1. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    https_%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F10%2Ffortnite2.jpg

It seems Epic Games didn't want to get stood up by Nintendo in terms of crazy announcements today, as the company behind Fortnite revealed that the game will be coming to to...mobile. Of course, that itself isn't too wild, but things don't end there, as the iOS and Android versions of the game will not only have the exact same content as the free-to-play console and PC versions...but they'll also have...cross play. Players on PS4 and PC will, in the future, be able to fight against those on iOS and Android. Yes, you read that right. No, this isn't April Fools, yet. The iOS version is the only one that'll be getting a beta at this time. So now, those who play on PC with a controller can rest easy, as now, your friends will ridicule those playing on touch screens, rather than you.

If you manage to stop being befuddled by March 12, you can sign up for the iOS beta on March 12th on Epic Games' official site.

:arrow: Source

2. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    I'm sorry, but uh... what the fuck?

Yepi69, VinsCool, rileysrjay and 2 others like this.
  3. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Antarctica
    Fortnite? On mobile?

I'm not hopeful.

4. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Is this the first PS4 crossplay title? I know Sony was having some issues about that.
    Wonder what this means for other consoles.

5. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Maniac

Nigeria
    Why not the Switch at least? This seems like a major step backwards

aykay55 and Memoir like this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Can't wait for this to flop super hard.

I could see it on mobile to a certain degree (if that), but cross platform online? No one in their right mind would willingly play a "fast pace" type with ass touch controls against someone using a KB/M, or even potato gamepad controls! Even if they made it gamepad only I cannot honestly imagine this being remotely good. I mean, even that giant iPad would be a pain in the ass to play this game on, let alone an iPhone or an iPod.

At best Android TV devices might work, but seeing how there's only one good one (the Shield TV) I just cannot see this doing well whatsoever.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No, there are quite a few cross play games on PS4. Rocket League, for example, or that Star Trek VR game, or FF14. A fair few indie titles do as well.

7. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Seems I remembered wrong. Maybe it was Sony just wouldn't crossplay with other consoles.

8. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    Rocket League still doesn't have PS4 crossplay, and that's because of Sony's refusal to allow it. They have everything set to enable it, if only Sony would let them. While some games like FF14 do have crossplay, Sony's been far more conservative about the idea than the other major players.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    ? Rocket League does support cross play with PC on PS4. Just not Xbox Live.

Memoir and OrGoN3 like this.
  10. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    So it currently only has cross progression between PS4 and PC. When are they planning on adding cross-play?

11. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

United States
    PUBG has a android version, an official one for chinese players... so fortnite being on mobile devices isnt that hard to believe. What you said about cross platform... hmm yeah, no body on ps4 or pc would want to play with the ones using mobile devices, but the point isnt only corss platform multiplayer, the point is that fortnite is releasing on mobile and people there will play it anyway and give epic games even more money.

12. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty Don't drink too much!

Canada
    oh so now fuck boys can post about their wins at school yay humanity.

13. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Okay... But why though?

14. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

United States
    Because money of course... as stupid as it sounds epic games makes a lot of money with the game's microtransaction, even if they are pure cosmetic stuff...

15. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    As far as I'm aware cross-play will only kick in when you have someone in your squad on another platform so by default mobile is only going to end up with mobile players but if you then invite a PS4/PC player you will end up with other players who have mixed platforms.

At the end of the day that is your choice to end up in a match with people on other platforms, I'm fine with it, if I chose to play with a friend on PS4 while on my Mobile sure I'd expect to get stomped but hopefully still have some fun in the process :)

16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'm mostly interested in the mobile price. Because mobile games expect everything to be free, it having the same price as on other devices will cool interest quickly.

But overall, it's a good thing. Mobile devices are catching up to consoles and pics for years now, so this was only a matter of time before it happened. (Okay... That i predicted this makes me even more happy:D).

I'm not too concerned about the touchscreen thing. You'll obviously need a beefy tablet for this, so the extra 20 bucks or so for Bluetooth controllers is an easy extra.

17. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    Fortnite is a free game sooo...it's probably gonna be free :P

KingVamp likes this.
  18. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    Does it really? Huh, must've missed that.

19. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Oops. Sorry...I didn't know. :shy:

Erm...I guess in this case, mobile users won't mind only having to pay 50% of the cost of the PS/PS4 versions. ;)

20. jrobertdobson

jrobertdobson Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Now that PUBG dropped in US... this is gonna do something. PUBG has no BT controller support... IF this does, I'm in.

Fortnite ain't free, its pay2win... unfortunately this is becoming of most "games" now.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - crossplay, Fortnite, getting