Formatting the Wii Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gjac1, Jul 29, 2009.

Jul 29, 2009

Formatting the Wii Question by gjac1 at 5:42 PM (1,791 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If i format the Wii Hard Drive to get rid of saves and channels, will this do anything to all the softmod stuff i have on there like the cIOS etc ??

Thanks

2. r9delta

Banned r9delta Banned

United States
    It won't get rid of any cIOS or any IOS you've installed for that matter. Stuff like DVDX will still be there. Basically the only thing you'd have to put back on is the homebrew channel.

3. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thank you very much for your reply [​IMG]

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Be warned that if you have Preloader you might brick if you reformat.

5. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I suggest update first (use AnyRegionChanger or something) over your current system menu: if you are on 4.1e reinstall 4.1e just incase any cios / preloader cause a brick when formatting.

Just incase you have used anything like cioscorp in the past.

edit: fenir beat me to it [​IMG]

6. muzz

Member muzz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Be advised your friend code will change post format.

I didn't loose any of my IOS changes, it wiped my message board, wifi settings, saved games and other preferences.

7. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    hmmm, bit more worried about doing it now :S

I used the twilight hack to get the softmod going, install dvdx, the cISO and the backup lancher....i didnt install anything else like preloader or bootmii etc.....

Will any of that make a difference ??

8. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    nah should be fine then

9. muzz

United States
    If you can install bootmii via boot2 I would highly suggest doing so and taking a dump. Yes, but not that kind of dump. You can always go back if you're unhappy with the results, format will not wipe out your boot2. If I remember correctly, I didn't loose my HBC....I thought I'd loose my rights to the Wii Shop stuff purchased but it still kept that info, I can't say if it will for you but something else to consider.

10. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks again for your help [​IMG]

I am formatting because USB LoaderGX seems to have mesesd something up....i played Rune Factory from the HDD and now, whenever the dvd version of it is in the Wii dvd drive, the wii tells me my files are corrupted....and it only does it with the rune factory dvd :S weird yes....

11. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

I am hoping that formatting will solve a problem that i have (as explained in the post above) , so maybe making a backup of whats on it now might not be a good idea :S

I dont have any shop points or anything like that so the shop channel stuff should be ok [​IMG]

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

12. muzz

United States
    Formatting seems like a drastic measure, I would try to find the answer first. Can you install bootmii as boot2? Seriously before you format I would highly recommend boot2 install if possible dumping then formatting. What if you format and your problem is unresolved? Since you sight this with a single title I am suspect of the disc maybe?

13. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The game works perfect on dvd, i played it yesterday, and works as long as its not in the drive when i turn the wii on...

i install usb loader gx today, put the game (rune factory) on the hdd and played it via that....just by chance, i left the game in the dvd drive and now it just tells me my files are corrupt...but like i said, only with that 1 game, so there has to be a conflict somewhere...

I think your right, it does seem drastic especially just because 1 game (if left in the drive when i first turn the wii on) makes the wii crash, but its annoying to know its happening and i wish it wouldnt lol :S

Thanks again

14. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I just did the format but it didnt solve my problem [​IMG]

Whats the best way to get the HBC channel back onto my Wii now ??

15. ToneEQ

Member ToneEQ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hackmii installer via Bannerbomb.

Like the others have mentioned, strongly recommend BootMii install and NAND backup if you're going to be doing tinkering.

16. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes it doesn't matter if you make a NAND backup of a state that isn't COMPLETELY working. As long as it is still able to do something it's better than nothing. A NAND backup is like a system restore point. You can make as many of them as you want and back them up to your PC at any point you want. That's why you should have made one before formatting so you didn't have to pointlessly lose all that data on your Wii. (Formatting is generally never a good solution to anything.)

So run the hackmii installer through bannerbomb now and reinstall the HBC and install bootmii while you're in it as well.

17. muzz

United States
    Sorry to hear your problem wasn't solved. What happens if you insert the game after the sysmenu has loaded? Does it appear in the disc channel? Will it play? Maybe that should've been suggested earlier as a test, again I did say formatting for your issue was drastic and a little more time and effort probably would've paid off for you in the long run. If it were all titles in the drive causing your symptom I would've been more concerned; for one game that you had an alternative method playing figuring out what was up with that one game would've been my focus as the source of the issue, not the usb loader. How are you progressing?

18. gjac1
    OP

Member gjac1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks again guys for the help.

Here is what happens with that 1 game.

Turn Wii on with the game in the drive = "The System Files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting" , you can hear the game load up in the drive then it stops and the message appears.

Insert the game after the system menu has loaded up = "An error has occurred. Press the eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii Operations Manual for troubleshooting"

The game doesnt appear in the disc channel at all, it doesnt have time to, its as soon as its loaded i get either of those errors.

But if i start NeoGamma and then insert the game, the game will work...its very weird

19. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The only way I have found to COMPLETELY format the Wii and get it back to out of the box condition is to first do the Nintendo update and THEN format the console. You will be greeted with the initial setup screen when it reboots. Of course at this point in time you would have to be on a lesser firmware than the current v4.1 on the Nintendo server to perform this update to begin with. Bannerbomb still works on v4.1 so now is a pretty good time to do it should you want to get your machine cleaned up.

I actually did this and performed a bootmii nand backup (boot2) right after the format (when the system shuts down). So, now I have a Nand backup of the system before its "first power on"....just in case I would ever like to bring it back to "out of the box" condition. Pretty neat.

20. muzz

United States
    You say you don't have preloader or bootmii installed. Formatting will not replace/reinstall your sysmenu. Perhaps try reinstalling the sysmenu for your version/region and that may resolve it, from the sounds of it the disc sounds more like the issue. Have a friend with a Wii? Bring it over stick it in his and freak him out and tell him you broke it [​IMG]