• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Free Speech is Democracy's Downfall (Sean Illing) [Original Title: Free speech is essential for democracy. Could it also be democracy’s downfall?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
'[...]

I just co-authored a book with Zac Gershberg, a professor at Idaho State University, called The Paradox of Democracy, and we argue that these threats aren’t new at all, and in fact they’re not threats to democracy in the way we typically think — they’re threats to a certain kind of democracy we’ve gotten used to over the past century or so.

One reason for the turmoil has been a massive shift in our media environment. Digital technologies in particular have introduced more voices and platforms, and that means more conflict and anarchy. All of these changes highlight a contradiction at the core of every democratic culture: The very freedom on which it depends — the freedom of expression — can be used to undermine it from within. This is a pattern that has recurred throughout history, going all the way back to ancient Greece.

[...]

Sean Illing

Democracy and liberalism are very different things, even though they’re often mixed up together. We think democracy is fundamentally a decision to open up the public sphere and let people speak freely. It really is a culture of open communication, which is why we say that democracy is largely free expression and its consequences.

Democracy is not just a body of institutions or practices, or just a process for choosing leaders. To say that a state is democratic is actually to say relatively very little about how it’s governed. And the book is trying to remind people that instruments of democracy — free expression, an open media environment — can be turned against it.

When we’re talking about liberalism, we’re talking about the defense of minority rights, the rule of law, the peaceful acceptance of transfers of power, and all the institutions and cultural norms that sustain those things.

[...]

Margaret Sullivan

One thing I’ve wondered about reading your book is how concerned you are about the current state of American democracy, and really the state of global democracy. You come at it from a different point of view, suggesting this is just what democracy looks like, but how worried are you?

Sean Illing

Oh, I’m worried. I think the failure to see this distinction is making it more difficult for us to defend the liberal democracy that we have. Many of us want democracy to be a battle of ideas and policies, rooted in facts and evidence-based discourse.

But I really do see democracy as a competition of communication styles, where every imaginable kind of rhetoric and bullshit artistry and demagoguery is allowed to flourish. And that means it’s a fight, not just between arguments but between clashing rhetorics, between ways of thinking. And it is always, whether we recognize it or not, a battle for power.

So one concern I have is that I don’t think the Democratic Party in this country gets this. I really don’t. Even when they hold power, they seem incapable of exercising it. Why is that? There are probably lots of reasons. But one is that they can’t stop believing that democracy should be practiced in a certain way, and in a certain manner, and in accordance with certain rules. And I think that’s because they’re devoted to liberal democracy.

The Republicans are not devoted to liberal democracy. They’re actually willing to play dice with democracy. Republicans are saying, Look, almost half the country will follow us no matter what we do. Many of them only consume media that affirms their biases anyway. So let’s just seize and exercise power by any means necessary. The overturning of Roe v. Wade is an obvious recent example.

[...]

Trump’s great contribution was to show the Republican Party what’s actually possible if you stop caring about the liberal democratic game and just go after power. So Democrats accept the constraints of liberalism, and Republicans ruthlessly exploit the advantages our media and our political system afford them. They’re playing different games.

I’m not claiming that liberal democracy is dead. I would never claim that. I mean, it’s a possibility. But I am saying that the age of liberal democracy is over. And that means that this long postwar period of mostly stable liberal democracy was a period in which a gatekeeping media system managed a norms-driven discourse. And that is over.

[...]'

-Sean Illing

256.jpg

-Margaret Sullivan

margaret_sullivan_0.png

https://www.vox.com/vox-conversatio...rsations-the-paradox-of-democracy-sean-illing

Reactions: krakenx

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
The US seems to define 'freedom' and 'freedom of expression' differently from everybody else.

We have a saying here that goes around the lines "one's freedom ends when the next person's starts".

We are free to say what we want confined withing the margins of good faith. If you are using your liberties to spread misinformation and lies, you are not expressing yourself, you maliciously conditioning other people's views of the world and restricting their freedom to think and act based on truth.

Libel, defamations and other misinformation laws are not meant to restrict freedom, but to protect it and keep public discourse honest.

Reactions: osaka35

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The big problem is that people assume that others act like them.

So democrats will assume that people will behave rationally and honestly, while republicans assume that everyone will lie and cheat to get what they want.

All the deep state paranoia is because they think that the state is as untrustworthy as they are.

Reactions: Xzi

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You have to take the good with the bad. People need to be able to speak out against corruption, without reprisal.

A disadvantage is it's more difficult to clamp down on those who want to warp "free speech" into an abomination. If the crackpots had their way, social media would lose the freedom to block/ban users for posting quackery, conspiracy theories, etc.

Reactions: AHB

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US seems to define 'freedom' and 'freedom of expression' differently from everybody else.

We have a saying here that goes around the lines "one's freedom ends when the next person's starts".

We are free to say what we want confined withing the margins of good faith. If you are using your liberties to spread misinformation and lies, you are not expressing yourself, you maliciously conditioning other people's views of the world and restricting their freedom to think and act based on truth.

Libel, defamations and other misinformation laws are not meant to restrict freedom, but to protect it and keep public discourse honest.
Who decides what is disinformation? There are many news stories that people still believe to be true, yet they have been disproven and there are many news stories that were labeled disinformation that have been proven true.

The only cure for bad speech, is more speech.

Reactions: AHB and binkinator

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
free speech is truthfully non existant to an extent at least I can't yell bomb in an airport or on an airplaine can I? on another note how can you commit treason in a country built from treason itsellf?, as i said befor GB is a very different place than 200 yrs ago i honestly do support recolonization since obviously power hungry moron''s are trying to undermine our democracy

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Who decides what is disinformation? There are many news stories that people still believe to be true, yet they have been disproven and there are many news stories that were labeled disinformation that have been proven true.

The only cure for bad speech, is more speech.
If you know something is false and try to spread it as true, that's misinformation, it's not about what you believe, it's about what you know and propagate otherwise. It's about knowing the truth and using any outlets at your disposal to spread the false. It's not about being correct or not, it's about ill intent. And it's a demonstrated fact that many in positions of power propagate things they know it's false.

Some like Alex Jones just got screwed in court for such demonstration. Others, like certain politicians, big business men, influencers, companies you have then on tape or other records proving they know the truth and publicly saying falsewoods that contradict them, but because "free speech" nothing happens to them.

Just last week, you had a bunch o US senators spreading a lie about the PACT act, when they had the document in front of them and publicly available that showed the truth and there was no consequence, because "free speech".

Last edited by pustal,
Reactions: krakenx

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly not, because the people who want to listen to infowars will never change no matter how much speech you have.

The only way to protect free speech, is to not exploit it.

Alex Jones exploited free speech.
The only people exploiting free speech are the ones doing the censoring. It's not my fault that braindead people can't use discernment when reading or listening.

• Haha
Reactions: AHB and Dark_Ansem

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only say the valid things and you should be fine. I suggest that I will judge on what is valid and what is not.
The use of discernment is a lost art with many people. Make sure you validate with extensive research and not emotion.

Reactions: AHB

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The use of discernment is a lost art with many people. Make sure you validate with extensive research and not emotion.
I wouldn't want to give so much power to institutions of research, they are easily corruptable and may very well be corrupted by their own ambitions. Therefore I will allow for speech that supports me (in my dream to become mod for example).

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only people exploiting free speech are the ones doing the censoring. It's not my fault that braindead people can't use discernment when reading or listening.
Braindead people are the ones that are obsessed with free speech.

Why is it only right wingnuts who can't use discernment when reading or listening?

Maybe there is some link between the mental retardation and being right wing?

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Braindead people are the ones that are obsessed with free speech.

Why is it only right wingnuts who can't use discernment when reading or listening?

Only communists and fascists censor speech.

You could use discernment too, but choose not to.

Maybe you could actually have a serious adult conversation instead of slinging insults like a petulant child?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only communists and fascists censor speech.

You could use discernment too, but choose not to.

Maybe you could actually have a serious adult conversation instead of slinging insults like a petulant child?
Your style of communication comes across as someone who can't have an adult conversation.

I do use discernment, which is why I wouldn't protect Alex Jones right to free speech after he has abused it so rigorously.

It's not because I disagree with his opinion, it's that he is purposefully lying to make money and those lies are impacting peoples health and they didn't consent to being lied to. Trump et al have realized there is easy money to be made from people who are easy to manipulate & protecting those people is one of societies roles.

I would have a problem with anyone doing that, no matter what the message they were selling

Last edited by smf,

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There certainly is. If you fall for the caducean right or left it indicates some cognitive deficiency.
It's not because I disagree with his opinion, it's that he is purposefully lying to make money and those lies are impacting peoples health and they didn't consent to being lied to. Trump et al have realized there is easy money to be made from people who are easy to manipulate & protecting those people is one of societies roles.

I would have a problem with anyone doing that, no matter what the message they were selling
Hopefully people will be in power who care for truth so that we can have a culture that supports this notion.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs