Format SD card to play WiiU, Wii, and Gamecube backups

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Jadon, May 31, 2016.

1. Jadon
    OP

Jadon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    I purchased a 128GB SD card to handle my game backups. I would like to use Loadiine for the WiiU games, USBLoaderGX for the Wii Games, and Nintendont for the Gamecube games. However, I would like to have the games all loaded on the SD card, so I don't have to have an external USB drive. Is that possible and is there a special way I need to format my SD card to do this?

2. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    Format it to FAT32 with an allocation size of 64kb and see how it goes.
    If the vWii works fine with such big SD cards, and with SD cards formatted with a 64kb cluster size, then it should work.

Last edited by yoshinatsu, May 31, 2016
  3. Jadon
    OP

Jadon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    Has anybody done this? Can anyone confirm that it is working?

4. vanartic

vanartic Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2016
    Italy
    most people here will suggest you try this little program to format your SD card, instead of the default format function built in windows

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

i made a test similar to yours, the only difference is that im using a real wii instead of vWii, works just fine
    your only problem will be managing those 128gb; just depends on what games you put in tbh

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    This is pretty standard, to be honest.

Use fat32format to format the card. Recommended to use 64k cluster size (i.e. 65536 allocation unit size).

6. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You already bought the card so why do you need an answer from gbatemp if it works? Kinda silly don't you think? Format it with the gui program linked above and give it a try. I personally wouldn't do it this way because 128gb may be fine for wiiu but the wii has a shit ton more homebrew and games. My 128gb sd in the wii u is chock full of Wii u games. No room for Wii stuff.

7. Jadon
    OP

Jadon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    @Kafluke
    I did indeed buy the card. I don't think it's a silly question at all. I wasn't sure if the card would need to be partitioned or have some other special setup. I read through the forums but couldn't find where anybody was using this type of configuration. I didn't want to buy the necessary game to install the exploit for the vWii, spend the time setting it up, only to realize that it wouldn't work with my SD card. The games that are important for me will easily fit on 128GB of space.

Have you every heard the phrase "Measure twice and cut one"? That's what I'm trying to do here.

8. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Don't worry. The vWii, GameCube and Wii U stuff can all safely co-exist on the same partition. It just has to be FAT32.

9. Jadon
    OP

Jadon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    Thank you - that's very helpful. I've already formatted using fat32format, but I'll have to check to be sure it's in a 64k cluster.

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Use the GUI version of fat32format http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
    On there, set Allocation Unit Size to 65536. That will format as 64k cluster.

64k cluster does mean that files may use marginally more space on the card than 32k cluster, but read speed will be much faster. This will make a difference with Wii U games.

11. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Fair enough. The information is there in the stickies but sometimes it's spread out a bit. There are absolutely no reasons that your setup won't work the way you intend it to if you format it as suggested. Don't use Windows to format it.

12. Jadon
    OP

Jadon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    Copy that. Thanks guys, I'll give it a go!

13. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    How is the loading speed versus HDD? In vWii, Wii/GCN games.
    I kinda like having all vWii side stored in SD, but not convinced yet...