Hacking Force 480p on PAL PS3 Slim via CFW?

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I have a PAL PS3 Slim with the most current Rebug CFW. For PS2 games I'd like to set the image output of the console to 480p (I'm using a mcable which upscales 480p perfectly so I don't want the PS3 to upscale the image to 720p), but PAL consoles only have 576i/p image output as the lowest parameter. Can I somehow force 480p image output via CFW?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can indeed convert your console from PAL to NTSC and that will influence the resolution/vertical frequency in "standard" mode by editing the registry (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f149/sw...-576i-p-50hz-ntsc-480p-60hz-84169/#post786615) - though I don't remember how exactly I did it, or if it affects progressive/digital output (I only use analog RGB cables and was fed up with blurry 60-to-50 conversions)

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is this safe:

/setting/system/region (change this from 0 to 1) your console now plays games in ntsc 60hz.
/setting/bddvd/dvdRegionCode (change from 2 to 1) should allow ntsc dvds
/setting/bddvd/bdRegionCode (change from 2 to 1) should allow ntsc bluerays.
/setting/display/tvSystem (change from 1 to 0) makes xmb display in ntsc 60hz 480.
this should allow you to completely convert your pal system to ntsc within minutes. the only way to tell you have a pal is by looking at the console!

I just don't want to break anything by changing any registry files.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think I only changed tvSystem and that was enough (or maybe the first one too, definitely not the bluray/dvd movie region as I don't own any - and you can change those in webman full version anyway)

Wazzy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I guess I'll need to look into the registry change thing then. Still a bit afraid of bricking the system tbh.
i know im like 4 years late but did you ever try and edit the xregistry file and did it work?
Post automatically merged:

OK, I guess I'll need to look into the registry change thing then. Still a bit afraid of bricking the system tbh.
i know im like 4 years late but did you ever try and edit the xregistry file and did it work?

kohan69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did these

/setting/system/region (change this from 0 to 1) your console now plays games in ntsc 60hz.
/setting/display/tvSystem (change from 1 to 0) makes xmb display in ntsc 60hz 480.

and a couple of others that seemed relevant found here:

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/XRegistry.sys

Using xRegistryEditor075
after each value change, press save button

Before closing, click File>Save, File>Exit to actually save changes

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did these

and a couple of others that seemed relevant found here:

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/XRegistry.sys

Using xRegistryEditor075
after each value change, press save button

Before closing, click File>Save, File>Exit to actually save changes
Neat.

I've thought about buying a Japanese fat PS3 from Amazon Japan as they're cheap and got other colors than black, so this is certainly useful to change any settings that aren't accessible via the console.

The white and silver fat PS3s look really stylish (maybe not in person, though).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse