Free-to-play 'Pokémon Trading Card Game Live' announced

pokemon tcg live.JPG

The Pokémon Company announced today that a new, digital Pokémon trading card game will launch soon on PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices. An official announcement trailer was released giving a preview of some gameplay features:

While Pokémon Trading Card Game Live is said to be a free-to-play title, microtransaction elements have yet to be announced as is a release window. However, we do have some gameplay details from the official website:
  • Add to Your Collection: Compile an extensive card collection that you can use to build fun and exciting decks. Add new cards by scanning code cards, purchasing in-game booster packs, and participating in daily quests, among others.
  • Build Powerful Decks: You can easily put together incredible decks from your card collection. Innovate and create your next battle-ready deck!
  • Battle Trainers Everywhere: Pokémon TCG Live brings players together from all over the world to battle. It's launching in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese, so you'll always find a player ready to take you on!
  • Enjoy Your Favorite Pokémon TCG Digital Activities: Create Custom Avatars, Get New Cards Using In-Game Currency, Participate in Daily Challenges, Customize Your Experience with Accessories
Pokémon Trading Card Game Live is expected to be available "soon" on PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices.

:arrow: SOURCE

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geezus what an ugly game. It's so poorly designed too...
It's barely an upgrade to the crappy one they have now. It's like it's an update to make it cheap up to current standards instead of being massively dated

I freaking love Pokemon TCG, but I'm not touching this.

Dragon quest rivals elevated too much the standards for this kind of stuff

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Missing details - you can only import 4 copies of any of your cards, and any additional copies are effectively converted to their equivalent of Hearthstone dust.

The trading function seems to be gone from the game based on assumptions based on this.

Looking to be that Pokemon Company looking to burn some card bridges with the fans now.
That's dumb if trading is gone because you can only trade cards in the TCGO from codes from actual physical packs, tins, or decks.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was hoping to see this or the last version on Switch but guess they can't for some odd reason.
Extra graphical effects seems nice but lack of trading will make it a little pay to win and loot box heavy which isn't gonna be fun.

I really miss the gameboy games and wish they'd make a third entry into the series as I liked playing card games for the fate of the world, wait... isn't that sorta.... nah.

Gonna be a bit pay to win random loot box like and thats just not gonna be fun sadly.
Hopefully it doesn't kill PTCG for good if it isn't balanced right.
Lack of trading seems a bit rough.

Hope the original will stay alive somehow, was looking forward to playing that on a Steam Deck.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry to sound rude but these idiots still refuse to f*cking release a PTCG title on the f*cking Nintendo Switch?
How in the world...? It's a cash cow. They release it literally anywhere else apart from XB/PS but they don't release it on the goddamn Switch? Well, shut up then!

Ace001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn this would've been a perfect release on the switch but oh well, not gonna lose any sleep over it. Im more worried that my current TCG progress will not be able to be carried over. Cause that's gonna be something that'll make me skip the damn thing entirely.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Curious as to why they'd bother given a Pokemon TCG already exists on mobile.

Their "mobile version" doesn't support mobile phones, at least not officially. It requires a modded APK to work on (Android) phones. I don't know if there's even a working solution on Apple phones. They always said it's because it's not optimized for mobile data gameplay, which is probably true...
I assume the high bandwidth usage of the old game is actually a fairly significant factor in this updated version being built, since addressing the way data is handled probably required a ground-up rebuild anyway.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for those APK Mods that unlocks possibly all cards, which'll ruin the experience for the ones who care & play legit. Also possibly why Nintendo is not going to release it for the Switch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1