tools as richer ones. The destruction of this means effectively destroying the progressive movement. I fear this could cause a lot of turmoil. In any case, this isn't going to be the last we've heard of this case.

4. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    This was pretty much what I was getting at.

5. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    beautiful

6. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    As others have been pointing out, there is a third (likely) possibility here. If the decision is upheld, and the court doesn't go after other tech companies with equal fervor, Valve will probably just pay the fine and leave Steam unchanged. €540,000 is nothing for them in the long run.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 21, 2019
    Ev1l0rd likes this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    This won't be abused at all, I'm sure

8. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Wouldn't that discourage people from buying from them and encourage them to buy from resellers?
    Don't you mean €540,000?

Last edited by sonicrings, Sep 21, 2019
    Xzi likes this.
  9. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    It's still pennies.

I would bet that this is what is going to happen. The thing is, UFC has stated that they are going to actively go after others in the industry as well, not just games storefronts. This could mean things like Google/Amazon Video that you buy to own have to be resellable too. Think about all the old iTunes catalogues. The digital distribution has a boatload of goods rights breaches, and UFC may go after them too.

If this does get upheld, it could also lead to widespread litigation by other consumer advocacy groups in other countries. If enough of it happens, something is likely to change; either FAANG buys the governments, or EUP starts to actively enforce and pile more fines.

Xzi likes this.
  10. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Yeah honestly the fact that it's only for 6 months makes it better for them to just absorb the fine.

11. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah, missed a zero.

12. Uiaad

Uiaad GBATemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    Not a lawyer, but this would be up to 6 months before other sanctions are acted upon them. Which in theory could mean the banning of Steam operating within the EU.

13. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Ah, fair enough.

14. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    no its not the EU has a one-cent piece not a penny :P

15. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    Confused as to how one would be able to resell digital goods, but good I guess?

16. mike4001

mike4001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    Australia
    Even if the ruling says: Pay € 3000 for 6 Months I don't think that the ruling vanishes after these 6 months.

It´s more likely that then there is another court date where they set an even higher per day fee.

17. scottydog27

scottydog27 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2014
    United States
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    Easy fix do what game stop does for hard copies make a trade in program that way the digital keys are controlled and not just passed around like a hard copy your friend just beat and is now letting you use

18. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Fairly sure they'll just crank up the fines until either Steam stops operating in the EU themselves or complies rather than outright banning them.

19. Uiaad

Uiaad GBATemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    Cranking up the fines to a point where they couldn't effectively pay would be tantamount to banning them no ? so what I said was correct.

20. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all

tianchris likes this.