Freeloader for the Wii coming very soon.SourceS

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by gorillazfan1210, Feb 28, 2008.

1. nephdj

nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Apr 13, 2007

2. Julian017

Julian017 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I wouldn't buy it, there's probaly going to be a firmware update that makes the disc un-usuable [​IMG]

3. cubin'

cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 12, 2007

Probably. But I'll bet there's a loophole of some sort that will keep it working.

This is GOOD news. Choice/freedom is good.

oh noez nintendoz losez teh moneyz [​IMG] lawl

4. MaHe

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor

5. cubin'

cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 12, 2007
    Well I'm no expert but with console hacks I've found if there's will then there's often a way. Except with xbox360 homebrew [​IMG]

6. dualscreenman

dualscreenman GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2005
    United States
    Rockin' the DSman Party-Van
    I wonder how the plan to get past the DVD-ROM drive security without a modchip? [​IMG]
    Even now, you need a drive chip to have Trucha-signed isos work. If they are relying on a software bug, then Nintendo will probably render the Freeloader/ any other product Datel decides to make useless.

7. shonosuke

shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    WHY DOES EVERYONE ACT LIKE YOUR FORCED TO UPDATE?
    srsly you can just remove the update with trucha

8. LokusT

LokusT Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    But then you'll probably need a chip if you don't have one installed already, which would also mean you won't really need the Freeloader since you'd be playing backups. They're two exclusive things.

9. superrob

superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Apr 4, 2007
    GBATemp factory.
    Becurse they are PRESSING the data DIRECTLY to the disc not burning it.
    That means its just like a retail one.

10. Hyperlisk_

Hyperlisk_ GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Homebrew is not 'wrong' or illegal in any way. If it was, then Nontendo would have it's creators assassinated.

11. dualscreenman

dualscreenman GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2005
    United States
    Rockin' the DSman Party-Van
    @superrob
    Ahh, I didn't know that.

12. shonosuke

shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    hope it gets dumped by next week

13. thebert

thebert Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2006
    United States
    Sure you don't have to update, but you'll never get any new features that way either. I want region-free as much as the next guy, but I also want new channels and official stuff more. If you don't update, you don't get that. [​IMG]

14. shonosuke

shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    lol...if you care more about channels then region free then wow....

15. MaHe

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor
    Now, now, there's absolutely no need to be condescending. If he prefers to use official stuff too (so do I, WiiWare and Everyone's Nintendo have a LOT of potential), there's no need to insult him. Also, you must be aware, that Nintendo will probably ship past-3.2 firmware consoles to the store, essentially making Freeloader useless to late adopters. While homebrew might not be the easiest solution, it's certainly the best one, because some exploits aren't patchable, therefore making them universal.

cubin': Yep, that's true. But all the previous generation consoles had one major advantage/disadvantage - they weren't upgradeable. When the security holes were found, they were only patched in the later revision's of consoles, making things much, much easier [for 'the homebrew lot'] than they are today. Nowadays, it's just a matter of time when an exploit will be fixed, presuming that it's fixable (and so far, this Trucha Signer thingie is, but even if the fix could compromise the compatibility, Nintendo could just place some CRC checks in the bootcode to block the Freeloader disks - just like they did with the WiiKey configuration disk and Freeloaders for GameCube). I'm not sure if Freeloader for Wii is based on this or not, but if it allows the console to boot in the dashboard before running the software on the disk, it can be blocked in no-time.

16. shonosuke

shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Playasia link:
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10v-77...er-70-2m98.html

Email someone sent:

I have recently noticed the Wii Freeloader available for sale in the shop and there has been much discussion about it on the GameFAQs Super Smash Brothers Brawl message board. Many people including myself are worried that Wii system updates might render the product useless as has happened with some versions of the Gamecube Freeloader. Can you say whether this will be a problem or not.

This was their response

Dear Customer

Further to your email if Nintendo were to release a firmware update which affected the usage of the product we would try to as previously done with our Wii compatible Gamecube products to release an updated version of the product to resolve the problem.

Regards

Daniel Leese

Technical Support

17. vegenigma

vegenigma Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2007
    United States
    So you'd have to go out and buy a new version of it then?

18. shonosuke

shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    yes,
    But someone on neogaf also emailed and got a different response that says freeloader blocks updates

19. Rock Raiyu

Rock Raiyu Clock Up

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Walking the path of heaven
    Thats also what I got back.

Edit: Just a note, why buy it when Datel can just release a patch or something when an update comes around. Just wondering.

20. squirt1000

squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

Banned
    Jul 14, 2003
    Devon, UK
    Doubt they would bother making a patch... Datel are now ripoff merchants! Charging for a homebrew psp pandora battery tut tut.. Didnt they also release an external Wii modchip?? [​IMG]