LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Commissioner-Gordon.jpg

On the same day that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premiered, FOX decides to announce its own super hero spin-off show. Enjoy!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/27/entertainment-us-batman-idUSBRE98O1AQ20130927

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
This is Pre-Batman, right? That doesn't sound all that exciting. There are various other police dramas on television that I can watch to get my fix if need be. Maybe if this ties into the new line of films I'll attempt to watch it at least once, but for now I'll pass.

Reactions: Gahars

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved every bit of the Batman trilogy, this is definitely something I'll be keeping my eye on.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's Batman before any of the things that make the franchise interesting (you know, Batman and the rogues gallery that comes with). Woo?

It'd be like if Sony tried to make "Jameson", an exciting prequel to the Spider-Man franchise where J. Jonah Jameson runs a newspaper and sometimes gets grumpy.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's Batman before any of the things that make the franchise interesting (you know, Batman and the rogues gallery that comes with). Woo?

It'd be like if Sony tried to make "Jameson", an exciting prequel to the Spider-Man franchise where J. Jonah Jameson runs a newspaper and sometimes gets grumpy.
you can make a series out of any stupid idea, only now they are using a selling point to get free publicity... and can sometimes makes cameos here and there...

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Except Jim Gordon is a legitimate and interesting character and police dramas/procedurals are actually pretty difficult to fuck up. J3 and print editing, not so much.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No idea why, but I legit busted out laughing at that last bit haha! All-in-all, I agree! I don't see this lasting long.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except Jim Gordon is a legitimate and interesting character and police dramas/procedurals are actually pretty difficult to fuck up. J3 and print editing, not so much.

"Pretty difficult to fuck up" because they're boring and formulaic. And if Agents of SHIELD is teaching us anything it's that superhero shows minus superheroes are actual shit. Because superheroes are interesting because they're A) super and B) heroes. Their cavalcade of side characters are neither and completely uninteresting.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I would watch the hell out of that, assuming it was sort of like an Office type show, and it had J.K. Simmons.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country

I think it'd be more like if they tried to make a Captain Stacey show about how he becomes Captain.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3tTneaA.jpg
EtU6Yhw.jpg

Two shows compared to the large amount other shows they either canned flat out or cancelled than un-cancelled, then cancelled again.
Just because they didn't cancel two shows doesn't give any hope to this one.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two shows compared to the large amount other shows they either canned flat out or cancelled than un-cancelled, then cancelled again.
Just because they didn't cancel two shows doesn't give any hope to this one.

The vast majority of television shows get cancelled anyway; it's not just Fox. I mean, of all the new shows premiering this fall, how many do you think are actually going to stick around? I guarantee you it'll be a small percentage. Networks find what works in their schedule and then cull the rest.

And the point wasn't "These shows didn't get cancelled." The point is that Fox is more than happy to run something into the ground for as long as it can, perhaps more than any network. There's far, far more examples where they came from (24, the entire MacFarlane block, American Idol, Married... With Children, etc.). Hell, they gave Arrested Development three seasons. Considering that show's abysmal ratings, that was pretty damn generous of them.

Firefly was 10 years ago. Move on, bub.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The vast majority of television shows get cancelled anyway; it's not just Fox. I mean, of all the new shows premiering this fall, how many do you think are actually going to stick around? I guarantee you it'll be a small percentage. Networks find what works in their schedule and then cull the rest.

And the point wasn't "These shows didn't get cancelled." The point is that Fox is more than happy to run something into the ground for as long as it can, perhaps more than any network. There's far, far more examples where they came from (24, the entire MacFarlane block, American Idol, Married... With Children, etc.). Hell, they gave Arrested Development three seasons. Considering that show's abysmal ratings, that was pretty damn generous of them.

Firefly was 10 years ago. Move on, bub.

My point still is that I don't expect this show to last as long as it should. Not saying it's impossible, but FOX has been known to do some weird things, like cancel popular shows, but keep shows that were losing in popularity. Maybe I will be wrong and this show will not only be a hit, but FOX will see that and keep it running, who knows I don't predict the future.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Pretty difficult to fuck up" because they're boring and formulaic. And if Agents of SHIELD is teaching us anything it's that superhero shows minus superheroes are actual shit. Because superheroes are interesting because they're A) super and B) heroes. Their cavalcade of side characters are neither and completely uninteresting.
I agree. All superhero shows without superheroes leave a little to be desired. All of them. The one superhero show without superheroes... But does that really mean it's impossible for someone to get it right? And is it really that fair to deem a show shit after two decent episodes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn