• Views 16,800
  • Replies 113
  • Likes 8

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How will you you be playing roms from a 7.x environment that has no kernel access?
All it will allow is homebrew and I'm not much interested in that
read the updated post, people wanting homebrew will get it from smealum, people wanting roms will get it from gateway for the foreseeable future, there is 2 sides of the fence smealums work id not a rom loader its for homebrew and has advantages....where as gateway clearly has its advantages also, it all depends what side of the fence fits you best

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
ooh, does anyone remember the PSP or the PS3 scene? both pain and free solutions have existed side by side.. but the paid ones died on the psp and thats when the scene really took off any many great talent were atracted to contribute. now the psp is basically blown wide open and a great example of what people can do for free.
the ps3 also has a lot of free solutions that works great. I dont really understand the problem.
It would be nice to se some random guy realease an open exploit for the newest system update in gateways face

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ooh, does anyone remember the PSP or the PS3 scene? both pain and free solutions have existed side by side.. but the paid ones died on the psp and thats when the scene really took off any many great talent were atracted to contribute. now the psp is basically blown wide open and a great example of what people can do for free.
the ps3 also has a lot of free solutions that works great. I dont really understand the problem.
It would be nice to se some random guy realease an open exploit for the newest system update in gateways face
ecept the psp and the ps3 sarted as open projects, psp was pretty much a failiure in terms of security as was the ps3, the 3ds is still to this day pretty solid in terms of security, things have been bypassed but not broken.....if/when someone breaks the whole security wide open.....then would be the time to go all open with stuff but atm gateway are the only team developing that would have the resources to crack this nut........because they are making the money to do so

yes, and i did that a whole month before they released anything related to that. my gift is with seeing the future, not hacking.
hey no offense i did say afaik :) i remember reading you had been decompiling the gateway code etc....sorry for the assumption :P, but the point is that hackers like yourself dont have the resources gateway has to perform more expensive methods for cracking the 3ds open further, your work on ssspwn is great but your work and gateways are on 2 different roads :)

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Well both system were considered secure untill they were hacked just like the 3ds. remember how many years it took before the ps3 was hacked. and the psp was like the starting point of exploit hunting.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well both system were considered secure untill they were hacked just like the 3ds. remember how many years it took before the ps3 was hacked. and the psp was like the starting point of exploit hunting.
lets be honest the first psp hombrew was released like a day after release.....and the ps3 was just assumed secure, right now in terms of the underlying security of the 3ds its all pretty much untouchable....yeah there's exploits and hacks, but the security is not compromised completely, i dont care who wins the mr.internetbigballs competition, just that players aren't taken out of the game prematurely, the gateway team still have plenty to offer :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so what do mean that smealum dont have the resorses to do exactly?
well the community funded chip decapping just resulted in some douch running off with $2300, and remember this guy was backed by 3dsguy and neimod, and thats still happened, i dont think any of the current homebrew hackers have $2000 to drop into getting the 3DS SoC decapped in the hopes of getting the 3ds encryption routines well and truly hacked, and i doubt the community would go for another community funded one

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, because the japanese firmaware 1.00 did not have any great security. But that was not of big help after sony updated the kernels in later firmware.
So I suppose that you think that the gateway team is more skilled than the hackers from the psp and ps3 scene?
What the hell do you base that on!?

And you are sure that gateway is using decapping as their method of hacking the 3ds?
Why the hell have the not released a hardware exploit then?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh yeah, because the japanese firmaware 1.00 did not have any great security. But that was not of big help after sony updated the kernels in later firmware.
So I suppose that you think that the gateway team is more skilled than the hackers from the psp and ps3 scene?
What the hell do you base that on!?
your the one bringing up irrelevant systems, every system is different and some require money to get past issues others require luck, and other just require a few highly skilled dedicated developers.....atm gateway are the only team putting anything out on the 3ds, (except for smealums ctrulib.....) i would welcome more interest in the 3ds, but so far there hasn't been a *boom* of interest

my opinion is just see what happens, the pace is nice and steady so far, im not claiming gateway leaving will kill the scene, but from the looks of it it would severely hamper the rom loading scene......homebrew would still be safe with smealum & others working on it

And you are sure that gateway is using decapping as their method of hacking the 3ds?
Why the hell have the not released a hardware exploit then?
i have no idea what gateway's plans or methods are, but finding an exploit and having a flashcart is much much more appealing to end users than buying modchips and installing them.....4.x consoles haven't dried up yet so i don't think for now the focus is making sure they are future compatible and any roadblocks are taken care of

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, You sure sound like you've never experienced the convenience of having a custom firmware ;P
Let me tell you, its way sweeter than any flashcart ^^
And gateway is not using their money on hacking the 3ds I guess. I believe they only use it to distribute it and earn money while they are at it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh man, You sure sound like you've never experienced the convenience of having a custom firmware ;P
Let me tell you, its way sweeter than any flashcart ^^
And gateway is not using their money on hacking the 3ds I guess. I believe they only use it to distribute it and earn money while they are at it.
anyways im bored.....nuff said, if anyone wants to carry on talking about PSP's or PS3 ..........it will happen one day

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks OP for the giggles and amusing thread. I did not find myself in need of a giggle this evening but I will take it anyway.

There were some cases where obfuscation has helped prevent some counters and there were even some times, and may even happen again here at some level. I can not see the Gateway folks going beyond slow march/general attrition though.

Homebrew and free loaders without the scam of having to buy expensive hardware from scammers for piracy is somehow bad now.

I've just seen everything.

Please don't tell me you also support the Wii U piracy monopoly from the guys at OZModChips who are planning to do some sort of kickstarter for the Wii U modchip that doesn't even need hardware to do what it needs to do.

To be fair gateway have delivered upon what they promised, that they also delivered console bricking code means they are on my shitlist, and though redemption may happen* at some point I will probably never forget it, but I am not sure scammers is an accurate term.

*given it was outright malicious where previous examples had some mitigating factors and gateway are unlikely to do enough to redeem themselves it may be a long time, bordering on never, before it does.

I don't think the dev's who aren't releasing work are bothered about someone making a profit....pirate gonna pirate, but they don't want to help you do it. Do you think governments will start giving out free drugs to combat drug dealers? Get real it would make the issue worse, not help in any way

Free might be a stretch but governments enabling access to clean and safe(r) drugs, decriminalisation of certain substances, regulation of the same and some access to free substitutes (see things like methadone) already happens, most accounts seem to have it working pretty well actually.

[PS3 security was a failure]PS3 was what?! Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Failure as in the implementation was demonstrated to be awful on so many levels, right up to PSN. Absolutely. There is the implementation vs theory thing to discuss further but implementation failure is well worn ground in security circles.

Failure as in failed to provide several years of exploit free life in a console or failed to prevent piracy in the main profit window for most games. Agreed it worked well enough there and can not be considered a failure.

Reactions: Minox

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
More obstacles = more determination. When PS3 could boot to linux PS3 scene was inactive. Look at what happened when PS3 removed the ability to boot to linux via a firmware upgrade. Progress was made not only to restore that functionality but the console was cracked up like an egg on the floor. Geohot made Sony to shit their pants and Marcan made some great work with his AsbestOS.

(also Sony screwed Geohot, lol)

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly i cant say im 100% against the piracy scene, but with the current pace i cant stand the current 3ds scene i cant say i support where its going currently because its pretty much only piracy and not homebrew other than the few things here and there

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Free might be a stretch but governments enabling access to clean and safe(r) drugs, decriminalisation of certain substances, regulation of the same and some access to free substitutes (see things like methadone) already happens, most accounts seem to have it working pretty well actually.
yeah but the free legal...ish equivalent here to just giving free access to loading 3ds roms would be enabling an alternative.....which would be homebrew....but as we see some people just want the hard stuff XD

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since when was Normmatt against piracy? The dude released so many patches for NDS games to work on flashcarts, yet alone developed AKAIO and updated it for every new game to work.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This could certainly be possible, and Gateway is pretty much the only name in the game advancing 3DS piracy in a tangible form. But Gateway could get shut down tomorrow by Nintendo; it's happened before
14ccljp.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1