Hacking Force all games to run in NTSC mode from Wii Menu?

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello there. I have a few rather annoying problems that I hope some of you may be able to help me with here in GBAtemp. I am still pretty new when it comes to soft-modding a Wii so I don't know all the possibilities and features that you can do using apps and the like, just so you aware if I make an idiot out of myself.

Alright, let's get to my rather annoying problems shall we. Well my problems are pretty easy to explain, basically I own a White European Wii (Firmware 4.2E) and I wish to play NTSC games on it.
I have actually found an easy solution to play NTSC games in NTSC video mode, and I'm using USB Loader GX to do just that.
HOWEVER, it doesn't make all things that convenient. The fact that I have to start the USB Loader GX app all the time when I wish to play a NTSC game is starting to get quite annoying, and there are also some other problems that I have with the app and NTSC games in general.

Here are all the problems that I am experiencing in detail:
  • Is it possible to force all channels (or at least some of them?) to run in NTSC mode by using the ordinary Wii Menu, instead of having to open up USB Loader GX? If it is possible, what do I need to do that?
  • When I reset a game that I started with USB Loader GX from the HOME Menu, the game will revert back to PAL mode which causes the game to run slowly. This is pretty annoying since I have to go back to the Wii Menu, open up USB Loader GX and then start the game all over again. How do I stop that from happening?
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask NTSC-U refuses to play in NTSC video mode properly for some unknown reason. It will only play in PAL no matter what settings I choose. All other NTSC .wad games that I have installed work fine using USB Loader GX. How come?
Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone reading this thread, I hope I been informative enough about my problems.

Reactions: Margen67

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bump.

To further elaborate on my problem, I basically want to play NTSC games in NTSC video mode without having to use a loader all the time. I noticed that the "Any Region Changer" app got a setting where you can change the video mode for games, but I'm too scared to try it out since I have heard it's pretty risky to use. And I don't know if it would be possible to keep my firmware to PAL while doing it.

And in case you're wondering why I want to play NTSC games, it's because older PAL games run at 50Hz, which causes the game to run around 17% slower than 60Hz. Some games also suffer from worse framerate if they are PAL, such as OoT and Majora's Mask.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
no "Any Region Changer" DOES NOT change the video mode for games, it change the console setting and hence it is NOT possible to keep your firmware to PAL while doing it.
Not all Pal games can run in 60Hz mode even if you forced it.

If you have Priiloader installed, you can set it to boot directly into USBloadergx every time you reboot your console, thus replacing the system menu.

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What does this setting in "Any Region Changer" mean, then? This is what I noticed at first.

mwKSvQ2.png

There's got to be a better way than having to use a loader all the time, hopefully? I don't see why changing the set video mode in the Wii console should be an impossible task, unless I am heavily underestimating what the Wii is capable of.

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi hello, any region changer is designed to make a permanent change to the region of the wii. I guess you can do it again to change it to another region but is not recommended. I have a black Japanese wii and softmod to a European wii. So I can use my UK apps such as I player etc...

I suggest reviewing this.. let me know how you get on

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer

Reactions: Margen67

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to take a look at the Modmii Region Changer guide, and it says the following:

Look at "Console Video Mode" and make a note of what setting you have. Then go down to "Auto set from System Menu Region" and press "A". When asked if you want to save, choose "No". Then go to "Console Video Mode" and change it back to your original setting.

According to this I should continue using PAL for the Video Mode if I wish to change it to NTSC, which defeats the whole purpose. Do you know if changing the video mode to NTSC anyway would work?

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually... Would this help your region issues have you got Priiloader installed?

Check out the region free options

Region free wii games
Region free channels

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I already got Priiloader installed, and games out of my region will work just fine. However, the video mode will still force to PAL for all games if I try to start a game from the Wii System Menu.

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I already got Priiloader installed, and games out of my region will work just fine. However, the video mode will still force to PAL for all games if I try to start a game from the Wii System Menu.
Which games does this n64 ones? The slow down the games is ntsc but runs pal because he wii is pal?

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, NTSC games will not run at the correct refresh rate because my Wii is PAL, so they tend to run around 17 % slower. Some of the NTSC games also refuse to even boot.

If I use a loader to start the game, for an example USB Loader GX, I can force the game to run in NTSC, which works. I would like to make it so I don't have to start the loader all the time though when I need to start the game each time.

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would give the region changer a try, but the guide for it is confusing me because it tells you to keep the video mode to the default setting, which in my case is PAL.

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where in the menu is the default setting you speak off. Any region changer works fine. I reccomend doing some homework on YouTube first

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a "Console Video Mode" setting in the Any Region Changer, and I did watch a YouTube video showing the process.

In the YouTube video and the MODmii guide they tell you to keep your default console video mode setting when changing region, which is basically the video mode that your Wii has. In my case the guide tells me to keep using PAL if I change to a different region, and if I do that then I will keep having the same problem.

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need to touch that, Changing the region to usa shud change this from pal to ntsc in yr case....

Also

CHANGES MADE TO THE CONSOLE AREA SETTING SHOULD ALWAYS BE ACCOMPANIED BY A SYSTEM MENU CHANGE TO THE SAME REGION!

This go hand in hand, that's all you have to change. I suggest to have a play with the menu to understand how it behaves. u will find that once you have changes to usa on sys menu and console area. The rest of the option changes itself.

Don't be scared to do it just make you are clear about it. Drop me a pm before you do it if you like.

I gave done it from jap ntsc to pal UK works a treat.

GreenJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I gave the ModMii guide a try right now, but when I start the "ARC 1.1b mod06 Offline" app it just freezes my Wii. It won't allow any inputs from my Wiimote or Gamecube Controller, and my Wiimote will keep blinking blue. I have to hold down the power button to turn the Wii console off.

Here is the guide I used: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86694599/ModMii_Region_Change_Guide.html

I decided to go with downgrading to system menu 4.1 since that was the recommended choice according to ModMii. Only thing I did differently to the guide was to use a different WAD installer (Yet Another Wad Mod Manager EN), I used it because it supports Wii MotionPlus controllers.

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

How did you get on? have you done the above? You can upgrade to 4.3 later on after you have changed your firmware region.

Let us know how you are doing

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried using a component cable and setting the system menu to 480p? Then PAL and NTSC games should both happily run at 60hz. I never needed to force a video mode for the game that refuse to run in the wrong video mode, because 480p mode is the same for NTSC & PAL.

It seems a whole lot less hassle than changing your region anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: