Freebird (Switch overclocking tool) version 0.9.1 beta released

freebird_logo.jpg

@JK_ 's Switch overclocking app Freebird has just received an update, marking the release of version 0.9.1 (beta). The new version attempts to fix the sleep mode bug, adds a new GUI for its Freeset companion app, includes four new profiles (as well as a Global one which takes priority above all others), gives you the choice to maintain your defined clock speeds when waking up from sleep and also allows you to save your config between reboots.

All of the new features and changes mentioned above can also be found in the official changelog:
Freebird 0.9.1 (Beta)
  • Attempted sleep mode fix
  • Ability to control whether clock speeds are maintained when waking up from sleep
  • New GUI
  • 4 Different power profiles + Global profile that overrides all.
  • Ability to save config for reboots.

The developer also advises users to post suggestions, issues and ideas on the official GBAtemp thread (linked below). For Atmosphère users, it's highly recommended to update to version 0.8.6 (or later) before installing the homebrew, as it includes a fix for a bug that was present in previous versions which would lead to crashes when overclocking the CPU.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: GBAtemp discussion thread

Last edited by RattletraPM,

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
is it recommended to update 6.2.0 to 7.0.1 too? or the latest atmosphere on 6.2.0 should be fine?

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it isn't fixed? Does it kinda work? Pass/fail?
I'll explain what I mean by that. I'm terrible at this. It works for everyone so far. No one has told me about issues. I have had my system running this for a good month without a single sleep hang. I found a way to detect sleep mode, but I think it has a very, very small window where perfect timing may still cause a hang. Again, I say think cause I haven't had it happen, but it looks like it might.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Support for SX is impossible by any developer except TX because A) its closed-source and B) SX OS does not offer support for customization of their CFW.

maybe we can request they add this feature if or when their forums is back online !!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You're asking a non-TX related developer to do the impossible. This is like asking for a character to be in Smash in a thread that just details news about the game.
to be fair he did initially just ask of it would work on tx, I didnt see him asking for the developer to add support he just pondered asking TX to add support, no need to be so confrontational ^_^

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
is it recommended to update 6.2.0 to 7.0.1 too? or the latest atmosphere on 6.2.0 should be fine?
I wasn't able to reply yesterday, however you could say it was a blessing in disguise as I got some time to try AMS 0.8.7 in the meantime (there wasn't anything indicating that Freebird or similiar apps would be broken, however I still wanted to try it out just to be sure). Anyways, if for whatever reason you want to stay behind on firmware 6.2.0, Freebird will work fine under it using Atmosphère 0.8.6/0.8.7.

CrazyButtStabber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what would this app really do in the right hands? From what i'm aware, can't overclocking be dangerous to the hardware?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what would this app really do in the right hands? From what i'm aware, can't overclocking be dangerous to the hardware?

basically, it allows the switch to use more gpu up to potentially the docked clock speed (which should be pretty safe, considering the dock reducing cool air flow a little, leading to more heat). it will drain battery a bit more undocked though, and how the battery handles quicker discharge in the very long run remains to be seen. that said, games like botw already take a lot out of the battery and most switches seem to be fine anyways.)

this will decrease frame issues in portable mode to some degree fpr games that for no good reason still render as if they were giving out full resolution (like hyrule warriors that stutters quite a bit portable) and allow some games to render in better quality in portable (like xenoblade which looks a bit like a ps2 game in portable).

i'm not 100% sure if freebird is going to allow OC beyond the docked setting at all, but if so, it might help the occasional dropped frame in games like BOTW.

then, there's also underclocking. some games might very well run with even less than undocked gpu clock speed, which would prolong battery life actually.

some games do not work well with oc though, so there's always that.

down the line, for quality of life, i expect something like a blacklist that automatically disables overclocking for games known to have issues with it, and potentially, an optimized/updatable list of best clock settings per game or something.

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
sometimes it crashes when I try to open the app while I don't quit from the game. it also crashes when I unplug the charger, put the console on sleep mode, and try to continue to play the game again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded