Format Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nemix77, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009

Format Wii by Nemix77 at 5:08 AM (1,157 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Nemix77
    OP

Member Nemix77 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hey guys,

I'm planning on formatting my Wii due to freezing I experience every now and then when using the Internet Channel, Nintendo Channel and very rare Wii Options.

Just some questions:

1. Will I loose my custom cIOS from Format?

2. Is there a utility to backup non SD backable games saves like Mario Kart Wii and Virtual Console Saves?

3. Is there a utility to backup my Mii's?

System specs:

Wii 4.0u
    cIOS Rev 10
    HomeBrew Channel 1.0.3

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    1. No, it'll stay there

2. Not sure for 4.0...Gecko OS might do it (it did for 3.2 anyway). Also, there is supposedly a preloader hack for this. I haven't tried it though.

3. Put them on the wii remote or use the Mii Extractor on wiibrew to dump them to SD. Use Mii Installer to put them back later.

You will lose the HBC during the format. Just use bannerbomb to run the installer again.

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well I wouldn't suggest formatting a Wii that's softmodded at all unless you undo everything you've done first (which would most likely get rid of any need to format anyways) formatting is not a good method to making a "virgin" wii after softmodding it, and could very possibly brick your Wii.

4. Nemix77
    OP

Canada
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I have WiiKey 2 installed. [​IMG]

For question 1. would Save Game Extractor/Installer 1.0 work for Mario Kart Wii saves?

5. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'd use Save Game Manager (Extractor/Installerc combined) now, but yes, those apps should work as long as you have a disc of MK (retail/backup doesn't matter since you have a chip).

6. Nemix77
    OP

Canada
    Thank you all for quick reply, I'll give it a try and unless I post otherwise assume I am successful.

[​IMG]

7. Nemix77
    OP

Canada
    Update, I was semi successful backing up my Wii and re-formatting.

Here's why:

1. GameSaves Manager 1.0 Alpha 3 gave me error ret 106 and -1 when trying to re-install backup saves. But I still have backup saves when it's fixed in future release. [​IMG] Mario Kart Wii & COD WaW

2. I lost my Internet Channel and 500 Wii Points, I thought they would somehow link to my ClubNintendo Member for re-downloading. [​IMG] Will call Nintendo.

Other than that everything went pretty smooth, all games saves that say 'some data cannot be tranfered' with normal SD backup works. e.g: Virtual Console, Mario Strikers and Battalion.

Thanks so many for all your help guys. [​IMG]

8. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    you lost your account because you chose not to keep it linked...

9. Nemix77
    OP

Canada
    But Nintendo reccomended I unlink before Format? LOL

That is false recommendation by Nintendo and did not inform me whether I won't be able to recover my Wii Points by doing so.

I'll speak with them on my case and chaces are they will change the notice in next firmware update if they agree to give me back my points. LOL