Forgot to dump BOOT0 and BOOT1 when dumping nand; can I restore?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Plump, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM.

1. Plump
    OP

Plump Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2016
    I'll write this without any reasons behind stuff so you all can read this quickly.
    Before I started playing the leaked smash game I dumped my NAND, and moved it to another drive. But now when I got smash ultimate in my hand I wanted to restore my nand so i searched it up and said I needed a BOOT0 and BOOT1 file, which I didn't have. only rawnand files. Since I pirated smash and loaded a bunch of mods I guess dumping the current BOOT0/1 won't restore it correctly? Can I restore it without the boot files? If I can't go back I won't be able to play smash online again for sure ;c

2. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    No Boot0/Boot1 backup, = no restore afaik.

3. Plump
    OP

Plump Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2016
    Well, time to buy a new switch

4. ScarletDreamz

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
  5. Ferris1000

Ferris1000 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2017
    Germany
    If I remember correctly you can create boot 0 and boot 1 with a tool which was used for updating the switch manually back in the days, you just need the firmware extraction tool, the correct firmware and your keys.
    I'm not preaty shure because i used it just one time

6. ScarletDreamz

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    thats exactly the link i shared C:

7. Ferris1000

Ferris1000 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2017
    Germany
    ScarletDreamz likes this.
  8. Plump
    OP

Plump Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2016
    Where is the recreate tutorial part? I searched for "recreate" and Nand and went through all of the ones that came up and found nothing about remaking them. I'm too lazy to read the whole thing to find it

9. achuk

achuk Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2016
    As Ferris said though do you have your switch keys? If not you're outta luck

10. Plump
    OP

Plump Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2016
    Would the switch keys be saved in the backups folder?

11. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    You can definitely get the boot0 and boot1 files. I accidentally restored a NAND backup before realising I forgot to back them up.
    If you're in the same position as I was and already downgraded, all you need to do is get the boot0 and boot1 files for the correct firmware. You can get them by extracting the update files if my memory serves.

Edit: If you're restoring to the same firmware as before, I don't think you actually need them. Only if you're restoring to a different one.

Last edited by Scarlet, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:40 PM
  12. Plump
    OP

Plump Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2016
    since I'm seriously super new to switch modding please explain what all you're saying means, like where do i extract update files? etc. I feel so bad tho, you must say so much for me lmao

13. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Basically just follow the guide posted earlier (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/) using the firmware files of your backup. So if your backup is for firmware 5.1.0, get the update files for 5.1.0. You only need to follow it to the part where it talks about flashing the boot0 and boot1. After that, your backup should work fine.

Of course, this is just going off my experience. Before you restore, make another complete backup (including boot0 and boot1 this time). That way, even if it goes wrong, you can go back to a working state and try again.

14. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States

Pointless, since it'll be the "unhackable" revision by this point

15. Plump
    OP

Plump Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2016
    not planning to hack, just wanted to play smash early lmao