Hacking Formatting wbfs in windows

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have a Freeagent pro, yeah I know, probably the worst drive to use for the loader.
I can't for the life of me, format it in wondows (one of teh steps you need for the wii to recognize the drive).

I used Fat32format (in both WinXP and Vista 64) and got past that step.
After that I tried to use many of the gui's to try to format the drive. Just can't do it. It keeps giving me errors. Drive not found, can't open drive, etc. I've tried wbfs_win.exe X init in Dos, and only once I got an OK. But after I did I still canty see the device in any of the gui's.

Can anyone make a suggestion

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Have you been assigning a drive letter after formatting it to FAT32?

Yes, I have a drive letter after formatting my drive to Fat32. It is K.

OK, I got the WBFS on my XP machine. Now I'm loading a backup on it via a backup CD.
After it copies the game, I'll try to get the drive too work on the Wii.
I know a bunch of people have had problems, hopefully I can figure it out.

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, no luck with the drive on the wii. I've tried unplugging and replugging all at different times. No luck.
I just can't get it to work. I've been at it for hours.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Moose13 said:
OK, no luck with the drive on the wii. I've tried unplugging and replugging all at different times. No luck.
I just can't get it to work. I've been at it for hours.
1- format to FAT32 . ( don't make multi partitions please . only one primary partition
wink.gif
)
2- use WBFS Manager 2.2 to format to WBFS .
3- load one game from ISO ( not CD ) .
4- connect to wii when both devices are off ( no other devices should be connected via USB but the HDD )
5- power HDD first then the Wii then run the loader ( again nothing else should be connected but your HDD )
6- your game should be listed there
wink.gif

good luck

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Vista 64...
I formatted using Fat32format via command prompt -> OK no problem
Tried WBFS manager (x64 version). When I try to format the drive it give me "an error occurred when trying to format the drive".
Can't do anything else with it.

I'll try to use the 32 bit version on my XP machine. Hopefully that will work.

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I ran as admin and got the drive to format. I added a few games from .iso files and that transfered successfully.
I can't see the drive on my wii. It's a Seagate FreeAgent Pro. I've tried everything, unplugging it at different times. Just can't get the wii to recognize the HDD.

AlexDP

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not sure if this'll help, but I've heard some people resolve the Wii not detecting the HDD problem using a swapping method. Look around on this forum, theres a post about it somewhere, I can't recall where...

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Does it give you a -1 error, a -6 error, or something else? -6 usually means that you need to reinstall cIOS.

It gives a -1 error.

I'll have to look up the swapping method. I just don't know what's with these Seagate drives and getting them to work. I know many people have had this problem, but I think a bunch got them working. Nothing for me (besides running off of a 2GB Flash drive)

AlexDP

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I generally avoid Seagate at all costs... had too many bad experiences with Seagate and Maxtor... WDs are the only things I get nowadays.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
seagate should be fine, a LOT of people are using them on the wii with great success. For yours, just use a usb loader that waits a bit longer.. (search, there are many)
In fact, seagate is generally great because you can turn off the sleepmode while still in the usb carriage

opzarnbee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a seagate freeagent go 320 gb. What i did was make multi partition at 100 gb wbfs...then 220 ntfs format. I have ZERO problems. Also when i made the partitions the first partition i formatted using the wii usb loader itself. But all games that i want to play play great and it's awesome. I had a WD passport essential but i had too many problems so i went with seagate.

opzarnbee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a seagate freeagent go 320 gb. What i did was make multi partition at 100 gb wbfs...then 220 ntfs format. I have ZERO problems. Also when i made the partitions the first partition i formatted using the wii usb loader itself. But all games that i want to play play great and it's awesome. I had a WD passport essential but i had too many problems so i went with seagate.

wiin00b22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Alright i had the same prob and i have a 99.9% way of gettting this to work

1.Format to FAT32
2.Click start---->Control Panel---->User accounts and family safety----->User accounts----->Click on turn user account control on or off(located at the bottom)------->Uncheck the Use User Account Control(UAC) to protect your computer---->Click ok
biggrin.gif

2.Use WBFS manager 1.0 or higher(1.0 recommended for formatting)
3.Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must be the other 0.1%.
I've tried on both a XP and Vista machine. Can see the WBFS partition and games on both machines.

When I plug it into the wii, trying plugging/unplugging and swap trick.
Nothing, NADA, ZIP....

I've given up on the Seagate, I'm sure it will come in handy someday for some other application. or maybe I'll sell it because it is only a few days old.

I already ordered a WD 750G drive, for under $60 shipped.
Check out slickdeals.net for that deal.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Moose13 said:
I've tried on both a XP and Vista machine. Can see the WBFS partition and games on both machines.

Nothing, NADA, ZIP....

I've given up on the Seagate, I'm sure it will come in handy someday for some other application. or maybe I'll sell it because it is only a few days old.

well did you try the longer-waiting usb loaders or not!

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
manias said:
Moose13 said:

Nothing, NADA, ZIP....

Which loaders have a longer wait time? There are too many out there and it's pretty confusing. Thanks...
wacko.gif

Moose13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manias said:
Moose13 said:

Nothing, NADA, ZIP....

Yes, I've tried a bunch of different loaders. Most of the recent ones have a 40+ second time out. All didn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum