Formatting an SD Card

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MetaKz, Apr 28, 2007.

Apr 28, 2007

Formatting an SD Card by MetaKz at 2:22 AM (839 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. MetaKz
    OP

Newcomer MetaKz Advanced Member

Canada
    So my microSD card ended up getting corrupted, and I am trying to format it so I can get it working again.

So I go into my computer, right click on the drive with my SD Card in it and choose Format.
    That brings me to the format window (of course) and I change the settings to FAT(default) and 16kb (cluster size or whatever).
    But this is where the problem starts [​IMG]
    I am able to Quick Format my SD Card, but I can't Format the SD Card unless I have the Quick Format box checked (Windows can never seem to complete the format when I try to do a non-Quick Format).

So sure, I can't do an actual format, Quick Format should be good enough right? [​IMG] Nope. Whenever I load up some games on it and try to play them on my SCLite, they end up freezing in my face. [​IMG] It kinda sucks.. sometimes the files get corrupted again.

My next bet is to find out how to get Windows to do a more thorough format, does anyone have any suggestions?

*Shakes fist at SD Card*

2. TheBlueStylus

Newcomer TheBlueStylus Advanced Member

United States
    To me that sounds like its a busted card already. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion to fix it. All I can try suggesting is try running chkdsk on it perhaps that might fix it, then format with a default cluster size just to see if it works.

3. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Something is wrong; I would first try using the HP USB format tool.
    If that don’t work I would then try another USB reader & format again.

HP USB format tool (Freeware)
    http://tinyurl.com/yw8ccb

4. MetaKz
    OP

Newcomer MetaKz Advanced Member

Canada
    Thanks for the program [​IMG]

Unfortunately it can't get any further than Vista. I forgot to mention that I was using 2 different readers before.. hehe oops! [​IMG] Anyway, I guess this means it's a good thing they have that 5 year warranty thing. heh. Thanks for the help guys [​IMG]

5. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia