Gaming For SFIV: Xbox 360 Controller, or Fight Pad?

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which of the two is better? I like the 6 face buttons of the Fight Pad, but I heard that the quality of the D-pad and the buttons themselves are pretty shitty.

Don't want to get a stick either; too expensive for my budget. Plus, it's not readily available around my area, save for a few specialty shops a town away.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
360 d-pad is shitty anyway, I hated playing fighters with it.

For fighters its always better to get a stick, as long as its a quality one but its really down to you and how you can stand playing this game with a pad.

D

Deleted User

As Hadrian said, the 360 d-pad is really awful to do anything with, let alone playing a fighting game.

I can't comment on the fighting pads but imo the best option is to get a stick. Since these are quite expensive I can understand why you're hesitating.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been hearing that the Fight Pad is just shy of fucking stunning. Its based off of the Saturn controller, and its getting great reviews (..not official reviews, haven't looked into them yet, but a bunch of friends have the pad, and they LOVE it).

I'm wanting to get the new Mad Catz SF4 Tournament Edition Arcade Stick. Holy shit that thing is nice. Made from official arcade parts. Its like $150(USD), but the 360 version is USB so it can be used on PC (Mame & ANY capcom fighter omgomg). *drool*

Mebbe with tax return money. Wife® might go for this one!!
ohmy.gif

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WildWon said:
Been hearing that the Fight Pad is just shy of fucking stunning.

Really? A thread on GameFAQs (...) said that the D-Pad was just an oversized version of the 360 controller's D-Pad (which is a "floating" D-Pad, whatever that means =/), and the buttons were unusually resistant.

Here's the thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage....;topic=48200783

Anyways, I found a listing on Craig's List for a Hori EX2 for $60, I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pick that up.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you got the cash (and can wait cause of the backlog in orders) go with a stick from Arcade In A Box they are probably the best arcade sticks you'll get your hands on and they offer customizable options.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haruhi said:
I like the 360 d-pad more than most, but nothing beats SNES there. Best d-pad in history. Bar none.
smile.gif

Agreed prefer SNES pad to any other D-pad.

On Topic: I'd save up for a stick if you can.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Eh, personally, as great as SFIV may be, I'm not willing to shell out extra cash just to be better at it or have better controls. I'll just stick with the 360 controller and get used to it. The arcade stick seems more for like the hardcore people.

Wii-Nis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what a disapiottment...while this game is great to look at, the controls are awful ( even with control stick ). this game is to slow. so i wasted my 60 on this steaming pile of shit game, taking it back tomorrow. had to turn it off and go play MvC2.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because you're bad at it and you can't adjust you have to go off the false belief that the game is shit to feel better about yourself, okie I understand SF4 isn't very newb friendly afterall.

People insist on different set ups, it is entirely up to the preference of the one playing. I've tried playing on a stick and I just can't get comfortable with it. The motion to do the Shoryuken with a stick requires entire wrist movement, on the 360's analogue stick it's just a flick of the thumb. I do much better with the 360's analogue stick than an arcade stick. Yeah the 360's Dpad is a joke though.

The only problem I have is the 360 motions, but I'm slowly overcoming that problem. For people who are resisting on Sf4 because of the controller talk, don't worry about it.
smile.gif

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen lots of complaints about the dpad, I know it's pretty bad. But, Gaisuto, you're the only one who has mentioned the analog stick. You can use that for SF4, right? It seem like everyone is complaining about the dpad, which I don't get because the perfectly acceptable stick (mini arcade stick?) is right there.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's very much acceptable, I've even beaten some stick users over Live with it. Granted I'm not the best player in the world, it's not like I even attempt those crazy combos, it doesn't even look close to impossible to pull off if I actually tried them.

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, after actually getting the game and playing it with the 360 pad, I can safely say that I'll need a stick to get maximum enjoyment out of it. I, like Gaisuto, have no problems using the little analog stick on the 360 pad, but I hate using the shoulder buttons for punches/kicks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head