MUBK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I just joined this forum, hoping to seek the answer to my problem.

I ordered my R4 + 1GB Kingston microSD (advertised as Japanese version with the CO1G imprint on the microSD card) from dealextreme.com and received it a little over a week ago. The R4 froze on me several times (most of those times in Age of Empires 2, about 2 - 3 times in Advance Wars and 1 time in Starfox Command). 2 times, it went 'glitchy' and the screen was covered in purple/green lines and a weird buzzing sound was being heard. I'm wondering if my R4/microSD card is defective and if they are, which one?

I used the ATTO program to test the microSD card speed and the readable speed was ~10 - 10.4 mb/s and the writable speed was ~4 mb/s.

CSD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of a defective card acting in such a way, but my experience is limited after all. What's the firmware version you're using? Honestly, my only suggestion would be to format your microSD after backing up your games and saves, download and install the latest firmware update, and try it. I'm guessing this might be a firmware/microSD problem.

Let us now how it goes.

MUBK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well CSD, thanks for the tip!
I formatted the microSD card a few times.
From FAT to FAT 32
FAT 32 to FAT
FAT to FAT32
FAT32 to FAT

Just to be sure
tongue.gif
I tested the speed using ATTO and the Readable and Writable speeds are relatively the same. I played Transformers: Decepticons for about 30 minutes and so far, its all good! Except the top screen, the frame rate wasn't that good but I don't really mind. I'll keep in touch to see if any abnormal activity happens.

If anyone has any more tips, please tell them. I'm open for all options.

Also, I did some research and seems that Age of Empires: The Age of Kings DS has bugs (i.e; freeze, etc) in it anyway (even in the retail version). However, I am still confused why the other games froze up :S.

Also, Thanks again CSD and Lee79.
Once again, open to more options.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
I was told if you have a 1gb sd to format it as FAT16 64k clusters. If it is 2gb Fat32 64k clusters. don't know if that helps try this program as well >SDFormatter Version 2.0. Might be some help.
I have a 2gb microsd i formated Fat32 64k clusters and have had now problems with Advance Wars and Starfox Command.

MUBK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the link Lee79. I will try that either tomorrow or the day after (because I don't want to take the microSD card out too many times because of the spring issue). I just hope it doesn't freeze anymore.

Also, what are 64K Clusters? When I used the windows format, it just showed either FAT or FAT32 for the formatting options.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
goto control panel in windows and open Administrative Tools. Then open Computer Management.
In the Left hand window panel open Disk Management. select your sd card drive (make sure it is pluged in) right click on it.
and choose format and then select FAT16/32 and cluster size (allocation unit size) and click ok.

Regarding the spring issue i have taken my one out 10-15 times i am always careful about pushing it back in the r4 slowly and the right way round and had no problems so far. But that may just be luck!

MUBK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it froze up yesterday during Yu-gi-oh World Championship 2007 and Lunar Knights. Might have to format again
sleep.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: it was strapped....but in my youth i had anger management probs lmao