Freeware app that lets you write on a pdf file?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My AP biology teacher decided to assign a 25 page assignment over winter break intended to be printed out, and completed, but due to my sub-par handwriting legibility (on one of my last assignments she wrote FINAL WARNING D: ), I would much prefer to be able to write the answers right to the pdf file before printing it out. Anyone know of any freeware apps that lets you do that?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Printscreen each page and paste in paint is one way to do it, better just google for a converter.
problem is... my teacher is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch and unless the final product is 25 pages, she won't accept it. Also, a few months ago, when she informed us that we would have to bring our 30 pound books every day, I did a ton of searching for a converter so that I could put a pdf file I found of the book on my ds instead, but the best one I found still had a fugly watermark :|

rcxAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This isn't really freeware per se... but you can just get trial versions for Microsoft OneNote and/or Agilix GoBinder. Good for at least 30 days, you should be able to do your assignment before they expire.

Print the PDF file to Microsoft OneNote and you can then write on it there. You can use either 2003 or 2007, either will suffice.

Another alternative is Agilix GoBinder. I wouldn't buy it now that it seems to have fallen out of support, but again, download a trial version. Print to GoBinder and you can annotate there.

Alternatively, if you can get a hold of a Tablet PC with either Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or Windows Vista, you can just use the bundled Microsoft Journal program as well (again print to Journal).

For all three of these solutions, you will have to install the corresponding print driver for the software. But I know for a fact that all of them have print drivers that allow you to print to them as if they were a physical printer. (I've used all three of these programs before personally)

Edit: If you absolutely must have an end product of 25 pages, then I suggest to jump straight to either Agilix GoBinder or Microsoft Journal. Microsoft OneNote's pagination is a bit difficult to predict. Journal works the best. But GoBinder is very workable.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, you can always copy/paste the text from a PDF file onto a word document or whatever you use.
There's the Select button and the Select All function ctrl+A

the_joeba

Trophies
Website
www.comicofrevelation.com
XP
Country
United States
writing to pdf's is ugly, they are created specifically so they can't be altered (usually). I have found a few programs in the past that tried to do what you are referring to (to fill out job applications), but I have never been satisfied. You can do it in Adobe Illustrator, but that is definitely not free
wink.gif

Sorry if that isn't much help.

Maat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could try making a better letter.... my letter sometimes is horrible so i just use formal tecnical letter ,is that letter that you don't continue to write caracters you just write one after one ,just like the computer does.....
You can try to use GIMP + ghostscript with this you can transform your pdf's pages into images ,but i think you can use open office + ghostscript but you need to look for yourself if this is true.....
try asking in some linux forum they maybe has an answer....
Or you can buy adobe acrobat.....

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After a little fiddling around, I found that using Microsoft's own print to file should work, as the program that reads the files lets you make notes (although for a program packaged with Office, you would think it would have different font options :| ). It's not the greatest but definitely functional, I'll still check this thread in case something zomgawesome comes up though

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Foxit reader (my suggested PDF viewer for windows) has limited PDF t capabilities. It is limited in the free version but it works well enough.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm

You probably are better off though with a convert to image app though.

@the_joeba I really hate it when job applications come without boxes to fill in like that. Even worse when a lot of these are supposed IT/engineering companies.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
This might sound a tad ridiculous but try changing the kind of pen you use. It worked for me. In UK schools they force kids to use fountain pens and my handwriting was appauling; one of my teachers even used a rubber stamp instead of writing warnings
laugh.gif
. The problem was that I press too hard, which gives terrible results with an ink pen designed for light pressure use. In year 10 I switched to biros and it cleared up almost instantly. Give it a try
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free