Hacking Formatting new Drive NTFS/FAT32?

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I am trying to update my wii setup after about a year. I had been using an old USB2.0 hdd for compatibility with DM, but with Nintendont as a better option nowadays, I switched to a new 1TB hdd.

My question is whether to format FAT32 or NTFS on the new drive.

My old drive was FAT32, but is NTFS now a better option now?

My dual layer games are already split on my old drive so the 4GB FAT limit is not an issue, but I remember before GX emulators and other homebrew needed a single FAT32 formatted partition to work, but I haven't seen online if this is still the case.

Are there any reasons to still use FAT32 now, and what are some advantages of using an NTFS formatted drive?

Also, if using Nintendont from a USB Loader, are there any recommended current loaders? I always liked CFGLoader the best but it seems to have not been updated in some time.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

Corredor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
USB Loader Gx works fine with Nintendont. For me, it is the best USB Loader.

Enviado de meu 6039J usando Tapatalk

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, can you link me USB loader gx that will work with nintendont? I am using the newest cfg I can find, with little luck.

What is supposed to happen when you launch a GC game with nintendont?

Right now, when I click launch from cfg, it opens up nintendont, but I still have to manually pick them game again. If i turn on auto start, it just launches pn03 every time lol.

Corredor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmmm, can you link me USB loader gx that will work with nintendont? I am using the newest cfg I can find, with little luck.

What is supposed to happen when you launch a GC game with nintendont?

Right now, when I click launch from cfg, it opens up nintendont, but I still have to manually pick them game again. If i turn on auto start, it just launches pn03 every time lol.
Here you can download the latest version of USB Loader GX (r1260) : https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/Releases/New revisions (3.0+)/

If you want a Fowarder, take the latest version here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/us...er GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT.wad/download

Gamecube game will be displayed together with Wii Games (select this option by clicking on the fourth superior icon, from left to right).

Enviado de meu 6039J usando Tapatalk

Last edited by Corredor,
Reactions: dmonkey21

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is frustrating, the USB Loader you linked isn't working for me either :(

I see all my GC Games (as I do also in CFG) but there are no options for Nintendont at all, just DML/DEVO.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is frustrating, the USB Loader you linked isn't working for me either :(

I see all my GC Games (as I do also in CFG) but there are no options for Nintendont at all, just DML/DEVO.

Are you sure you downloaded r1260 and you don't have the old full channel version installed? Look in the credits page and make sure it says r1260 on it.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you downloaded r1260 and you don't have the old full channel version installed? Look in the credits page and make sure it says r1260 on it.

I somehow did NOT have the most recent file, I feel kind of stupid haha.

I now have 1260, loaded up and recognizing all my games, as well as nintendont...

Everything is working! A small thing, is that games are booting a lot slower than they do when launched through the nintendont app... Any way to fix this?

Also, using the controller code to exit a game (l+r+b+down) freezes the games.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if "slow" is what I noticed too, but launching a game for the first time was very slow. Probably taking time to generate the memory card.
Next launch of the same game is faster.
I don't know if it was a HDD issue or nintendont issue (I couldn't do a lot of test, it wasn't my console/hardware).

I never had any issue on my console and hdd.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't return to the loader make sure you have the latest (v5.1) forwarder channel installed for the console you have. vWii and Wii use separate ones.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if "slow" is what I noticed too, but launching a game for the first time was very slow. Probably taking time to generate the memory card.
Next launch of the same game is faster.
I don't know if it was a HDD issue or nintendont issue (I couldn't do a lot of test, it wasn't my console/hardware).

I never had any issue on my console and hdd.

Ah, you are right! I had the default setting of individual 251block memory card for each game. They are much faster to boot the second time around.
As a followup question, is there a reliable way to merge my true memcard GC saves with save files created for nintendont?
I currently have them backed up to HDD via GCMM (as .gci files if I understand correctly), and Nintendont creates .raw memcard files, correct? I am just unsure how to merge those two types, but if possible I'd like to have my original GC saves accessible from the HDD save files Nintendont creates on the USB.

If you can't return to the loader make sure you have the latest (v5.1) forwarder channel installed for the console you have. vWii and Wii use separate ones.

That did the trick as well!
Just out of curiosity, can you explain a bit about what ahbprot 5.1 means? The return to loader is currently working booting from the forwarder wad, but wasn't working before when USB Loader GX was launched from HBC. Is this because I did not have the ahbprot tag set in meta.xml? I am unclear on what AHBPROT actually means, and I am having trouble finding info online.

Thank you all for your help with this, it is very much appreciated.

Last edited by dmonkey21,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AHBPROT stands for Advanced High-performance Bus Protection. As far as the Wii is concerned it's a gatekeeper to keep the PowerPC processor from having full access to the rest of the hardware, which is a security issue if you're trying to protect from hacking the title authentication.

Turning it "on" is actually disabling it so the homebrew can use the networking, disc interface, etc. without restriction.

5.1 is just the version of the forwarder. :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
gci are individual game's data stored on a memory card.
the .raw format is a copy of the full memory card (all games).

You can use Dolphin emulator to manage your memory card's content and insert/extract individual gci files.
There is a memory card manager option in that emulator.

I thought the slow issue was something on my side, but if you are also experimenting it then it's maybe something due to recent changed in nintendont.
Maybe you should report it in the main nintendont thread, telling that I also reported that problem few page ago (start of september).
having more users report it will raise interest to that issue.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gci are individual game's data stored on a memory card.
the .raw format is a copy of the full memory card (all games).

You can use Dolphin emulator to manage your memory card's content and insert/extract individual gci files.
There is a memory card manager option in that emulator.

I thought the slow issue was something on my side, but if you are also experimenting it then it's maybe something due to recent changed in nintendont.
Maybe you should report it in the main nintendont thread, telling that I also reported that problem few page ago (start of september).
having more users report it will raise interest to that issue.

Great thank you!

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will post something about the slow nintendont loading. It seems like some sort of bug; I modded my brother's wii this weekend, and his had no problem loading, even when creating the memory card file for the first time.

Is there any other info I should post in the nintendont thread?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name in chat :ninja: