Hardware Found a pretty cheap capture card... What do you guys think?

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Consoles are HDCP protected iirc? Which means you can't record stuff from HDMI, but with an In-PC Capture card i think you can record but you'll need to record it with Bandicam or some other PC recording software which means that you need a lot of PC power.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are HDCP protected iirc? Which means you can't record stuff from HDMI, but with an In-PC Capture card i think you can record but you'll need to record it with Bandicam or some other PC recording software which means that you need a lot of PC power.

I think you're thinking of the PS3 and 4, I know that they were protected because they were afraid that people would record Bluray stuff. I'm planning on recording mostly Nintendo stuff, though, and to my knowledge that's pretty recordable (you just have to jump through some hoops to get it on YouTube :glare:)
You might want something that goes up to at least 1080p. That thing only does 1080i.

As long as it's HD it's fine to me, recording at 720p isn't a huge issue (I did see that, but thanks for pointing it out :))

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

The PS3 and the PS4 do, but you can easily get around that by using an HDMI switch.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you're thinking of the PS3 and 4, I know that they were protected because they were afraid that people would record Bluray stuff.

161389_4.jpg=450

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Oh, yeah, that I did miss XD or I guess I saw it and didn't pay attention to it. I'm thinking that that may just be referring to its ability to capture component/S-Video signals, though

The pics on ebay show Component cable which can do 720p and 1080p meaning it can record 1080p?

EDIT: It can 720p but can't 1080p, only i.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But iirc you don't need one for In PC Capture cards because it just streams the video from the console to the PC and Recording Software records it for you?

What the hardware does is it decodes the video and audio to a format that the PC will understand and stream it to either a window or make the image fullscreen. Sometimes they come with software to record as well, and I believe that's the case with this, but if not I have OBS, which should make quick work of recording just about anything in a window

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
What the hardware does is it decodes the video and audio to a format that the PC will understand and stream it to either a window or make the image fullscreen. Sometimes they come with software to record as well, and I believe that's the case with this, but if not I have OBS, which should make quick work of recording just about anything in a window

Yup, but i wanted to know if you need to have a HDMI switch for In-PC Capture cards because i've read online that you don't. Not sure if its true.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But iirc you don't need one for In PC Capture cards because it just streams the video from the console to the PC and Recording Software records it for you?

The issue as you say is HDCP. For reasons unknown the PS3/PS4 (and I think also the ouya) encrypts gameplay footage as well.
Fortunately the HDCP master keys were leaked, this talk covers some of the tech stuff and some more besides and this led to two things we are interested in here.

1) HDCP strippers being made.

2) HDCP ignoring capture cards being made.

HDCP strippers tend to be frowned upon as a term, fortunately much like a break in kit for a car is illegal but a break out kit is an entirely legit tool for a mechanic you have "HDMI switches". These do various things including double outputs, actually switch inputs and outputs and good stuff like that. If they just so happen to also remove HDCP then....
Not all HDMI switches will remove HDCP but look for a couple of minutes among the things coming out of China/Hong Kong (not all but enough that you can get one for a reasonable price if you want one) and you should be able to find something.

HDCP ignoring capture cards also tended to come out of China. You can get some really nice capture cards for not a lot ( http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-4134-blackmagic-intensity-pro-4k.aspx being a 4K capable one, the now horribly backwards 1080p capable stuff is even cheaper) but they will probably have HDCP support (thus requiring you to strip it).

Reactions: GamerzHell9137

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum