Forum Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by LordMelkor, Apr 18, 2008.

Apr 18, 2008

Forum Suggestion by LordMelkor at 10:13 PM (1,651 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. LordMelkor
    OP

Newcomer LordMelkor Advanced Member

United States
    Hello GBAtemp!

After navigating through various topic I realized that it would be REALLY useful if you guys allowed for searching of specific threads. There are numerous threads throughout the forums that have 100+ pages, and it is nearly possible to find what you are looking for.

In short:

Suggestion: Option to search within a thread.

Thanks!

2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Should such option be implemented, this forum will go through a massive drainage in the server because the search engine has to be much more thorough.

3. WeaponXxX

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    I miss the search function so bad it hurts. I'd give me left testicle just to have it back [​IMG]

4. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I agree, the current search method does leave a lot to be desired. We'll have to have a look at what we can do with it.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I will probably get bitch slapped by Costello (and rightly so) but hit options (top right of the screen under new topic and whatnot) and then print topic (you could use download as well).
    Condenses the entire topic down into one page which you can then page search with your browser (I would suggest you kill pictures and whatever else to bring it as close to text as you can).
    Just tried it out on the temper pics topic (nearly 1000 replies) and despite it almost killing my machine (slow laptop with 256 ram and my usual 10 apps and 50 tabs compliment already there) it loaded up.

6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
  7. WeaponXxX

United States
    Oh man you just got my hopes up... too bad it is to search only this thread.

8. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    yeah, i was reading this like [​IMG] I always use that function. I guess it's pretty hidden away down there

9. WeaponXxX

United States
    Were talking about being able to search ALL the threads for a particular word. Better yet the old search function allowed searching a set time frame. Good if you were in a heated battle and wanted to find the thread easily.

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    You might be, but I'm pretty sure this answers the original poster's question [​IMG] (Re-read the first post, noting "searching of specific threads", over 100 replies and "option to search within a thread")

About searching all threads, Google isn't much use (too fuzzy on the answers) but the subforum search works okay (the search box at the bottom of the topic list) if you know which section your thread's likely to be in. I do miss filtering by user though, sometimes you know who said it but damned if you can remember where [​IMG]

Edit: having said that... I've just pressed the wrong button and found an internal search engine completely by accident [​IMG] Take a look in "My Assitant" (next to "view new posts" on the top bar), there's a search engine in there. It doesn't let you limit the timeframe or anything fancy but it will do the job.