Former Nintendo developer shows off tech demo footage from Ocarina of Time that features portals

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time.jpg

You learn something new every day, and something new that fans are learning today is the fact that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time originally had teleportation portals that would transport players to different locations across Hyrule. This bit of trivia was originally revealed a few months ago during an interview with a developer who worked at Nintendo in the 1990s, and helped make beloved Nintendo 64 games such as Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, and 1080 Snowboarding. According to Giles Goddard, the former Nintendo employee in question, a very early test build of Ocarina of Time featured floating crystals that acted as portals that would warp Link across the game's world.

As those familiar with the game might know, the final product instead opted for a more open-world approach to exploring Hyrule. However, fans were incredibly curious about what these supposed portals looked like, eager for a glimpse at what one of the world's most famous games looked like early on in development. Goddard was initially reluctant to share further details, but early this morning, he opted to show a GIF of what that original tech demo looked like. You can see it for yourself, below.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit this came out of nowhere! That transition animation was buttery smooth too. When the camera enters the crystal, it seems to retain the orientation of the crystal, and then slowly realigns itself.

I think the game is better without that kind of teleportation, but it sure looks cool!

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it has portals, using the songs to travel and the green stone in dungeons. I know that he planned to use them as puzzle like portal but , technically it has them.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean it has portals, using the songs to travel and the green stone in dungeons. I know that he planned to use them as puzzle like portal but , technically it has them.

Isn’t that ‘teleportation’ though as opposed to ‘portals’? SM64 used the former AFAIK for the endless stairs and it’s been a while since I played OoT.

The first part of the video looks like an actual ‘portal’.

Reactions: Shadowfied

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit this came out of nowhere! That transition animation was buttery smooth too. When the camera enters the crystal, it seems to retain the orientation of the crystal, and then slowly realigns itself.

I think the game is better without that kind of teleportation, but it sure looks cool!
I think the effect would quickly have gone to shit once the perspective would have been properly implemented as a third person game.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just recently made a VR MOD for Zelda 64 .. & if you are a big Zelda fan like myself it was quite a randomly fun experience.. very janky & un polished but definitely playable .. i like VR Games but i still get motion sick after a while depending on what im playing Pavlov VR has many Zelda Maps to play Team deathmatches on ... we was trying a few last night Zelda Wind Waker .. was fun

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 1st person view only? Maybe due to technical limitations on the N64, but why this idea was never implemented in any other Zelda is beyond me. It looks basic but it has potential.
@1B51004 I wouldn't say this is Portal like, it's still very basic here, without mentioning not having the ability to open portals at will, no dual portal setup, no puzzles in sight, etc.
But the idea has potential specially in a Zelda game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c