Free (Stealing) Broadband?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jaxxster, Mar 20, 2008.

Mar 20, 2008

Free (Stealing) Broadband? by jaxxster at 10:16 PM (1,805 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Anyone doing this?

I've been offered free 20meg cable internet by a connection of mine....im tempted. Anyone done this, got any stories to share?

2. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    My father used to (probably still does) steal cable channels. He has never been caught, that I know of. >_>

3. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    He told me its a one off payment of £70 and with that i get the modded modem and the free broadband....beats paying AOL £30 a month for thier crap 8meg service.

4. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

I used a 8 meg wireless connection for a week. I downloaded about 20 gigs at that time.
    Then I moved. The End [​IMG]

I would continue using it, if I was still there. [​IMG]

5. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    My mom's old boyfriend used to steal connections...

I wouldn't do it, though - if you got caught, you'd be in some pretty big trouble.

And no doubt, with today's technology, they could easily detect you're stealing it from them.

Edit:

This was with Television cable connections...my bad?

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    ... internets aren't expensive. I have a 10Meg connection for £5/month

I'm going to sound like a massive hypocrite, but stealing is against the law, you know.

7. SpectralSounds

Newcomer SpectralSounds Advanced Member

United States
    It's a hell of a lot easier to get busted scamming an internet connection, then it is pirating roms/isos.

Back in the day (maybe even now) people were able to uncap their cable modems and a few people got in a lot of legal trouble. I wouldnt take the chance myself unless your connections happened to be with the president of whatever ISP service they are trying to sell you... but, obviously that is your call.

8. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Yah,
    I got 16 meg for £5/month.

But back in the time, when I was using that wireless connection(not my fault if that *+#+ doesnt set wep or WPA key) I had no internet for few months.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    it's called cable modem cloning, only downside to doing this is if the original user disconnects their connection your connection will go too, also i believe virgin media are clamping down on cable modem cloning, not sure how serious they are about it, i've thought about doing it myself but the negative risks are too high for me.

10. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    hmmmm....

wow, im in two minds now. I guess i'll leave it....thieves only get caught when they get greedy and i guess that wouldbe a greedy move to make.

thanks guys

11. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    well you could at least switch to virgin media and get £5 off (£25 minus phone line rental as it's not needed) and get 10 meg like i am getting unlimited bandwidth. that's extortionate you are paying!

12. arctic_flame

United Kingdom
    Actually, it's against the law to steal unsecured Wi-fi connections, and if they prove you were doing it, you'll be in a lot of trouble.

13. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    If you subscribe to cable television, you can split the line and use it for your internet as well for free. At least in America. I'm not sure if Comcast has figured out how to stop this yet. They send everything (cable internet, cable tv, phone) through the same cable line. I'm not sure about other countries because with TV licensing fee's and such I don't know what kind of services you guys have.

14. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I envy you all. It sounds like you all don't have download limits and you all have very fast internetz. Australia sucks [​IMG] Too expensive and too little download limits (Let's say it's AU$30 a month for 200MB and 8mbps cable from our biggest ISP)

15. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    It sucks(Even tough I have never done it), one that downloads from Usenet will distort the full connection
    For example, If I Download Usenet on full speed(20mb, actually 12mb :@), the rest of the house i live in will come complain to me because they have no internet connection anymore

16. techforumz

Member techforumz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Anyways, this isn't really stealing. It's the same as 'stealing' music. The ISPs pay a fixed rate for maintenance, etc... The more modems doesn't affect the cost at all, just the income. Ok, so more modems means more bandwidth, but when you consider that an old junker PC can handle upto 1000mbps, the 20mbps he's "stealing" becomes trivial.

SPLIT:

Oh BTW: the average 1mbps (1mbps down, 512kbps up) connection here costs about $50US per month, with a 1-year contract. So yeah, I'd say they have a single PC in their basement connected to a T1. And that they're ripping us off. Considering that it's $30AU ($30US?) for a 4x-8x faster connection. If there was any way of not using an ISP (ISP server in my basement, lots of DNS, etc...) then I would do it. For about ($30?) a month for the power, but with a 10/100 connection! I'm surprised at the lack of information on the internet about setting up an ISP server. Tons of web server (Real easy, I've done it), but nothing on ISP, and almost nothing on DNS.

EDIT: Oh didn't see the 200MB limit. That's INSANE!!!

17. arctic_flame

United Kingdom
    Which is, by definition, stealing, right?

18. techforumz

United States
    All I'm saying is that they don't make or lose any money from him, he's just a non-customer with internet, that's all.

19. arctic_flame

United Kingdom
    I get your point.

Now, we're back to the moral issue, haha.

20. techforumz

United States
    Unless they let you. If it's your neighbors internet and they're ok with you sharing it, then it's perfectly legal. Unless the DMCA was taken to another step, in which case I am tempted to leave the country and boycott america. YOU LISTENING BUSH/CANDITATES/SENATE/HOUSE/JUDGES???!!!???