Formatting to Escape Wifi Ban?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by secretchaos1, Jun 8, 2011.

Jun 8, 2011
  1. secretchaos1
    OP

Newcomer secretchaos1 Advanced Member

Canada
    Recently my family has desired the use of Netflix on my wii, however due to the wifi ban, granted to me by my dumbass brother and his friend, I am unable to access and use the service through my wii. I've read online that reformatting can lift the ban, however I have a couple of concerns before I choose to do so. I know how to backup all of my saves, channels, etc, and reload them to my wii (excluding any saves for wifi games) so losing data isn't an issue.
    My main concern is whether or not I will even be ABLE to access my homebrew channel and cIos again. My wii's disc drive has long since burnt out, and thus I would be fully dependent on the bannerbomb hack to get it set back up, and allow me to use my usbloader for gaming once again.
    My current system menu is 4.0u.

tl;dr: Is there any risk in formatting my softmodded 4.0u wii with broken disc drive, and will doing so lift my wifi ban?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Jehuty25

Member Jehuty25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You'll just have to do the softmod process all over again. Bannerbomb will still work even if your disc drive is broken as long as you aren't using SM 4.3, just test your sd card to make sure it's compatible first before doing anything.

3. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    As a added to note to tack on to what Jehuty25 said. If your SD card is compatible, and you happen to be on SM4.3J/E/U/K or you should downgrade your system menu to either 4.1 or 4.2. Please make sure your IOS for either slot is not a STUB, you could always rehack your Wii with ModMii and use the extra protection during the wizard. This will download all if not most IOS that previous SM used to run on (non stubbed versions of course) so your will not brick if your case does involve the need to downgrade. Hope this help [​IMG]

4. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    You may want to try this. I have no idea if it works or not. Wii system format probably has the same effect.

5. secretchaos1
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for your help everyone.
    Just to clarify, if I format on sys menu 4.0, my console will remain on 4.0 after formatting? If so the process will be a snap (I have 2 compatible SD cards for bannerbomb). Also the SN editing only goes so far, and was only good for use in combination with the error 20102 bypass codes, which are no longer valid (the method was also completely unusable with bypassing channel/virtual console bans).
    I also just want a confirmation that this will indeed refresh my online status, thus removing the ban.
    Thanks again to everyone who responded.

6. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    those spoilers arent gonna tag themselves, mauifrog.

7. mauifrog

United States
    I live in a messy house.

8. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    Sorry, I never had this problem...

P.S. You can update your wii upto 4.2 for bannerbomb to still work. (this just requires you to DL a different version of BannerBomb) However I do not think there are any advantages.

9. foxgrey

Member foxgrey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've never had the need to unban my wii, but I wouldn't think just a format from the menu would erase your console serial number, unless your using a homebrew utility!

10. Jehuty25

Member Jehuty25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Formatting just resets the settings to factory defaults and erases data.

11. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    What? Wiis can be banned from Wifi? What for? >_>

12. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Unless this is your second offense, you can call Nintendo and ask them to unban you. I know someone who was recently unbanned by doing this. Just don't do anymore online cheating, or you will be banned for good.

13. secretchaos1
    OP

Canada
    This would be the first offence, however I'd rather not go through all of the trouble of contacting them if I can avoid it.
    I never actually did any cheating online either XD My brother and his friend signed onto the conduit lobby if I can recall correctly, and were booted swiftly after. Only time I've hacked online is in friend matches with smash bros, and that was with synched file replacements between me and my friend.

Regardless, it seems like there's no harm in attempting the format, so I suppose I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone who helped.

14. JoostinOnline

United States
    There is no way that a format will fix it. Why are you so reluctant to make a simple phone call?

15. secretchaos1
    OP

Canada
    Yes, I've realized that now, guess I've got no choice.Guess I just don't want to be lectured or anything by some Nintendo rep.

16. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    its bound to be far more entertaining than being lectured by the anonymous ne'erdowells here though, right?

17. secretchaos1
    OP

Canada
    Point well made. I forced my brother to call them anyway. They took my address, number and MAC Address and said they'd call back in a day or two, and that they wouldn't necessarily unban it. I figure this is cause they're gonna do a check to see if it's been done before or something.

18. Remy SF3

Newcomer Remy SF3 Member

United States
    Hey there,

Maybe this will help. If you're looking to just use Netflix, what I did was use Wad Manager and installed the Netflix channel and it worked, but I still cannot play online for the same reasons. My second Wii works normally, so I don't really worry much.

19. mauifrog

United States
    Perhaps you could try loading Netflix via gecko with the mac spoof code.

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    First I think we should wait and see if the easy and practical method (calling Nintendo instead of worrying about finding work-arounds) is successful.