Homebrew Free look on Doom or Quake ports ?

markkirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to activate free look (looking up and down) in the wiidoom port of prboom ? I looked in the settings but they don't really work as they are for PC mostly, also Googled to no avail.

I also saw a Quake port on these forums, does this have free look ?

The ports are good but using the wiimote just left and right feels ridiculous.

Thanks for any feedback.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Original Doom didn't let you look up/down, so I don't see where is the problem.Maybe a hack can enable it, but you won't have anything useful with free look on Doom/Doom 2. These games were NOT made for this.

Quake did have native free look, so Quake ports on Wii (or any other system, like on Nintendo DS) too. You should just try it, to see it by yourself.

markkirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will try quake tonight but im at work,also many many doom ports feature free look and this is not the original game it is a port of prboom from PC (which does support free look), ether free look was implemented in some way by the dev or not. As for saying I wont get anything out of free look you are wrong, been able to aim freely changes the feel of the game completely.

Thanks for your reply anyway, good to know Quake has it natively.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
free look will not add anything like aiming, because doom was not made for it (If you want to play like it was back in the 90' ;))
when an enemy is not exactly in the floor where you are, you just have to aim on X axis and the game will automatically aims on Y axis

a free look mod is not native but only a hack, and doom was made to be played with fixed Y axis. Of course, it will add some kind of freedom in the game, but this will not change at all the original gameplay.

there was at least 2 ports of doom, maybe one supports free look (by editing an ini file) ? will check this, as a doom fan ^___^

Reactions: markkirby

markkirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you point me towards the second port if you find it ? The one I have is wiidoom, it runs great but I would like to see another port too if possible.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the second one is retroarch, a multi emulator system which can run Doom/Doom2/etc.

I though there was another one, I'll have to check my favorites.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended