Homebrew Freeshop's death and you - what are you guys planning on doing now?

Zalexard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm legit curious to hear your thoughts on this, and what you plan to now that Nintendo has (finally) done something to curb the rampant downloading of games people used to do (let's face it, people didn't use freeshop for educational purposes). :rofl:

On my side, I'm not sure if it's going to matter much to me. I got physical copies of the games I like, stuff like Monster Hunter or the Pokemon mainline series, but I've considered that I could get maybe a Sky3DS+ or a Gateway card just in case I got the itch for something else (even taking into account that Nintendo has been cracking down on ROM sites).

So, what are your 2 cents on this?

Craftyawesome

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who pirate will just go on rom sites?
Also very little reason to use sky3ds or gateway unless you really want gateway's cheat system.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Halvorsen,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A little late to the party? I am pretty sure most people already moved onto that iso site and or ROM sites.
Also there's literally no reason to waste your money on a flashcart. Gateway team is dead and haven't updated their cart for over two years. Sky3DS is just a pure waste of money when you can just install a CFW for free. And before anyone suggest it, Stargate 3DS was a DOA cart made by the Gateway team and no one should waste their money on that shit.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, freeShop died 2 months ago... and is more "difficult" but yet easy to play 3DS backups.
We can use that iso site, that 3ds cia site, and a lot more to get our .CIA files to play games.
And although I was one of the few that thought that this could be fixed with some time and patience by the good developers the scene has, after 2 months I realize that it will never happen, never.
So... yeah, just download the .CIA files from your favorite download site, and install 'em with FBI.

D

Deleted User

Simultaneously buy the game I want in store and download/install the cia online.

Zalexard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Dude just search "That iso site" on google.

I legit did that, even tho I had never tried searching for it like that. And what do you know, it worked.:lol:

A little late to the party? I am pretty sure most people already moved onto that iso site and or ROM sites.
Also there's literally no reason to waste your money on a flashcart. Gateway team is dead and haven't updated their cart for over two years. Sky3DS is just a pure waste of money when you can just install a CFW for free. And before anyone suggest it, Stargate 3DS was a DOA cart made by the Gateway team and no one should waste their money on that shit.

Not at all my friend, even tho I was out of the loop for the most part (or not caring rather because IRL stuff), after a few weeks I was curious to hear your thoughts since the dust has settled down for the most part. :D

We didn't have FreeShop before and we were just fine, not having it now isn't a problem, it just made it easier to pirate, though it's still easy.

That's a pretty good point, I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't thought of it. When QOL changes appear, it becomes hard to envision your life without them. :rolleyes:
Cias for that are easy to come by too
Also, unless it's out of region, you can update a pirated game from the eShop with no problems

I'm actually curious about that, updates come in separate CIAs? And if you install them, they install fine without any problems?

For all the others that commented, thank you. I do intend to buy games whenever I can if I want them, even if 3DS games are one of the most expensive and slower price lowering than any other platform. :rofl: I do want to keep hearing more people if they're willing to share their view too!

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm actually curious about that, updates come in separate CIAs? And if you install them, they install fine without any problems?
Yes, that's why you can install them from the eShop even for pirated games, because they're treated as a different application. Heck, you could even download updates for games you don't even have!

D

Deleted User

People keep saying CIAs for games are easy to find, but I've noticed some CIAs for games are literally impossible to find, I've noticed when trying ti get CIAs for the yo-ka watch japanese games, alot of the files have been taken down.
You should try to goggel the cia. Sometimes you even find a working download link on youtube.

Hepointatsquib

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
imtakingapi.ss
XP
Country
United States
You should try to goggel the cia. Sometimes you even find a working download link on youtube.

That's exactly what I do, and just as I sead, files for those games have, for the most part, been taken down. I have managed to find them for some games i've been looking for, however

Zalexard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well gotta wait till 2040 for the games to be released as usa games then pirating will be easier.

That's pretty much it the way I see it. I never really was much into playing the japanese games while waiting for localizations.

One thing you could look into, is having a japanese friend (if you do have one) search the game in japanese for you, and with some luck you might get a hit I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.