Former Nintendo developer shows off tech demo footage from Ocarina of Time that features portals

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time.jpg

You learn something new every day, and something new that fans are learning today is the fact that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time originally had teleportation portals that would transport players to different locations across Hyrule. This bit of trivia was originally revealed a few months ago during an interview with a developer who worked at Nintendo in the 1990s, and helped make beloved Nintendo 64 games such as Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, and 1080 Snowboarding. According to Giles Goddard, the former Nintendo employee in question, a very early test build of Ocarina of Time featured floating crystals that acted as portals that would warp Link across the game's world.

As those familiar with the game might know, the final product instead opted for a more open-world approach to exploring Hyrule. However, fans were incredibly curious about what these supposed portals looked like, eager for a glimpse at what one of the world's most famous games looked like early on in development. Goddard was initially reluctant to share further details, but early this morning, he opted to show a GIF of what that original tech demo looked like. You can see it for yourself, below.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit this came out of nowhere! That transition animation was buttery smooth too. When the camera enters the crystal, it seems to retain the orientation of the crystal, and then slowly realigns itself.

I think the game is better without that kind of teleportation, but it sure looks cool!

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it has portals, using the songs to travel and the green stone in dungeons. I know that he planned to use them as puzzle like portal but , technically it has them.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean it has portals, using the songs to travel and the green stone in dungeons. I know that he planned to use them as puzzle like portal but , technically it has them.

Isn’t that ‘teleportation’ though as opposed to ‘portals’? SM64 used the former AFAIK for the endless stairs and it’s been a while since I played OoT.

The first part of the video looks like an actual ‘portal’.

Reactions: Shadowfied

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit this came out of nowhere! That transition animation was buttery smooth too. When the camera enters the crystal, it seems to retain the orientation of the crystal, and then slowly realigns itself.

I think the game is better without that kind of teleportation, but it sure looks cool!
I think the effect would quickly have gone to shit once the perspective would have been properly implemented as a third person game.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just recently made a VR MOD for Zelda 64 .. & if you are a big Zelda fan like myself it was quite a randomly fun experience.. very janky & un polished but definitely playable .. i like VR Games but i still get motion sick after a while depending on what im playing Pavlov VR has many Zelda Maps to play Team deathmatches on ... we was trying a few last night Zelda Wind Waker .. was fun

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 1st person view only? Maybe due to technical limitations on the N64, but why this idea was never implemented in any other Zelda is beyond me. It looks basic but it has potential.
@1B51004 I wouldn't say this is Portal like, it's still very basic here, without mentioning not having the ability to open portals at will, no dual portal setup, no puzzles in sight, etc.
But the idea has potential specially in a Zelda game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1