fraud or not?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by acrocosm, Jul 19, 2007.

Jul 19, 2007

fraud or not? by acrocosm at 12:11 AM (1,231 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. acrocosm
    OP

Member acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    please read the following email and give me your thoughts about it. I'm pretty much sure it is a fraud but I would like to hear other opinions too. This was the reply to an email for a typist/data entrist position. The ad was found in facebook. In case you are also wandering there was no mention of the company's name nowhere to be found.

2. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I have to say it's very fishy, because of that 9.99 payment, and that "don't call anytime at anytime"
    Ask them for a more detailed info like how you can be assured of payments, what to do if payment not received and etc.

3. acrocosm
    OP

United Kingdom
    i have already send a reply but they haven't get back to me yet. it's been 2 days now. I was wandering if it was my writing style and content of the email or if it is actualy a fraud

i send them that ---->

4. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    If they are paypal verified, make sure to read any ToS that you can find.

5. Noobix

Member Noobix GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah sure sounds like one of those "work from home" schemes, where they just sucker you into paying them money. [​IMG]

I would be very sceptical of any "job" that requires you to pay up front, before you make any money. [​IMG]

6. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Well, it makes business sense, a lot of the people who apply for one of these jobs aren't willing, and don't, see it through. A small fee is a good way to weed out those people before they waste any of your time

7. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you can get some real contact info to cross-check, with whatever you Brits have like the Better Business Bureau, it'd sound better. But, with a gmail account, generic title "Human Resources", I don't hold out hope for anything.

The bit about sending an empty reply to receive instructions means it's likely just some automated email script running. It sounds like they'll take your money, but don't bother them with any real questions.

8. acrocosm
    OP

United Kingdom

i thought it was an automated reply so i made a new gmail account and did excactly what she (?) asked for but i have not got a reply to that either [​IMG]

btw i'm not british

9. ZzzZilla

Member ZzzZilla GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    " THIS IS NOT A GET RICH QUICK SCHEME"

Quote, unquote.

The Chinese have a proverb for this, "Ci di wu yin san bai liang", that translates as "There is no money buried here".

I seriously doubt a legitimate company would bother to have to assure you that they are not a scam, or even not be bothered to set up a proper website to operate and provide information from (as opposed to using googlemail)

And the job scope? Either the client companies does not have the proper manpower to do said tasks, or this company looking to hire you are Net-based outsourcers.

Just be careful, kays?

10. acrocosm
    OP

United Kingdom
    what bothered me the most was that part near the end -> "I will be able to be contacted via E-mail at anytime after you have received your training materials to help you, or answer any questions you may have."

it could be rephrases as "pay me, then you can contact me for questions. nothing before that" [​IMG]

11. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    100% Sus

12. ugly_rose

Member ugly_rose GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    I don't know why you even bother with this, acrocosm.

If you have even the slightest doubt, just stay away.

Just for your information, even telemarketing companies (the lowest form of life? [​IMG]) have PAID training. They pay you, never the other way around. And as someone smart said earlier, a person meaning business and not scam would not have the need to justify themselves saying "this is no get-rich-quick scheme".

Quite simply put she/he wants to milk 10 sterlings out of you.

13. acrocosm
    OP

United Kingdom

initially i thought it would a proper side job reading the ad. But after receiving that email i knew most likely it was a scum. however I just couldn't resist mailing them after receiving it. plus as I said to them i will let as many people as posible know about it and this is a nice place to do so with all those users [​IMG]

still no reply btw and i found excacly the same ad again but with a different email and send a new request for job to that one too from a new email account. Some Antony Brah asked them for a job [​IMG]

I was curious to see what kind of email i would receive sending that blank that she/he suggested with PAYMENT as title. no reply to that either...

simonegordonrogers@hotmail.co.uk

14. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Wow dodgy :S Can you report them to the job ad's site? (by the advert text I mean, I'm aware that their company details keep changing)