Free game download codes... can they be used on other 3DS consoles?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by SG, Mar 27, 2014.

1. SG
    OP

SG GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    I bought a 3DS XL and a game and qualified for a download code for this game. I have the code but have no interest in this game. Does anyone know if someone else can use the code on their 3DS? 'Cos I'd like to sell it.

If not, what if I installed it on my 3DS then did a system transfer (can be done online apparently). The only other game that I have installed in Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and I'd like to sell that as well (I want to get a physical copy... because I'm sad). So if someone wanted both games via system transfer, that would be ideal!

2. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes, the code will work on another 3DS console, as long as it's from the same region (in your case, Europe). Nintendo's eShop codes won't work across regions, which means your code can't be used by someone from US or Japan.

3. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    My advice would be to hang on too it because everyone is trying to sell those Pokemon codes they are going for like $20 on ebay right now. I would wait a few months till it dies down then sell it for about $30 on ebay.

4. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    If a game came preinstalled on the 3DS then you can't move it with a system transfer. Keep that in mind. I don't know if you got Zelda preinstalled, via a code, or what. If you got it by a code or bought directly from the eshop that should be able to be transferred.

5. SG
    OP

SG GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    OK, thanks everyone. It's a Pokemon X code - I bought an imported US 3DS XL so it's for a US machine. I'll just hang onto it then.