Free-to-play Nintendo mobile title Fire Emblem Heroes is getting a monthly paid subscription tier

Originally released in February 2017, one of Nintendo's biggest mobile successes, Fire Emblem Heroes, has just reached its third anniversary, and it looks like there are some big ideas planned for the game to celebrate the occasion. In a Feh Channel video, which showcased the upcoming content updates headed to Heroes, such as new characters and events, a major addition was announced: the Feh Pass. Set at $9.49 USD a month, the Feh Pass allows players certain exclusive bonuses compared to free users, such as extra quests, special cosmetic changes that come with status bonuses to certain characters, and quality of life features, including being able to undo your previous turn, getting more summoner supports which can further boost your team's stats, and being able to automatically grind maps without extra input. The Feh Pass will be added to the game in the 4.2 update, which is scheduled for February 5, 2020. This new subscription service is similar to the likes of another Nintendo mobile game, Mario Kart Tour, which implements a $4.99 monthly fee that gives extras to paid players as well.

Reactions: CaptainSodaPop

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The pass is what it is. People will argue and squabble about that without me. What I think needs some attention personally is how these companies think exchange rates work. $9.49 is NOT £9.99. Like c'mon, is there any effort at all here???

Our tiny island always gets screwed on currency conversion lol

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember back in 2018, I was really addicted to this game. I never spent any money, but I spent way too much time on this game. Then I hacked my characters for better + and - stats, and got banned. When I got banned, I was a bit bummed out at first, but then I felt a sigh of relief, that I can finally stop playing this shallow as fuck game. I would have been really devastated by this news, if I wasn't banned.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally like subscription services in gacha games since they usually have good deals relative to the usual prices. Seeing this one makes me glad I never picked up FEH; locking QoL changes behind a subscription is ridiculous even for a gacha. It comes off more as punishing F2P players than rewarding P2P players.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
All mobile games are trash, never get why people are so addicted to this kind of shit......

I'm so glad that more and more countries are realizing and started banning that those games have Gambling features.
Most of the mobiles games in existance are trash, but there are a few decent ones to play when you're bored at the bus.

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All mobile games are trash, never get why people are so addicted to this kind of shit......

I'm so glad that more and more countries are realizing and started banning that those games have Gambling features.

People are addicted because:

1. They try the game out - be it boredom and searching the store, or because they were curious due to nostalgia, whatever.

2. The game abuses psychology to get them to keep playing. Limited time events, shiny lights, nostalgia, etc. Couple this with fear of missing out, it's a strong motivator to get people to play more and potentially spend.

3. Sunk cost fallacy. By the time someone considers quitting, they've already spent so much (be it time, $, or both) that it's hard to throw it all away, so they keep playing.

These games are predatory, especially the loot box abuse, and I look forward to the day they're banned.

Nintendo was the one company I wouldn't have expected to abuse people like this, yet here we are. Shame.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol