OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Freespace 2 - Wii

An other great game from the old days was ported to the Wii - Freespace 2. Litghost a member of Tehskeen ported the engine of Freespace 2 to the Wii. All you need are some original files from the game and his port of the engine to enjoy this great game.

further informations: http://code.google.com/p/freespace2wii/

source: wiibrew.org via tehskeen.net

FreeSpace_2_Beam-Combat-Anim.gif

wikipedia said:
FreeSpace 2 is a 1999 space combat simulation computer game developed by Volition, Inc. as the sequel to Descent: FreeSpace — The Great War. It was completed ahead of schedule in less than a year, and released to great critical acclaim. Engrossing gameplay, excellent sound effects in addition to the inclusion of vocal talent such as Robert Loggia and Ronny Cox led several gaming sites to have proclaimed it as the definitive simulation game for 1999.

The game continues on the story from Descent: FreeSpace, once again thrusting the player into the role of a pilot fighting against the mysterious aliens, the Shivans. While defending the human race and its alien Vasudan allies, the player also gets involved in putting down a rebellion. The game features large numbers of fighters alongside gigantic capital ships in a battlefield fraught with beams, shells and missiles in detailed star systems and nebulae. Free multiplayer games were available via Parallax Online which also ranked players by their statistics. A persistent galaxy was also available as SquadWar for players to fight with each other over territories.

In 2002, Volition released the source code for the game engine to the public. This code became the core of the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project, which has produced several mods based on science fiction series such as Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

FreeSpace_2_Backdrop-Ani.gif

pictures from wikipedia.org

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SWEET! That's one of the BEST 3D space shooters ever created. Wish we'd get something even remotely close to this on the DS.

So how does it control? There were a LOT of commands in this game. How did they squeeze the controls into the limited key set of the Wii's controllers?

Screemer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
code.google.com said:
Escape key

Home is always bound as the Escape key

Example config

* A - Fire primary
* B - Fire secondary
* - - Target next enemy
* + - Target next
* 1 - Switch secondaries
* 2 - Target next bomber or bomb
* D-pad down - Countermeasure
* D-pad left - Toggle auto-speed
* D-pad right - Switch primaries
* D-pad up - Activate Jump-drive (cancel with Home)
* Nunchunk Z - Afterburners
* Nunchuck C - Target in recticle
* Wiimote Pitch axis - Inverted Pitch control
* Wiimote Yaw axis - Yaw control
* Nunchuck Y - Relativethrottle
* Nunchuck X - Bank

source: http://code.google.com/p/freespace2wii/wik...eyConfiguration

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm very surprised how well it runs, the wiimote is no replacement for a force feedback joystick but never the less it isn't too bad - i'm going to have to try rebinding the keys using the classic controller

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screemer said:
today it got updated to beta3. now u can use a usb 2.0 hdd with cios222 for your files.

Hmm, I tried running it off of my external and it was pretty slow. Does it make a difference if I'm using IOS222 or IOS202, because in the description it mentions IOS202 specifically.

bin01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, as you know, in order to play this one you need the data files from the full retail game.

Is there any space-lover who can gently provide the files needed:

* root_fs2.vp
* smarty_fs2.vp
* sparky_fs2.vp
* stu_fs2.vp
* tango1_fs2.vp
* tango2_fs2.vp
* tango3_fs2.vp
* warble_fs2.vp

Im sure space-ship gamers would understand my situation
Thank you very very much in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1