Forget about the Pirates ? No Copyprotection ftw ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by pasc, Apr 5, 2008.

Apr 5, 2008
  1. pasc
    OP

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    In a article Brad Wardell stated that it isn't important to try locking software pirates out, rather encouraging potential customers to buy the products is more important.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...he-pirates.html

Now tell that sony anyone ?

2. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Awesome [​IMG]
    Every game company should do this. It's better for the people who actually BUY the games, and the pirates will always find a way around it anyway. Always. No exceptions. That's just the way it is for computer games. Console games are a bit different since it's much more of a hassle, you normally need some kind of hardware modification. (aka modchip)

3. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Well aren't they going to lose a lot of money if there is no encryption?

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Like I keep telling people, piracy does not really affect the games industry.

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Sure I could pirate a game, but if it's good enough then I'll buy the game.

6. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Exactly

7. Minox

Sweden
    Some people might not buy a single game because they're pirating it, but since there's people who buy the game even though they've actually pirated it before then it just proves that these games were good.

8. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Exactly. the only reason I buy games as rarely as I do is because I have almost no money, but I buy what I can.

9. Minox

Sweden
    Off-topic (kinda):

10. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Copy protection isn't free.

For one thing it's software, you still get to spend time, and money producing it.

Second, it angers honest customers, they get mad, and decide to not buy the game. Yes I do indeed see this happen. That's not a lost sale because someone stole a free copy, that's a lost sale you might have actually made in the first place.

I've never seen ANY game fail to show up as a download. Not a single game, not one. Even the crap, the obscure the unlikely are there. Reason, pirates can crack anything.

So while piracy will always be illegal, copy protection is not really a guarantee. And it cost you money to make the copy protection that didn't work.

Galactic Civ 2 is my fav example of how to get a good game into massive circulation and ignore the problem of piracy. Make them work for you.

11. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It only works on opposite ends - extremely good protection like Bioshock's which took 2 weeks to crack (And I know plenty of people who bought it because of this) or no encryption - which really only works if you have a good fanbase already (like GalCiv).

12. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    How is taking 2 weeks to crack CP regarded as "good" ?

I mean I am POSITIVE it took them longer than 2 weeks to generate that CP. So lets ponder how much staff time, and resources went into that CP. And it was essentially worthless after just 2 weeks worth of attention from pirates.

Assume for arguments sake, you don't even know that the game is on the market for those 2 weeks. The wait is rendered pointless. It's not like you were forced to wait 2 weeks or be forced to buy it.

Assume for arguments sake you simply can't afford to buy it the month it comes out. Well in 2 weeks time it's moot, you don't need to care.

If it took a full YEAR to break the CP, THAT would be worth it. Because if the game hasn't sold well in a year, it's unlikely it's any good, and odds are no one will want to pirate it either paradoxically.

If you make a good game, and actually TELL people to spread it around, and make it so the first part of the game is the defacto demo, it is possible you can repeat the Galactic Civ example. No guarantees of course. But life never comes with those.

I've read the nfo's written by pirates. Those jerks actually think they are doing the company a favour by circulating their games without permission. They even state "if you liked this game, support the company and buy it". What incredible brain dead thinking. If they liked the company, they wouldn't crack the f**king CP now would they?

13. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Who didn't know that Bioshock was coming out? And I highly doubt the dev team had anything to do with the copy protection. 2K probably just bought it with all their cash.

Compared to pirates that get games weeks before they come out, or the same day they do, 2 weeks is a massive amount of time.

14. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    2 weeks is a lifetime in politics and piracy [​IMG]

In this game, 2 weeks is forever ...

Haven't you noticed how ravenous people are for new releases, and then once they have those releases, they couldn't care less?

It's a bleeding edge mentality ... newer than new, or GTFO ...

15. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The sad irony is that copy protection usually hurts the consumer more than the pirate, as may've been stated here before. Some companies go all-out too.

"Yeah, we need to make sure that you're connected to the net at ALL TIMES, or hell, we just might as well delete your entire computer."
    "But, but...I'm playing Single Player...?"

16. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

a Not Pirated game =/= a Sold game.