PS1/2 FreeDVDBoot Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal, not working

pinesal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just starting using the FreeDVDBoot exploit and it's been working great! I even got a CD based game working after converting it to DVD.

But Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal just goes to black screen. I have Going Commando working. The ESR compatibility chart says that the NTSC version works. I have tried two different disc images. Tried burning on different speeds. The disc image boots on PCSX. I even tried the PAL version after converting it to NTSC. But it doesn't boot.

It appears to do something as the controller analog LED lights up, then the screen flashes and the LED turns off. But that's all.

Does anyone have this game working with FreeDVDBoot?

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your system can use Free DVD Boot then chances are it may be able to take advantage of Mechapwn. (I'm assuming you have a slim.) You should no longer have to rely on ESR unless I'm mistaken.

pinesal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your system can use Free DVD Boot then chances are it may be able to take advantage of Mechapwn. (I'm assuming you have a slim.) You should no longer have to rely on ESR unless I'm mistaken.

I just heard about that the other day. Sounds like this requires a special memory card that I must purchase? Is that correct? I am still trying to understand it.

EDIT: After reading a little more. I almost sounds like I can kick start the process using FreeDVDBoot. The info about this is very sparse so far. I am not sure I understand yet.

Last edited by pinesal,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just heard about that the other day. Sounds like this requires a special memory card that I must purchase? Is that correct? I am still trying to understand it.

EDIT: After reading a little more. I almost sounds like I can kick start the process using FreeDVDBoot. The info about this is very sparse so far. I am not sure I understand yet.
If I understand the process correctly, you can use FreeDVDBoot as an entrypoint to run homebrew. From there, you can launch uLaunchElf (newest version is called wLaunchElf nowadays). This lets you run other homebrew, and create an FMCB memory card -- I am not very familiar with MechaPwn, but it sounds like FMCB is what you're referring to. No need to purchase it as you can create your own wit FreeDVDBoot

Yerkz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since you want to play games from a DVD disc you might want to use Mechapwn (if your PS2 is compatible, but most of them are). But assuming you have a slim, you could use OPL to play games. On a slim, the best method for playing games with OPL is using the console's network port. You can plug a HDD on the USB of your router (if possible) or leave the .iso files on your PC and share through your local network. It might take sometime to configure (it's not difficult at all) everything but once it's set up, you just have to drag and drop the games on the right folder and they will appear on OPL's games list.

pinesal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PS2 Slim. I can get the exact model a little later of if that's important.

I would like to run PS2 backups from Disc, because I am a nostalgia nerd with a CRT and I want the old school experience :-)

I was reading about Mechapwn and read something about changing the PS2 into a dev model and then patching games with as a Master Disc.

But this also made it sound like it would disable the DVD player and PS1 games which would be a huge problem because I could not run Mechapwn again without FreeDVDBoot.

This is unless I can create the Mechapwn disc as a Master Disc and then change it back. I think that sounds logical?

Or I could make a FreeMCboot memory card and run a homebrew launcher that will load PS2 backups?

Sorry I am new to PS2 modding.

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PS2 Slim. I can get the exact model a little later of if that's important.

FreeDVDBoot should work on all slims except possibly the 9xxxx series (glossy top), which would require something like Fortuna.

I would like to run PS2 backups from Disc, because I am a nostalgia nerd with a CRT and I want the old school experience :-)

I was reading about Mechapwn and read something about changing the PS2 into a dev model and then patching games with as a Master Disc.

But this also made it sound like it would disable the DVD player and PS1 games which would be a huge problem because I could not run Mechapwn again without FreeDVDBoot.

I believe there was a video from MrMario that showed that PS1 discs still run fine. It will depend on the original region of your console.

This is unless I can create the Mechapwn disc as a Master Disc and then change it back. I think that sounds logical?

This is possible so long as you keep a back-up. You can toggle to and from retail and dev mode.

Or I could make a FreeMCboot memory card and run a homebrew launcher that will load PS2 backups?

Sorry I am new to PS2 modding.

This is also a possibility.

pinesal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I did all the hacks and here are my take aways

Unmodified system with FreeDVDBoot is the easiest way to get PS2 games to run. But it doesn't work on PS1 games or PS2 CD games (PS2 CD games will work if converted to DVD). FreeDVDboot does not work with all games but most will, Ratchet and Clank 3 would not work.

FreeDVDBoot can be used to create a FreeMCboot Memory card.

Can use FreeMcboot to run Mechapwn and change the PS2 into a debug unit.

Debug PS2 with unlock all set to NO will run PS1 backups and real PS2 games and FreeDVDBoot patched PS2 backups. Not all FreeDVDboot games work just like before.

Debut PS2 with unlock all set to YES, causes the PS2 to read every disc as a PS2 disc. This means it will not boot ANY ps1 game and will not boot DVD movies and will NOT DIRECTLY boot anything patched with FreeDVDBoot. But it will boot an unpatched straight backup of a PS2 game if LAUNCHED through Freemcboot ElfLoader. Ratchet and Clank 3 DOES work in this scenario. The FreeDVDBoot discs do launch if done through the ElfLoader..

So, it would seem that having your clean firmware backup is needed because to get all possible functionality, you will to switch between debug unlock all YES and unlock all NO depending on what you want to do.

It seem most of the time NO, combined with FreeDVDBoot will get most games payable. Only when you run into a game incompatible with FreeDVDboot will you need to change to unlock all YES.

Last edited by pinesal,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)