Fortnite sees 3.4 million concurrent players at peak

fortnite34.png

Publisher Epic Games have released a statement that their massively popular multiplayer game Fortnite Battle Royale saw a record-breaking peak total of 3.4 million concurrent users on Sunday 4th February.

Fortnite Battle Royale is a sandbox co-op massively multiplayer game that sees individuals or teams pit against each other in a battle royale situation in which the last player or team are standing are declared winners. Players must scavenge the map for weapons and materials as a slowly progressing storm forces players to keep moving on into a smaller and smaller play field.

This peak player count of 3.4 million beats the record of 3 million players on its closest competitor - the fiercely successful and popular PUBG back in December of 2017. Though most of Fortnite's success can be contributed with it being free to play and availability on most platforms.

Epic Games said:
Fortnite hit a new peak of 3.4 million concurrent players last Sunday… and that didn’t come without issues! [...] The extreme load caused 6 different incidents between Saturday and Sunday, with a mix of partial and total service disruptions to Fortnite.

Are you a player of Fortnite Battle Royale or do you prefer PUBG? What do you make of the rising surge in popularity of these battle royale games and do you see them as a flash in the pan or a long term success? Let us know your thoughts below.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Fortnite Review (Early Access)

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this will affect the original part of the game, the base-building crafting portion, and if Epic will focus solely on the battle royale part due to its massive success. From what I've played and watched of Fortnite, it seems the more all-around solid game compared to PUBG, but the latter seems far more well-liked by people in general.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing this game for a couple months and it has been very fun. I brought pubg thinking it would be better in every way but it turned out to be no where near as fun as fortnite. The most surprising thing about it is that for it being a free to play game it is filled with very little amount of micro transactions (which are skins and the story mode which will be free next month anyway).

D

Deleted User

I tried Fortnite. It's fun, kind of like Minecraft Hunger Games, but it's an actual game itself. There are a lot of opportunities for strategy, given how you can pretty much build fortresses on the fly and set up traps. I suck at it, though.

Never played PUBG, so I don't have an opinion on that.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I'm having a blast with this game though I find it most enjoyable with friends. Never having played a battle royale game before it's a great change in pace from your typical all-guns blazing multiplayer shooter.

I do like the look of PUBG and the larger map size but you can't complain with Fortnite being free!

Reactions: placebooooo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dislike the concept of all these battle royale games. They're more an excuse for pre-teens to shit talk on their mics than they are actual video games. So limited in scope too...one game mode usually on one map. There seems to be almost no real progression at all, either.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Ace001

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dislike the concept of all these battle royale games. They're more an excuse for pre-teens to shit talk on their mics than they are actual video games. So limited in scope too...one game mode usually on one map. There seems to be almost no real progression at all, either.
What? You know at least on fortnite mic talking is limited to your party only, so unless you have kids as your friends you wont be hearing squakers or whinners that much compared to bf or cod. If you play solo you will hear no one.

It is pretty easy to dislike something when you havent even tried it out.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What? You know at least on fortnite mic talking is limited to your party only, so unless you have kids as your friends you wont be hearing squakers or whinners that much compared to bf or cod. If you play solo you will hear no one.

It is pretty easy to dislike something when you havent even tried it out.
Everybody is on Discord or Twitch now. Kids find a way. If all else fails there's always whining over typed chat. I get the feeling most PUBG/Fortnite players came from LoL, which is just part of why I avoid these games like the plague.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everybody is on Discord or Twitch now. Kids find a way. If all else fails there's always whining over typed chat. I get the feeling most PUBG/Fortnite players came from LoL, which is just part of why I avoid these games like the plague.
Now you are bringing chat apps to keep your argument, pretty lame if you ask me, also the lol thing, pretty lame, but hey, it is your "opinion" after all.

Reactions: filfat

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Now you are bringing chat apps to keep your argument, pretty lame if you ask me, also the lol thing, pretty lame, but hey, it is your "opinion" after all.
Again, I don't like the format of these games either, but the kiddies chasing whatever current fad there is in gaming definitely don't help change my mind. First it was MOBAs and then Battle Royales, hopefully next it'll actually be something good.

Last edited by Xzi,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I don't like the format of these games either, but the kiddies chasing whatever current fad there is in gaming definitely don't help change my mind.
Just talking about my own experience on ps4 with this game, so far since i gave it try last year, no one has sent me insulting messages over the ps4 messaging system, no one has messaged me so far about the game nor they being killed, no one has complained not even on mics when playing squads with matched players, no one has tried to contact me over the internet to insult me about the game, so really, i dont know what the fuck you are talking about...

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night