freeBOOT updated with support for the 9199 Kernel

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by FAST6191, Apr 17, 2010.

Apr 17, 2010
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Note this is only of use to homebrew users and while older versions needed a dual nand arrangement this one does not (in essence it replaces XBReboot).

I would have saved this for the next releases post but it is big news for some so it gets a post just for it.

Xbox-scene have reported on an update/fork of freeboot with an eye towards using the 9199 Kernel as a base. Note to those that saw this release earlier today- there seems to have been a quick repack/update and version bump without a changelog (more on that as it becomes known).
    NFO for the release:
    http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1826.nfo

While I do not think we have any games require it just yet (not sure about title updates and we certainly have not seen wave 7 discs yet) and the official kernel does not really offer that much in the way of new features (rebooter users have long had USB support and ways of using it) such things are always welcome.
    The NFO also includes building instructions (considerably easier than it was) but the changelog part reads:
    It should go without saying that your older patches (some of which were distributed outside of the rebooter packages) will probably not work with this although that should not matter to most people as there are numerous ways around such things.

--------
    Some interesting updates, I will probably be flashing/updating mine in the next day or so but I am not in a rush. I am liking the trainers and unprotected memory though.

Update: Reading around a bit it looks like for now it is going to be troublesome to update without given kernels and dumps (yes that means hardware dumping). Waiting on XBReboot v4 then, making a dummy image with all the relevant data is not going to be all that fun.

removed from original post:
    Flashing can be done by many things but flash360 ( http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1777.nfo ) is a good app here if you already have a homebrew enabled 360.

2. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Is there anyother way to flash the 360's motherboard? Other than jtag? Something solderless?

3. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  4. quepaso

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you have the original 7371 dump, you can make a new bin and use flash360. If not and you're running 8955 XBR3, wait for XBR4.

5. hundshamer

United States
    If he is talking about any hacks other than the Jtag, then no. If he is talking about flashing without LPT, then flash360.

6. chartube12

United States
    what is LPT?

7. hundshamer

United States
    Line Print Terminal. Basically you solder this to the mobo to dump the original NAND. It still requires soldering.

8. chartube12

United States
    rats. Oh well. hopefully XODE gets made.

I know someone found a way to jtag and flash with the newest dash (on a vergin system). They talked about it possibly leading to usb nand hacking. Unfortuntely, the mods on that forum don't want modding of the 360 wide spread cuz of online cheaters. Thus the thread was deleted before the exploit could be revealed. Hopefully someone else will find it someday.

9. blazingwolf

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are you telling me any dashboard can be jtagged now??? I'm sorry its unclear.

I actually left my system on the vulnerable dashboard for a good 3 or 4 months waiting for it, but it gave in and updated, a month later my system was banned.

So yeah, as you can see I'm really regretting that, but does this allow the exploit on another dashboard??? [​IMG]

10. hundshamer

United States
    No. It's for already jtaggagble boxes. It is just the hacked firmware that jtag uses that is based off of the 9199 kernal.