FreeBOOT 9199 + xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by overlord00, Aug 22, 2010.

Aug 22, 2010

FreeBOOT 9199 + xbox by overlord00 at 4:36 PM (3,813 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. overlord00
    OP

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    hey everyone again.
    i was trying to get original xbox games and homebrew working on my jtag, and was told maybe i was using the wrong patches.
    so i used freeboot toolbox (latest build for the site) and my original nand dump using the "patches [xb1 compatibility]" patches which i cut and pasted into then "bin" folder.
    then flashed this over to the 360 using xellous and booted, went through the setup, tested, got a reboot, thought; "hey, xbox compatibility patch is probably not on the hdd", put that on, tried again... no dice.
    downloading the "FIXED" patch from xbins now, and ill try that...

anyone know whats up here... know that there are people that have got this working, but have no idea why mine isnt.

EDIT:
    "FIXED" compatability does the same thing, shows white xbox screen, then resets.
    also, i have 2 differant xbox compatibility patches; the 'fixed' from APRIL, and an newer one from NOVEMBER.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    General theory (it probably covers what you already know but for the sake of others reading I will type it out anyway)- the 360 memory is encrypted which makes things a pain to work with (trainers and emulators that do fun things like dynamic recompilation (a fairly dirty hack but it makes things very quick) to name two) so the freeboot team unencrypted a section.
    This however broke original xbox compatibility so the team kicked the unencrypted memory option to a patch and allowed people to choose (at least until dash launch came along a month later with another autodetection patch).
    This alone does not make for the best original xbox experience on the 360, that falls to the hacked original xbox emulator: http://www.digitalreality.co.nz/xbox360/?p=290 (download link down but I found it in a matter of seconds on another site). Installation amounts to overwriting the original data (what it is called/where it is found varies between methods).

Back on topic as it were November (2009) would be an freeboot 0.2 or older patch- 9199 was not even released at this point let alone freeboot ported to it so I am half surprised it even boots. April (assuming 2010) brings it into line with the freeboot 0.32 release.

freeboot toolbox is nice but I think it is a bit out of range here. You are wanting a more complex build than it tends to cater for. Drop back to basic freeboot building methods (make the relevant data with 360 Flash Tool if you have to).
    Equally as I recall you were pointed towards dash launch to make this a thing of the past and it is also the go to method for nice things (the ping limit removal and controller remapping to name the two big ones) these days so you might as well build it against that (you will be flashing again to remove the old patch you used).
    http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1849.nfo

3. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    i remember why i used the toolbox in the first place... wasnt sure how to obtain the SMC.bin.
    the only place i found reckoned you could do this: "ibuild x -d data\ -b "1BL Key" -p "CPU Key" bin\xbr_dump.bin".
    the thing is i dont really have a full XBR3 image on me, without making a new one again.

if anyone could recomend where to find this file (without upsetting GBATEMPs rules), ie xbins or extracting it from somewhere, somehow, or something along the lines of that... (maybe i dont need a full image, just the barebones xbr3 image? someone confirm?)

btw; flash; i have these xbox emus; "xb1_5805_april 2007-hacked-FIXED" and "xb1_5829_nov_2007-hacked" and if neither of these work when i finally flash again, ill take another look.

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Errgh this is not going to be a good one. I am somewhat confused as to what you have and what you are doing but I will call it as a I see it.
    A "barebones" xbr3 image is essentially what the original file is that you download but that is not what you meant. You appear to want a donor nand but before we go down that route it may be possible to do it with what you already have.

If you need a copy of the NAND then flash360 can sort that out- always always always keep a backup of keys (CPU and DVD), NAND images and everything like that when playing in these circles as it saves so much hassle. A original dump if you have it is best but an XBR dump preferably from before you started flashing things/injecting files from outside your console in there can get things sorted.

As far as the ibuild program freeboot comes with is concerned it only works with an original NAND dump- feeding it an XBR dump will do nothing for you other than generate an error message. This is part of how freeboot works (XBR was more extensive in patching but freeboot is lighter on the patching at the cost of complexity for the end user when building/updating) so no real shortcuts here.

All is not lost though as with 360 Flash Tool (0.95 is the current but older versions are good to have as well) you can pull the relevant files from the XBR dump, it might not work but later versions do a good line in extraction where the earlier ones fell over so it is worth trying. It should be OK with dumps that are less than brilliant (like your current one probably is) but a good XBR3 dump (again preferably from before you started flashing things/injecting files from outside your console in there- a mishmash of NANDs is not desirable) would be best.
    First click on the settings and make sure "extract ibuild compatible files" is checked and then when you click extract (and point it at a folder) it will spit out all the relevant files and make the meta files ibuild needs in a subfolder called freeboot.
    This avoids using ibuild to extract files and produce meta files meaning you only have to build it which is trivial- this is also where you would stick dashlaunch in.

Donor nands do work as well but as system link use rises as a substitute for online play having the same mac address (which some of the donor methods cause) will cause issues- some routers and protocols can handle mac address collisions but not all. There is a tool called XBR to freeboot that has some nice files in it.

re the emulators, my bad I thought you meant you had some patches for freeboot with those dates.

5. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    heya fast, long post, but i guess i misinformed.
    i have a perfectly good original nand dump, and with this, i am trying to make a new freeBOOT 0.032 image with xbox compatibility.
    i also have a perfectly good 360 running freeBOOT 0.032 without such compatibility.

i have backup NANDs of all 360s i have jtag'd and (most) keys associated with them backed up too.

trying to build a new freeBOOT image (with compatibility) and with Dash Launch, as you suggested above.
    i am at the stage to build my new freeBoot image by following the step 4; "4. Patch SMC", but without knowledge on how to acquire the smc.bin (or where the "regular places" are).

if there is some sort of awesome tutorial or something that i can follow that gives me freeboot with xbox compatibility with dash launch, but without using freeboot_toolbox and without using vague instructions.

thanks

PS; am using the latest downloads from xbins

6. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Look up freeBOOT toolbox 2.4. You can use your original NAND or even a copy of your XBR image. When you built the freeBOOT image be sure to include dashlaunch. Look up dashlaunch to find the nand_flasher to install the rest of dashlaunch. This is also usefull to install the system link 30ms ping limit remover for xlink (system link over internet). Be sure to have the xbox 1 bacwards compatible patch installed to partition 2 of your HDD.

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    SMC is the system management controller- it varies between models of xbox (zephyr has one, falcon has one, jasper has one....) and is what is hacked* for the JTAG hack to work.
    *some chips have the JTAG hack payload onboard so the SMC is not necessarily messed with.
    Back on topic you can grab the hacked SMC in a number of places*.

You can use the same tools you use to generate a version of xell to flash in.
    You can pull it from an already hacked image with 360 Flash Tool or one of the tools like it (smc_dec.bin is the file of choice)
    You can simply use a relevant one from xbr to freeboot (it bundles a bunch of them).

* For reference regular places means a few things in this world but generally xbins is what it means (the website I linked a few times is part of it but just a front, auto xbins aka easy xbins http://www.360mods.net/index.php?file=deta...;name=downloads will allow you to pull the relevant files. It is something of a hangover from the original xbox days but it also works for the 360 stuff so it stayed.

"trying to build a new freeBOOT image (with compatibility) and with Dash Launch".
    A minor aside but dashlaunch negates the need to choose between compatibility or not- it should autodetect when you are trying to use the original xbox stuff and change to a state where it works.

Alternatively there are now a bunch of prebuilt NAND images (all save big block Jaspers) with all the trimmings that you can just inject your keyvault into and flash. http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15694.0 (files available on xbins).

8. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    ok, have obtained smc.bin and built my image, and now i have a differant "error".
    i have the new image on a USB HDD as updflash.bin, and xellous will not update this, says it can see the drive.
    tried flash 360 and it says something about lack of "zero paired" or something...

not sure if i am doing something wrong here, i've tried 3 differant usb drives (both thumb and hdd) with xellous, so a little more help would be wonderful

ps: followed THIS guide a little, using its smc method... maybe thats my problem?
    if i did use your (flash's) method of pre-built images, would i come across doubled MACs or anything wierd like that... cos ill be doing it to two xenon's (both belong to me).

pps: even using freeboot_toolbox, then attempting thru xellous gives nothing, and flash360 gives same error

SUPER EDIT:
    ok, reading various posts, this "minor error" is harmless enough... for now... but anyone who wants to say otherwise can do so.
    secondly, i originally did not run the XEX from dash launch, which was more than likely causing most if not all my problems.
    while i dont remember which method i used to update (freeboot/freeboot_toolbox), having proper dash launch patch in the BIN folder, flashing (still cant thru xellous for some reason), then running "flash_installer" from the dash launch package... and thats it... (oh, and xbox hacked emulator compatbility content too).

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Very odd, that guide is exactly what I would have done (and in fact did for my zephyr last night) bar the extraction but ibuild will error out if you mess that one up. That xenon SMC is quite different though to the one I have here though.

Zero paired is not an error per se and might even be a fault of the application- the application was built with XBR in mind and we are using some of the features that were fallback type features. You should be able to push through that and the next message about the keyvault.

re: the prebuilt images as you are not injecting the smc_config (note a different file from smc.bin) aka config blocks yes it will be the same. 360 Flash Tool has SMC_config editing (and importing) and bincrypt which you would already be using if you followed the guide there has import abilities too.

10. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    thanks for that fast, and thanks for following through and keeping with me while i was figuring this out.
    i didnt follow that guide word for word, more of a "hey, free smc.bin... cool... yoink". i mainly followed the guide that came with freeboot, then slowly caught on that you needed to use the patches from dash launch and put those in the freeboot /bin folder.

will smc differences cause any difficulties down the line? cos it seems to be working right now.

any reason that xellous doesnt seem to wanna flash? or see a usb?

thanks again Fast.

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I missed the super edit part- glad you got it working.

Without an explanation of the changes or me pulling it apart I can not say with certainty- indeed if you saw the recent work with alternative wiring ( Xbox 360 SMC I/O Config Utility if you fancy a search) that will change the SMC code. Generally though that amount of change in such a fundamental piece of code would cause serious issues if done badly so if it works as you want stick with it.

As for xellous I have no idea why it could not flash it for you. I usually opt for flash360 anyway.