Found some old photos of my xbox modding endeavours.... "Back in the day"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by Jao Chu, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Jao Chu
    OP

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    So i logged into my old photobucket from back in the early 2000's the other week and much to my suprise it is still active, frozen in time.

I thought i would share some of the photos from this photobucket which i mainly used to host photos for my posts over at the xbox-scene forums.

They might spark up a bit of nostalgia for all you old school xbox modders who now call gbatemp home! :)

Pic 1: My first foray into case modding, a simple paint job and a clear "xbox" jewel cleared with oven cleaner and a lot of sanding!
    IMG_0453-1.jpg
    Pic 2: A circular cold cathode tube is glued to the case underside and taps into the hard drive MOLAR power connector.
    IMG_0454.jpg

Pic 3: The final product, a clean and tidy little unit!
    IMG_0452.jpg

Pic 4: Xecuter LCD and control panel, its a complete bolt on replacement. Racheal was the name of my current girlfriend at the time if anyone was curious of the message displayed on the LCD :P
    2bed2639-2.JPG

Pic 5: Gutted xbox showing the Xecuter 3 CE modchip sitting pretty on the motherboard.
    ab0e443e.JPG

Pic 6: The third major mod i performed to this xbox. An LCD screen donated from a Hip Gear ScreenPad and soldered directly to the video outputs on the motherboard.
    IMG_0483.jpg

Pic 7: The xbox dashboard displayed on the functional LCD. The xbox can boot up and be used without an A/V cable connected.
    IMG_0486.jpg

Pic 8: This was going to be the ultimate fate of this xbox, crystal clear case and hacked up to become a "slimbox" (that is, an xbox with the DVD drive removed and a few centermeters thinner.
    IMG_0464.JPG

Pic 9: A preliminary fitting of the LCD screen in the front panel. It's a shame i never finished this xbox. School and work commitments plus social life didn't leave a great deal of time to enjoy this hobby. It would of looked sweet though!
    IMG_0474.JPG

Thats all folks, hope you enjoyed!

Attached Files:

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I never really liked casemods in all honesty.
    Most of the times they just cut a window in it, stick a fuck ton of bright lights in them (enough to illuminate a runway) and spraypaint some ugly design over it.

It's indeed a shame you didn't finished it.
    Elaborate builds like this is something that does spark me interest (oddly enough)

3. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Nice pic's I like those kind off mods.
    Here is my modded XBOX ;)
    [​IMG]

Duo X3 modchip
    Build in Wireless controller dongle + connection led/connect switch
    IDE2SATA 250GB HDD.
    HDD busy led

Last edited by DaFixer, Jul 30, 2016
    CheatingSoi and DinohScene like this.
  4. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Id show you a picture of mine but it's just a softmod :( I wish I had the same talent you guys have. I just got my first Xbox and modded it last week.