OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mkay so here's what I did...

1. Downloaded Brain Age from the eShop.

2. Made a COPY of the Brain Age game and put it on an external hard drive.

3. Unplugged the external.

4. Followed the Haxchi guide doing the usual internet browser method to access the Homebrew Launcher Channel and installed Haxchi over Brain Age.

5. Installed Coldboot Haxchi over that and finished that section of the guide.

6. Once I was finished I turned off my system and plugged in my external that still had Brain Age on it.
So at this point in time, Coldboot Haxchi is installed over the Brain Age in the system memory, but Brain Age is also on my external hard drive.

7. When I first configured Coldboot Haxchi I set it up to boot to the homebrew menu. When I got out of the homebrew menu, to my surprise, Brain Age was showing as opposed to the Haxchi icon.

8. I powered on my Wii U again and when it was about to boot to the system menu through coldboot haxchi, I held the home button to go back to the configuration and had it boot to the home menu instead.

9. After powering on my Wii U a 3rd time, Brain Age was still showing instead of Haxchi. Curious, I launched it. Sure enough, I could still play Brain Age!

So from the looks of it, even though Brain Age is installed on both the system memory and the external hard drive, what happens from the looks of it is it uses coldboot haxchi aka brain age on my system memory to boot up, but it displays Brain Age from my external for some reason and prioritizes that in the system menu. So if you just wanted the homebrew launcher channel showing, that's fine. Another option if you have kids and don't want them messing with anything is to not have the homebrew launcher channel and keep haxchi hidden with your hard drive plugged in, I can still boot into the Homebrew Launcher Channel via when the Wii U boots up and holding the home button to have coldboot haxchi boot to the homebrew channel.

Would anyone be willing to try this out as well. I'm very excited about this as now it looks like I'll be able to have the entire wii u library on my wii U between my external and internal memory including brain age. :)

EDIT: When my hard drive is unplugged, Haxchi shows up instead of Brain Age. If anyone needs a video or something let me know.
Also I was just informed the limit is 300 games regardless of space lel oh well, still a neat way to hide the Haxchi channel and still have the DS title of your choice fully playable post Haxchi exploit.

Last edited by Sternosaur,
D

Deleted User

Because I am an absolute nutcase and love to break shit, I decided to be a guinea pig and test this out for myself...it actually works!!!

Stealth mode activate!

I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing till now Fix94 and all tutorials covering coldboot never have mentioned copying the VC title before install.

Reactions: Sternosaur

Twhite90

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a (slightly) related question :
If I used the european version of Brain Age for Coldboot, can't I install the American version ? They should be treated as separate software no ?

D

Deleted User

Ugh, sorry been having internet issues all day, wasn't trying to triple post.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

The "effort" isn't even effort though. Just copy the game to a usb then unplug it prior to install.

In my case I uninstalled cbhc, deleted it from system settings, re-downloaded Phantom Hourglass, copied and then reinstalled.

If that's effort, you my friend are lazy.

Reactions: SuperDan
D

Deleted User

Lazy . Indeed you got me there .
>.> I don't understand that kind of laziness it doesn't actually require physically moving.

I've got a buddy who has a good amount of consoles and when I asked him why he hasn't played certain ones he said;

"Then I would have to get up, walk to the shelf, grab the disc, put it in the console, flip the hdmi multi to that switch, walk back to the couch, grab the remote and change the input."

I think he spent more effort explaining then it would have taken to do. xD

Sternosaur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I am an absolute nutcase and love to break shit, I decided to be a guinea pig and test this out for myself...it actually works!!!

Stealth mode activate!

I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing till now Fix94 and all tutorials covering coldboot never have mentioned copying the VC title before install.
YES! Awesome, glad to hear I was able to help contribute in some small way. Thank you for testing this. I did it on several of my friends Wii U's as well with no problem. Even after taking a couple of months off I still have the entire process memorized haha

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Why would you want to play the exploited game after installing Haxchi+CBHC? Since I can pop me an old DS Lite out of the closet (if you own one) copy a firmware to a flashcard and then play the games (if you have a flashcard). The resolution of DS VC games on the Wii U look awful.

Sternosaur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want to play the exploited game after installing Haxchi+CBHC? Since I can pop me an old DS Lite out of the closet (if you own one) copy a firmware to a flashcard and then play the games (if you have a flashcard). The resolution of DS VC games on the Wii U look awful.
If you read the bottom part of the original post, you can hide Haxchi with the game, since they share the same title ID this should still count as your 1 in 300 games/applications you can install since there's a 300 limit

Reactions: piratesephiroth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: +1