Francis Ford Coppola launches Kickstarter campaign for Apocalypse Now adaptation

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    688f76d18f23dd23674185221569afec_original.png

For those who don't know, Apocalypse Now is a 1979 movie from famed Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola. Now, nearly 40 years later, Francis Ford Coppola is back and ready to announce his latest project. It's a 900,000 dollar kickstarter campaign in order to make a video game adaptation of the movie. Coppola's goal is to create a horror-RPG combination based on the Vietnam War, utilizing the talents of writers and designers of some of the best western RPGs of all time like The Witcher, Fallout New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment and more. Should the kickstarter be funded, the game will release sometime in the year 2020, and backers will get an early access demo on the 40-year-anniversary of the movie's release.

:arrow: Kickstarter

2. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I see no method at all sir.

VinLark, Chary and T-hug like this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Paid non investment but actually still an investment to get to an early access of the demo? Bravo sir. You have a way to go before you top mighty no 9 but that is a hell of an opening swing.

That said this does seem to work well as an interest gauge, which I can get behind.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. XDel

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Apocalypse Now: The Quest for Ears

Collect enough ears to make a necklace before time runs out!!!

[​IMG]

Subtle Demise and Noctosphere like this.
  5. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    A taste of snobbery from me, people should know that movie, it's quite the experience, especially learning the behind-the-scenes stuff like Martin Sheen suffering a heart attack during production, and I'm sure a bunch of video games referenced the "Napalm in the morning" line. Anyways, hope it goes well, could make for a nice PC game.

Subtle Demise, XDel and Chary like this.
  6. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, it's definitely a classic. Was tempted to use a line from the movie in the OP, actually, haha. But there's a good chance of the younger demographic here who's never heard of it/it's a bit too adult for them.
    Honestly if it was just New Vegas with better gun play reskinned for the movie's purposes, I could die happy.

Subtle Demise and RustInPeace like this.
  7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Apocalypse now is a movie? Well least is not that game by activision on playstation starring bruce willis. :P

[​IMG]

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I fell somewhat out of touch with shooting games in recent years.

Has Vietnam been explored much in games? Line of Sight Vietnam is the only thing to do it in depth from what I have played, and despite not being an amazing game it has the dubious honour of being the only thing I have ever really enjoyed from online play. I think I played a prologue set in a non descript jungle once too.

A bit of pity really as from a gameplay perspective a lot of the weapons were pretty modern, or at least not half as limited as some of the world war 2 era stuff, and as much as I like my crazy night + heat vision scopes there is something to be said for a basic M16.

Wonder if it is part of the "only do popular fronts in popular wars with sides that did not go on to do bad things (save maybe Russia but the cold war was cold so who cares), doubly so if it is a game*" or rendering all that foliage would be a problem.

*see also why we have a half a hundred films and TV shows covering Iraq and Afghanistan but someone tries to make a game and up sparks a nice bit of controversy.

9. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I can't see this movie as a game unless it's done like a telltale game, which I don't really like :/

I mean it's a weird ass film too, what can they really do with it?

If it becomes a horror game then it's not Apocalypse Now, and I fear they may be just cashing in on the name for the 40th anniversary.

RustInPeace likes this.
  10. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    if they could get martin sheen to do the voice acting it would certantly be cool

11. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I honestly thought Francis Ford Coppola died long ago

Subtle Demise, jDSX and T-hug like this.
  12. HavengulZenith

HavengulZenith Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    I always wanted a sequel to Spec Ops: the Line. :P

13. XDel

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    It will only be good if the coders go through what the cast went through to make the film...
    ...blood must be spilled!

14. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    If you don't think Apocalypse Now is a horror movie, I think you missed a bit.

15. SuperYoshi93

SuperYoshi93 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2016
    Italy
    Apocalypse Now an horror movie? Oh god, what did i read.

Btw, about the announcement I feel like this is one of those games that I really dont need. I'm not saying it could be bad, just.. I dont care. But ehy We live in a era where anything can be everything.
    lol