Hacking Four new people paid off by Nintendo in the HackerOne program

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that pisses me off is seeing "ryanw" on the list, because if he's who I think he is, we all know he's just leaking other people's shit to get a quick buck

Who do you suspect this person is? I wouldn't be surprised if those sycophantic wieners were responsible for getting Nintendo to "update" the Wii U.

Edit: Wait, you mean that ryanrocks dude or whoever it was?

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's honestly a pretty smart move from Nintendo, and it's obviously working to some extent.

Most people in the console hacking scenes don't do it for money. (Legally it's next to impossible to actually make money off homebrew and console exploits, for obvious reasons.) They do it for personal use, or for recognition in the community.

Nintendo has basically said: "Hey hackers, come hack our stuff. If you find exploits we'll pay you money." Not only are they getting recognition from Nintendo, they're actually getting paid for their hard work. And by doing so, Nintendo effectively outsourced some development work.

I wonder if any of the big developers in the 3DS and Wii U scenes have submitted anything under an alternate username to make some quick money haha. I wouldn't blame them if they did.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A penny for your thought?
"Ryanrocks" is a guy who, before he was banned here, leaked a bunch of Mario Kart 8 stuff that he didn't develop early before it was ready for the public and Nintendo released a mandatory update if you wanted to go online.

He's also still on Twitter pretending to be a master hacker

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Ryanrocks" is a guy who, before he was banned here, leaked a bunch of Mario Kart 8 stuff that he didn't develop early before it was ready for the public and Nintendo released a mandatory update if you wanted to go online.

He's also still on Twitter pretending to be a master hacker

I wouldn't put it past him to pull some bullshit stunt like that. I can't stand white knighting sycophants.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People who are angry at this often forget that if the Switch was already hacked, it would enable piracy.
Which means that developers would not port or create a single game for that thing considering that its already hacked and easy to download games rather than buying them.
Sometimes, you need to put yourself in the shoes of a game developer and realize things from a different perspective.

Reactions: Zidapi

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remember, if it's your exploit, you are able to do anything you want with it. if you would like to report your own exploit to Nintendo to get paid, that is your right. while it's nice that many people do, you are not entitled to give it out.

who knows what the others did? all we know is that at least one of them did sell an exploit that was not theirs.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who are angry at this often forget that if the Switch was already hacked, it would enable piracy.
Which means that developers would not port or create a single game for that thing considering that its already hacked and easy to download games rather than buying them.
Sometimes, you need to put yourself in the shoes of a game developer and realize things from a different perspective.
Enable, yes. Except if we don't get a piracy tool. Additionally, many people would still buy the games.

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that pisses me off is seeing "ryanw" on the list, because if he's who I think he is, we all know he's just leaking other people's shit to get a quick buck
ryan has ACTUALLY been pretty good with not leaking the current "things" he has.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If there was only homebrew for emulators, media player, etc, but not ROMs, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Good: Emulators (since Nintendo is being ass-backwards about the VC)
Media players
Language/audio hacks
Disabling forced updates

Bad: Switch ROM loading

What I'm sick of is people thinking that enabling hacks automatically equates to piracy when homebrew doesn't steal anything. I don't see how anyone can think installing something on a console is pirating. Circumvention, yes, but stealing no.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Enable, yes. Except if we don't get a piracy tool. Additionally, many people would still buy the games.
There's no piracy tool, once a console is modified piracy is already enabled.
Just take a look at Gateway 3DS, one of the first to discover exploits for the system which enabled them to sell their own shitty flashcard for people to download games without paying.
If there was only homebrew for emulators, media player, etc, but not ROMs, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Good: Emulators (since Nintendo is being ass-backwards about the VC)
Media players
Language/audio hacks
Disabling forced updates

Bad: Switch ROM loading

What I'm sick of is people thinking that enabling hacks automatically equates to piracy when homebrew doesn't steal anything.
Come on Brandt, we all know noobs just want the console hacked as fast as possible to avoid wasting more money on games.
All of those things you just specified aren't Nintendo-signed, which means games can also have the same breach.

Last edited by Yepi69,

BlastedGuy9905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no piracy tool, once a console is modified piracy is already enabled.
Just take a look at Gateway 3DS, one of the first to discover exploits for the system which enabled them to sell their own shitty flashcard for people to download games without paying.
Oh, you're right. But first, the flashcarts still need to get developed and made, maybe mass-produced.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're violating device's warranty and company's ToS for rooting or trying to modify/alter functions to your own uses.
It's not illegal. It's running unauthorized software on your device which wasn't supposed to be there.
When you buy something, it becomes your property, and unless you do illegal shit, you can do anything you want with your system.

Reactions: whateverg1012

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh, you're right. But first, the flashcarts still need to get developed and made, maybe mass-produced.

When you buy something, it becomes your property, and unless you do illegal shit, you can do anything you want with your system.
Then find your own exploits if you think so.

Reactions: Zidapi and TerryG

BlastedGuy9905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then find your own exploits if you think so.
I wonder where I said that? I was saying that if you don't do stuff that is against the LAW, you can do anything. I never said that I'm a hacker/dev.

Please, for the sake of my fingers and my keyboard, stop arguing, my palms are starting to sweat from all this typing. :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🛌